2WD to 4WD frame swap. Is it really that simple??? Help me out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
So let me ask this. $1800 for a complete frame sound right? Is that the going cost?

So I been on the hunt for a K10 Long bed and its been a roller coaster ride from hell.
either they are show trucks and to much$$$$$$ or they are rust buckets being sold as gold also.
I was looking for something in the middle and yea, no luck. So here is my new plan!!!!

I have a 85 fully loaded Silverado 2WD. I found locally a 1987 K10 long bed with body in not so good of shape.
Frame is in great condition. The only thing that concerns me is it has dual shocks up front. Never seen that,
You must be registered for see images attach

Im guessing it cant be hard to just swap frames. BUT, is the floor tunnel the same? I dont have my K20 here to compare to the 2WD
But just curious if its really this easy to swap out. Thanks

Last edited:

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Can't you get a parts truck cheaper than buying a frame? Lol
Well it is the whole truck. Im just using the complete frame. I guess its all in how bad you want something.
I searched everywhere including FB with no luck on a parts truck or just frame

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Can't you get a parts truck cheaper than buying a frame? Lol
In case you want to see the whole thing!

It comes with the original bed. Not this white one

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
It comes with free jackstands!

The dual front shocks are old crappy OEM shocks with 80's technology.

These work great $106 ON SALE NOW from $166:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C55MO2/

They fit on the Right hand LOWER shock mounts, from the picture you posted above.
The taller riveted shock mount can be removed from the upper frame, after you install these.
If you jack up the front end as high as possible, you can "just bolt them up".

These fit the rear $103:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C55MOW/

Both sets are very affordable and work great!

You do not need to use quad shocks when using modern shock technology.

Pull the hubs and make certain the fine threads and inner wheel bearing seals are not rotten.
The 2 peice lock screws get ruined in the hub because people do not use the proper lock ring socket with a proper torque wrench.
If memory serves me correctly, they torque at 195 ft/lbs. Threads must be very good where the races get torqued.

If you find crumbs of metal in there, it is fine threads contaminating your bearings from the hub and these 2 lock nut/washers.
One MUST have a pin and one will not. If the pin is busted off, it is in your bearings somewhere.
Without the pin on one of the locking nuts, the wheels can fall off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009X1X5RM/

If the seals have cut grooves into the inner bearing race shaft or sealing area on the hub, you will want to replace the axle ends and the C/V joints at the same time. It is a lot of work. Did both sides in -20 weather. Bent or damaged brake plate should be replaced too. If you go balls deep into this system, try to replace as much as possble while you are in there. Do NOT use the stoopid inner axle tubing water seals they sell. They hold moisture and cause rust inside the axle shaft tubing. Although they sound like a great idea, they are a football bat and will ruin your axle case bearings inside the axle tubes. The tubing needs to breath to dry out.

This Yukon kit has the quality rubber seals and the plastic washer included. I paid $171.00 each, five years ago. It is on sale now for $154, vs $189 normal pricing.
If you need 2 of them you had better act fast before the sale ends. Never seen them this cheap.

The Yukon quality is excellent on these hubs.
The machine work was flawless.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078U95AG/

The OTC tool with the correct ball joint adaptors works great. If you want the tool part numbers, let me know.
Installing new c/v joints, ball joints and saving the axle ends with new hubs and seals is very rewarding.

Do NOT forget the plastic washer and new rubber gasket seals. The plastic washer and neoprene gasket is the first 2 items installed behind the inner most bearing, near the brake plate.
It is the left and middle washer in the Yukon picture.

Had a tough time finding new ones. Without the plastic washer spacers, your front end will get ruined.
Yukon saved the day offering the kit.

The Mile Marker locks work great. Zero issues after 5 years. $250 cheaper than Warn?

Have the silicone o-rings you want for the hub locks gasket mod.

Email me for a set and I'll mail a pair to you.
Bought 100 of them for $10.
Never had a leak in the MM locks using the o-ring mod.

The work box body was very expensive in the day. It's the exact same body I used on the Ranch Welding.
They were used for highway road safety service trucks, for semi-truck mobile mechanics.

The rear bumper bench vice, (if it is an old school USA HD version Columbia), is probably worth a bundle.

The bucket seats are not stock. Very nice find.

I'll bet you can re-sell the box, blasted and painted with new door latches/locks, for triple whatever you paid for the truck.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX

They fit on the Right hand LOWER shock mounts, from the picture you posted above.
The taller riveted shock mount can be removed from the upper frame, after you install these.

These fit the rear $103:

Pull the hubs and make certain the fine threads and inner wheel bearing seals are not rotten.
The 2 peice lock screws get ruined in the hub because people do not use the proper lock ring socket with a proper torque wrench.
If memory serves me correctly, they torque at 195 ft/lbs. Threads must be very good where the races get torqued.

If you find crumbs of metal in there, it is fine threads contaminating your bearings from the hub and these 2 lock nut/washers.
One MUST have a pin and one will not. If the pin is busted off, it is in your bearings somewhere.

If the seals have cut grooves into the inner bearing race shaft or sealing area on the hub, you will want to replace the axle ends and the C/V joints at the same time. It is a lot of work. Did both sides in -20 weather. Bent or damaged brake plate should be replaced too. If you go balls deep into this system, try to replace as much as possble while you are in there. Do NOT use the stoopid inner axle tubing water seals they sell. They hold moisture and cause rust inside the axle shaft tubing. Although they sound like a great idea, they are a football bat and will ruin your axle case bearings inside the axle tubes. The tubing needs to breath to dry out.

This Yukon kit has the quality rubber seals and the plastic washer included. I paid $171.00 each, five years ago. It is on sale now for $154, vs $189 normal pricing.
If you need 2 of them you had better act fast before the sale ends. Never seen them this cheap.

The OTC tool with the correct ball joint adaptors works great. If you want the tool part numbers, let me know.
Installing new c/v joints, ball joints and saving the axle ends with new hubs and seals is very rewarding.

Do NOT forget the plastic washer and new rubber gasket seals. The plastic washer and neoprene gasket is the first 2 items installed behind the inner most bearing, near the brake plate.

Had a tough time finding new ones. Without the plastic washer spacers, your front end will get ruined.

The Mile Marker locks work great. Zero issues after 5 years. $250 cheaper than Warn?

The work box body was very expensive in the day. It's the exact same body I used on the Ranch Welding.
They were used for highway road safety service trucks, for semi-truck mobile mechanics.

The rear bumper bench vice, (if it is an old school USA HD version Columbia), is probably worth a bundle.

I'll bet you can re-sell the box, blasted and painted with new door latches/locks, for triple whatever you paid for the truck.

Hope this helps.
Damn man! THANKS for all the info.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l

These fit the rear $103:

Hope this helps.
I have been running those load leveler shocks from Monroe since the late 70's I like them.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
So let me ask this. $1800 for a complete frame sound right? Is that the going cost?

So I been on the hunt for a K10 Long bed and its been a roller coaster ride from hell.
either they are show trucks and to much$$$$$$ or they are rust buckets being sold as gold also.
I was looking for something in the middle and yea, no luck. So here is my new plan!!!!

I have a 85 fully loaded Silverado 2WD. I found locally a 1987 K10 long bed with body in not so good of shape.
Frame is in great condition. The only thing that concerns me is it has dual shocks up front. Never seen that,

Im guessing it cant be hard to just swap frames. BUT, is the floor tunnel the same? I dont have my K20 here to compare to the 2WD
But just curious if its really this easy to swap out. Thanks
K series trans has a "large hump," trans cab pan. K10 should have that. I've seen you post Jon, and you are no dummy, and have skills, seems that it would be easy.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I see at least $800 in parts you can resell. Then take the cab, axles, utility box and wheels to the recycler and expect another 3-4 hundred in scrap. I'd do it. Actually I done it. Paid $1K for a 94 in similar shape just for the NV4500 in it. In the end it cost me a few hours work and $400 for the trans.

Fat 454

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
$1800 for a full 4x4 frame is a good deal, especially with the service body and all the other parts.
The double shocks up front are an OEM factory option. I have that option on a 4x4 blazer. Cool talking point at shows, not sure how much better performance they provide, however one of the first "up-grades" that used to be highlighted in the magazines was multiple shocks. I have an old Rancho multiple shock adapter kit, and the OEM set up is much neater. You can still run just one shock tho' and it will work.
The 2 - 4wd swap is "straight-forward" ( ie. if you are into lifting off and swapping the cab on you truck projects type of straightforward ). Only issue may be transmission clearance. I would check if the original 4x4 has a high hump ( cover usually unbolts ), v. your 2wd. If that is the case, you will want to cut out the centre floor area from the 4wd that contains the high hump section, and weld into the 2wd floor. There are lots of photos and articles on doing this on the web, if you google high hump conversion. Everything else is the same, assuming both trucks are either manual or auto, if not you will need to choose which way to go, and complete that conversion also.
I would recommend you replace all cab mounts, otherwise lining up sheet metal will never work. Also look at upgrading to a hydroboost to replace the vacuum brake booster.
Post pics as you go through the conversion !..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag