C10 frame swap 4x4 4l60e?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86devh

Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hello all, I am starting a frame swap on my 86 c10 onto a 87 k10 frame. The donor had a 700r4 and np208. My truck has the th350c, and i have thought about putting the shorter shaft in the 350 and using it or cutting the 2wd shaft? Have thought of using a 4l60e. Forgot to mention that it is ls swaped w a 2002 5.3 so i already have a computer on the vehicle and so i was also wondering if i can use a 96-97 4l60 because it has the 4 hole tail housing. I have read some other threads and i believe that i cannot use the older 4l60 w the newer computer. I also have a Dakota Digital speed pulse through adapter the a vss isnt an issue. Thank you all for your insight!

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
If your going to update the trand you had might aswell go 4l80e same price way stronger

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Hello all, I am starting a frame swap on my 86 c10 onto a 87 k10 frame. The donor had a 700r4 and np208. My truck has the th350c, and i have thought about putting the shorter shaft in the 350 and using it or cutting the 2wd shaft? Have thought of using a 4l60e. Forgot to mention that it is ls swaped w a 2002 5.3 so i already have a computer on the vehicle and so i was also wondering if i can use a 96-97 4l60 because it has the 4 hole tail housing. I have read some other threads and i believe that i cannot use the older 4l60 w the newer computer. I also have a Dakota Digital speed pulse through adapter the a vss isn't an issue. Thank you all for your insight!
You can use the 96-97 4L60e with the 2002 computer, it will control it just fine.

Look for a 97 as opposed to a 96...1997+ 4L60Es came with much better forward drum bonded steel and rubber apply piston compared to 96 and back that had the aluminum pistons for the forward and coast clutch and the forward clutch piston likes to crack after 150k miles or so...

Is your 5.3 stock or modded?

If stock or lightly modded, a 4L60E will be sufficient...Be sure it's a healthy unit then, once in your possession, perform the following before installation:

- Purchase a Fitzall TCC PWM regulator valve and install it in place of the factory outboard valve and spring - this converts the PWM to an "On-Off" and repairs/seals off the bore as it's very common for 96-00 valve bodies to have issues (harsh, late 1-2 shifts and DTC P1870)
- Check the 1-2 accumulator piston - if it's plastic, replace it
- Use a multi-meter to check all the solenoids for resistance; replace any that aren't passing the test
- Replace the filter

ETA: You will need to purchase an adaptor/spacer for the flexplate to run the 96-97 torque converter...

Last edited:

Ole Buck

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 SWB 4x4
Engine Size
5.7 for now
You can use the 96-97 4L60e with the 2002 computer, it will control it just fine.

Look for a 97 as opposed to a 96...1997+ 4L60Es came with much better forward drum bonded steel and rubber apply piston compared to 96 and back that had the aluminum pistons for the forward and coast clutch and the forward clutch piston likes to crack after 150k miles or so...

Is your 5.3 stock or modded?

If stock or lightly modded, a 4L60E will be sufficient...Be sure it's a healthy unit then, once in your possession, perform the following before installation:

- Purchase a Fitzall TCC PWM regulator valve and install it in place of the factory outboard valve and spring - this converts the PWM to an "On-Off" and repairs/seals off the bore as it's very common for 96-00 valve bodies to have issues (harsh, late 1-2 shifts and DTC P1870)
- Check the 1-2 accumulator piston - if it's plastic, replace it
- Use a multi-meter to check all the solenoids for resistance; replace any that aren't passing the test
- Replace the filter

ETA: You will need to purchase an adaptor/spacer for the flexplate to run the 96-97 torque converter...
Damn you guys are smart. You cant buy that kind of advice.

disenough

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
brice
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You can use a newer 4l603 with 6 holes, just use the adapter from the newer trans.

Krust88

Reaction score
First Name
Lebron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
The factory adapter won't work with his np208 unless it's a 4 hole

If you use a newer trans with the 6 hole get the adv adapter plate with the speed sensor. This will not only work like a factory application for the transmission it will locate the trans where the factory 700r4 would be (if your using the right motor mounts). You can also reuse all the factory shift linkage if you have it. Saves alot of headache, work and tuning. I didn't care for the Dakota digital unit and have well over 15k miles on the adv adapter setup with no issues

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod