Are 2WD & 4WD front frame horns/bumper brackets the same?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1986/1985
Truck Model
1986 M1008, 1985 M1028
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
I have a couple CUCVs, one of which is a stripped-down '85 M1028 (K30). Despite the surface rust on the hood & fenders, the body & frame are still very clean (black paint on the underside of the body, and very little surface rust on the frame).

I'll be building out this truck as a super lightweight (relatively-speaking) 2WD for around-town driving...tube doors from Offroad Design, solo Kirkey 55V driver seat, 1/2-ton chassis, '87 305/700R4.

Rather than convert the nice K30 4WD frame to 2WD (which would make many cringe, as they're looking to do the opposite conversion), I would like to find a donor 2WD C10 chassis, and mount the body & bed on that. I may sell off my M1028/K30 frame, or I may hold onto it...not sure at this point. If you have a super clean longbed C10/C20 frame, and would be interested in discussing some sort of trade, I'm open to having that discussion (we're located in East Tennessee).

I do want to retain the CUCV front bumper/brackets/recovery points, and am wondering if they'll bolt up to an '84-'87 C10 frame...hence the question in the subject of this post.

I'm not new to welding/fabrication, nor to vehicle builds (spent 20 years in the Jeep world), but am picking my battles at the moment, as I'm busy building a house for my wife & me. Must...stay...focused...on...the...house...

Thanks,
Craig

Attachments

• M1028PartsTruck.jpg
    M1028PartsTruck.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 28

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've got one question... why 2wd?

Finding a longbed 2wd frame shouldn't be hard, especially in that region. Of course, it's likely to come with a decent body and that kind of defeats the purpose, I would think.

cmichels83

Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a couple CUCVs, one of which is a stripped-down '85 M1028 (K30). Despite the surface rust on the hood & fenders, the body & frame are still very clean (black paint on the underside of the body, and very little surface rust on the frame).

I'll be building out this truck as a super lightweight (relatively-speaking) 2WD for around-town driving...tube doors from Offroad Design, solo Kirkey 55V driver seat, 1/2-ton chassis, '87 305/700R4.

Rather than convert the nice K30 4WD frame to 2WD (which would make many cringe, as they're looking to do the opposite conversion), I would like to find a donor 2WD C10 chassis, and mount the body & bed on that. I may sell off my M1028/K30 frame, or I may hold onto it...not sure at this point. If you have a super clean longbed C10/C20 frame, and would be interested in discussing some sort of trade, I'm open to having that discussion (we're located in East Tennessee).

I do want to retain the CUCV front bumper/brackets/recovery points, and am wondering if they'll bolt up to an '84-'87 C10 frame...hence the question in the subject of this post.

I'm not new to welding/fabrication, nor to vehicle builds (spent 20 years in the Jeep world), but am picking my battles at the moment, as I'm busy building a house for my wife & me. Must...stay...focused...on...the...house...

Thanks,
Craig
I was on the phone with ORD today because I am converting my 2wd suburban to 4wd, and I asked about the bumper mounting and they said 2wd and 4wd bumpers are the same.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1986/1985
Truck Model
1986 M1008, 1985 M1028
Engine Size
6.2L diesel
I've got one question... why 2wd?

Finding a longbed 2wd frame shouldn't be hard, especially in that region. Of course, it's likely to come with a decent body and that kind of defeats the purpose, I would think.

My daily driver/farm truck is a 4WD M1008. Haven't had to use 4WD yet, other than checking that it worked when I bought the truck. I already have a rebuilt 2WD drivetrain for the second CUCV, and as you can see from the photo, it's stripped to the bone. For an around-town, open-door fair-weather cruiser, 2WD will be great.

Besides, as a Michigan native who's used to driving 2WD vehicles through crazy snow & ice covered roads, I highly doubt I'll ever need to use 4WD (on the roads, at least) here in East Tennessee. The locals feel differently even when they get a light dusting of snow. LOL

I bought a really clean '87 R10/C10 chassis out of North Carolina (I'll be picking it up in a couple weeks). It's a restoration shop, and they're using the cab to swap onto a different truck.

I was on the phone with ORD today because I am converting my 2wd suburban to 4wd, and I asked about the bumper mounting and they said 2wd and 4wd bumpers are the same.

Awesome. Thanks for confirming. Much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod