Rusty/dirty frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Yes it is. Just hard to apply. You have to follow the directions to a T. And if any is left over use it up fast or it goes bad

Not true. It's extremely EASY to apply either via brush (dries smooth) or spray gun. Just clean the surface decent, shoot on some "metal ready" to the surface you're coating and go to town. With the left over, cover the opening with plastic wrap, put the lid on and put the can in a fridge. It'll keep for a good long time that way and be ready for your next round. :waytogo:

Best stuff on the market and you get the most bang for your buck.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Not true. It's extremely EASY to apply either via brush (dries smooth) or spray gun. Just clean the surface decent, shoot on some "metal ready" to the surface you're coating and go to town. With the left over, cover the opening with plastic wrap, put the lid on and put the can in a fridge. It'll keep for a good long time that way and be ready for your next round. :waytogo:

Best stuff on the market and you get the most bang for your buck.

Like my wife is gonna let me put that in the fridge LOL !!!

True in reality its not if you have patience and are meticulous and follow the instructions thoroughly. BUT most people just want to slap it on and be done. You can not do that with this stuff.

Actually yes you even get a really nice finish for the first coat with a brush but second and 3rd coats need to be sprayed to get a nice finish. Same with there chassis color paint stuff lol

You cant re seal the lid more than once IMO

I used a can 3 times last year and everything I hit with it the 3rd time is failing! All the stuff from the first 2 uses are tuffer than nails solid.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I believe it is just from being exposed to too much air and absorbs some humidity and then its done

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Many have a spare fridge in the garage ;) To each their own I suppose and there's always one way to skin a cat so to speak. I found the POR15 to be very easy to use but maybe i'm "meticulous" by nature so didn't really notice it or have it bother me. I also never had any of it fail on me either so I guess we all have our different experiences :waytogo:

Doug80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks guys! Might have to look into that stuff. Most of the rust is under were the bed is at, but under the cab the original paint is peeling and has some small rust on it.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
That's pretty typical .

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
just poke a hole in the can of por 15 after shaking it and pour out what you need, then its easier to seal back up and keep from going bad

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
just poke a hole in the can of por 15 after shaking it and pour out what you need, then its easier to seal back up and keep from going bad

Do not shake POR15 !!! Stir well with a stir stick.

Use saran wrap between the lid and the container to reseal it. Also use a pouring lid thingy to poor it out with into a separate container then reseal the POR15 immediately with the saran wrap. I like to put a small piece of wood on top of the lid and then wrap it from top to bottom with duct tape to keep the lid pressed on securely.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Or you could use a piece of wood on the top and bottom and then use a C clamp to keep the lid pressed on securely.

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
Do not shake POR15 !!! Stir well with a stir stick.

well I mean you're right, I guess when I put it between my legs and shake im doing it wrong but at the same time its getting stirred too:party36:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Anyone consider or actually apply spray on bedliner to the frame?

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
I've heard of people doing it, but I think it's like undercoating...unless the frame is spotless, it will rust eventually even with the coating, as the rust will still spread. I think if you redo the frame you should do it. That's just my opinion.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Anyone consider or actually apply spray on bedliner to the frame?

Your better off with a smooth coating so that you can spray it down with ease. The under coating will just trap salt and debris which will hold moisture and cause further rust. also rocks and debris will chip the under coating and then you will get moisture in under the liner coating which will be trapped and again cause rust in a real bad way!

POR15 can trap moisture too, resulting in very bad rusting if its not applied properly. You must follow the instructions to a T with POR15

But smooth is better then under coating for the frame.

I always find that most under coatings have more rust then undersides that just had paint. because the under coating allows the moisture to stay and start the rust process.

That usually isn't the case with quality under coatings that stay pliable and sticky more like an oil under coating. Those coatings usually protect fairly well. But keep in mind that the frame design itself will allow moisture to stay and sit on the frame so IMO smooth is better then a rough under coating for the frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64