Door Seal to big

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RvVern

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
LS
I installed a new door seal from LMC because the top of my door seamed to leak some air and I thought a new seal would do the trick but the new seal caused a new issue, I have to slam the door real hard to get the door closed where the old seal it closed just fine , So my question is where can I find a thinner door seal so my door closes easier ? I threw my old seal in the trash or I would have put that back on, Thanks in advance

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If it's the correct seal it needs to break in over time.Or you may have to adjust the door striker.At least until it does break in.

RvVern

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
LS
I put it in 4 months ago thinking it would break in but its not ?

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How squeezed is the weatherstrip on the hinge side? Had the same issue, due to manufacturing tolerances [or lack thereof] one of mine was very tight and hard to close. It's been a year now with the door shut most of the time. It has finally come out of it.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
That's totally normal. I put new door seals on mine 2 years ago and still have to shut mine harder than before. Completely worth it for the better seal/less wind noise IMO.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
3 year old seals here and still slamming doors. I did adjust the striker to help some.

RvVern

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
LS
the door seal measures 1/4" or thicker, after shutting the door sometimes I have to readjust the mirro

Autocar

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 VIN, but it's a 1 ton
Engine Size
Me too! Just replaced about a month ago and now slamming doors. I'll put up with it for benefit of less wind noise.

87gmcburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic Suburban
I installed a new door seal from LMC because the top of my door seamed to leak some air and I thought a new seal would do the trick but the new seal caused a new issue, I have to slam the door real hard to get the door closed where the old seal it closed just fine , So my question is where can I find a thinner door seal so my door closes easier ? I threw my old seal in the trash or I would have put that back on, Thanks in advance
The seals from LMC, Classic etc... are all aftermarket and fit poorly. If you are looking for actual OEM fit you need to contact Mr A' Chevy truck parts. HIs name is Jon Addington and he is the only place I have ever found actual OEM fit. He uses NOS seals and has them reproduced, this is as good as you get other than finding your own NOS stock or making them from original tooling. I have no affiliation with him only being a customer. I believe he is located in the Pacific North West but ships throughout the US. His number is 425-422-7345, or search Mr As/Jon Addington on FB.
I tried 3 different seals on my 87 burb barn doors and each one fit like crap until I found this guy. The new fit is slightly tight but settles in quickly just like the original.

Last edited:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I put it in 4 months ago thinking it would break in but its not ?
Spray it down with wd40 or lithium grease and try it.Or adjust the door.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Spray it down with wd40 or lithium grease and try it.Or adjust the door.
^^^ This

I was going to suggest lubing the weatherstrip (especially at the hinge side) with something. I smeared a thin layer of Vaseline on the door where it makes contact with the seal to get my doors to shut at all.

RvVern

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
LS
So I bought a 20’ door seal from Amazon and installed it and it’s a perfect fit for my door, and for $21.00 it’s a great deal, thanks for all the suggestions

Wazzabie

Reaction score
First Name
Wazzabie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The aftermarket door seals do not fit like the originals. Also the aftermarket door seals do not look like the originals. I have some NOS door seals and they fit without having to slam the door. The aftermarket door seals are too big.

Cemack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I was slamming mine fairly hard after putting in new LMC ones. I then put some pex pipe around the striker and it is way better. Then new striker had a piece of plastic around them from factory. If your striker is missing the plastic, try the pex pipe trick

Blazerbiker

Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5, actually a Jimmy since it's a GMC
Engine Size
504in
On a single cab, rolling down a window can be a thing too. The cabs aren't vented (or not vented well enough) and it makes it harder to shut the door. It's also a pain to crack the window to shut the last door. Installing some sort of cab vent could be a good idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast