Replacing Harmonic Balancer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It's great. This is what it says it uses. I put farm diesel in it because I think that's the cheapest of those options, which is $2.32/gallon here at the moment. Kerosene is about double the price of farm diesel/gallon here, and Jet A is probably around triple. I don't know how much heating oil costs per gallon, though.

You must be registered for see images attach
Those work good, just don't care for the kerosene smell though, or diesel, lol.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Those work good, just don't care for the kerosene smell though, or diesel, lol.
I hear you. I kind of like it, and it's not too bad, but when you first light it, it smells like a jet just went by.

Also, what water pumps do you guys like? I was gonna check the stealership's price for a Delco but probably get one of the new NAPA ones for $31. I used a new $17 Valucraft pump from Autozone in the past, and it's done a good job, but I don't think I should take that chance again, especially since I drive in the city a lot now.

Oh, and what do you guys use for the timing mark? Nail polish?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I hear you. I kind of like it, and it's not too bad, but when you first light it, it smells like a jet just went by.

Also, what water pumps do you guys like? I was gonna check the stealership's price for a Delco but probably get one of the new NAPA ones for $31. I used a new $17 Valucraft pump from Autozone in the past, and it's done a good job, but I don't think I should take that chance again, especially since I drive in the city a lot now.

Oh, and what do you guys use for the timing mark? Nail polish?
Probably AC Delco, stay a way from that Valucraft or Duralast ****, anything is better than that crap, lol.. I use anything white for a marker, that liquid eraser stuff whatever it's called works pretty good and lasts quite a while.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You're exactly right. It doesn't come all the way to the end of the snout. The RTV picks up where the metal leaves off.

To keep oil from seeping past the keyway groove, you put a dab of rtv there before you slide the balancer on. Most of it just gets squished out and is just along for the ride.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Actually, that crack in the ribbed part of the pulley isn't a crack. Some versions of those pulleys were made that way, it's just a seem. It's at an angle on all of them, to keep from causing a noise every revolution I guess.

You know Andy, I always had a feeling that "crack" was designed to be there. And at one point I was sure of it, it was just too perfect. But, I haven't seen another one since and after many hours of research - which came up with nothing - I finally gave up. Just decided to believe that it was simply a crack - and that I was over analyzing it.

But, I trust you. So once again I believe that it is designed to be there. However, the reason why it is there is still unknown.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You know Andy, I always had a feeling that "crack" was designed to be there. And at one point I was sure of it, it was just too perfect. But, I haven't seen another one since and after many hours of research - which came up with nothing - I finally gave up. Just decided to believe that it was simply a crack - and that I was over analyzing it.

But, I trust you. So once again I believe that it is designed to be there. However, the reason why it is there is still unknown.

The first time I saw one I really had to look at it too. I had assumed it was there just to make the manufacturing process easier, but that's purely a guess. Maybe that's just how one of GM's suppliers chose to make them, I've seen it on various GM serpentine type pulleys.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Leak dye really helps find the little things. I don't think I would have noticed that bottom weep hole. It must have just started leaking because I checked that hole a couple weeks ago, and it wasn't doing that. I went with the NAPA pump. The dealership wanted $73 dollars for a new pump that would have been $38-40 shipped from the internet. I need my daily by Monday or Tuesday, though, and not Friday of next week so I got what I thought was the best quality on short notice. I'm curious to know who makes the old pump. It looks like an old Duralast pump from searching the web, but I don't know how old. I would guess it was ten or fifteen years old, though.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's a casting date stamp in the pic. But it's in the shadows and I can't read it.

The company logo looks familiar, but I don't remember where they come from. All the parts houses change suppliers often and can't seem to stick with a house brand either. It's hard to keep track of all that nonsense.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Offrode