Rejuvenate stainless steel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Does anyone know a good way to make crappy stainless steel look good again? I thought about spray paint but that seems to simple and I have a feeling it won’t look much better.

Some of the stainless steel just wipes off with soap and water especially when I cleaned the vents they are plain black now. And I recently got an instrument bezel and cleaned it with spray nine only for it to wipe away and there to be white underneath. I am curious to know if it’s black/white plastic from the factory and they just paint it on somehow. And if so how can I do the same to rejuvenate it?

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
The dash bezel you have is for an 84 and up truck. It was cut to fit an earlier dash. That piece of stainless is available for about $45-50.

I used a Molotow chrome pen for the surrounds on my gauges. I removed the piece of "stainless" and luckily there is no damage to the underlying plastic face. I will be installing a replacement once I paint the truck.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The dash bezel you have is for an 84 and up truck. It was cut to fit an earlier dash. That piece of stainless is available for about $45-50.

I used a Molotow chrome pen for the surrounds on my gauges. I removed the piece of "stainless" and luckily there is no damage to the underlying plastic face. I will be installing a replacement once I paint the truck.

I knew it was form an 80s truck but he cut the light switch to get it to fit in his 76. Either way it is in better shape than the old one. The old one I don't even think had removable stainless steel. How did you get yours off?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
. How did you get yours off?

Luckily mine sat in the California heat for many years and the glue was pretty shot. If you can let it sit in the sun first it will make it easier. I slowly worked with a putty knife and it came off looking as you see it.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
You could use car wrap film. The are nice brushed metal films available. I used it for my tailgate band it worked great and you can't tell that it's a film.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You could use car wrap film. The are nice brushed metal films available. I used it for my tailgate band it worked great and you can't tell that it's a film.
Does 3M make it? Where did you get yours from? Was it just a self adhesive backing?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
That's not hardly stainless steel. As you found out, the factory trim is a very thin coating over a plastic substrate - it's not able to be restored. Once it is oxidized, there is nothing you can do to save it.

Try one of these maybe. It's a brushed aluminum overlay/insert. Comes with a 3M peel & stick backing. Unlike the original piece, these are made out of a thin sheet of real aluminum. Just remove the old trim, peel the paper off the new one. The adhesive will be exposed. Line it up carefully and, starting at one side, press it firmly onto the bezel.

In stock at Classicparts.com for $45.

https://www.classicparts.com/1981-91-Instrument-Bezel-Insert-Brushed-Aluminum/productinfo/24-189A/#
Tweet
Close

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Does 3M make it? Where did you get yours from? Was it just a self adhesive backing?

I got it from car wrap shop, it was a left over and I got it for 10$. It's self adhesive backing and sticks like hell got it right at the second attempt. I'm not sure if it is 3m but it's a quality product, you can feel the brush structure.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
That's not hardly stainless steel. As you found out, the factory trim is a very thin coating over a plastic substrate - it's not able to be restored. Once it is oxidized, there is nothing you can do to save it.

Try one of these maybe. It's a brushed aluminum overlay/insert. Comes with a 3M peel & stick backing. Unlike the original piece, these are made out of a thin sheet of real aluminum. Just remove the old trim, peel the paper off the new one. The adhesive will be exposed. Line it up carefully and, starting at one side, press it firmly onto the bezel.

https://www.classicparts.com/1981-91-Instrument-Bezel-Insert-Brushed-Aluminum/productinfo/24-189A/#
Tweet
Close

That looks good and you don't have to hassle with cutting the film etc.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I don't think $45 is a bad price either.

Tweet
Close

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ta1nt3d