Rear window clarification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

81squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale
Engine Size
sorry for so many posts...

I was told my truck had a stock all glass ( non slider ) rear window when it came from the factory.

Truck has a aftermarket slider retrofit into the original rubber gasket.

I want to replace the window and the gasket after I paint the truck.

2 questions...

Are there actually 2 different openings for the 2 different types of rear windows from the factory ?

Is there a way to determine what opening I have, I dont care which one its is, I just want it to look new and like the factory installed it.

Is there a reputable source for a quality gasket and window ?

Thanks

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
No problem with the number of posts, you do as many as needed to get your questions answered, the only thing is I think it would be really great if you could answer some of the posts that you might be able to help with.

We are picture ****** as well. I'm terrible with remembering to take them myself, but we'd love to see pics of your truck!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The opening is the same no matter what was in it from the factory. The difference is the gasket. There is a different gasket for the factory sliding window. Most aftermarket sliding windows use the standard non-sliding window gasket. I switched my factory slider to an aftermarket slider because I was unable to find a factory slider replacement gasket, they seem to not be made any longer.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The opening is the same no matter what was in it from the factory. The difference is the gasket. There is a different gasket for the factory sliding window. Most aftermarket sliding windows use the standard non-sliding window gasket. I switched my factory slider to an aftermarket slider because I was unable to find a factory slider replacement gasket, they seem to not be made any longer.
Side question, how can you tell a factory slider from an aftermarket. I ask because my truck has a old slider in it, maybe factory, but don't know. I can snap a pic if that is easiest.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Side question, how can you tell a factory slider from an aftermarket. I ask because my truck has a old slider in it, maybe factory, but don't know. I can snap a pic if that is easiest.

The aftermarket ones will be labeled like the C.R Lawrence ones. The factory ones are riveted aluminum and pretty noticeably different looking from the aftermarket ones.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The aftermarket ones will be labeled like the C.R Lawrence ones. The factory ones are riveted aluminum and pretty noticeably different looking from the aftermarket ones.
Well thanks for the clarification you have confirmed that I was wrong. Mine says passport on the slider latch and takes the standard gasket and is welded aluminum so based on that it must be an old aftermarket unit.

81squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale
Engine Size
my apologies for not posting a pic, Im usually in the house when I think of half the questions. I will do a better job !!

Thanks for all the input

I will do a conclusive photo op soon, its crammed in my garage for now.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
my apologies for not posting a pic, Im usually in the house when I think of half the questions. I will do a better job !!

Thanks for all the input

I will do a conclusive photo op soon, its crammed in my garage for now.
No apology needed as I said I'm terrible too!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
4.1 6cylinder
I’m not trying to hijack this thread but my 1981 has a factory slider (says so on the glove box sticker) what do you mean the factory seal is no longer available? I was going to take mine out to repaint the cab. Do I have to now rethink my plan?

If I had a windshield guy come remove the slider will he tell me there is no seal available?

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
I didn't know the slider used a different gasket, now I need to rethink my plans. Thanks for the posts.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looks like mine was a factory slider also. I bought a new aftermarket. If anyone is in need of the factory glass, its theirs for the taking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk