Starter & back window question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mkmc

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
Forum lurker here with a totally random question! I recently got a new truck (blazer) and am in love with it, definitely my dream truck. I noticed that it does not have the classic GM/Chev starter sound from that era, it sounds more like a Dodge starter. This has piqued my curiosity as I realized I have no idea how much of the "cranking sound" is attributable to the starter motor itself, vs. the engine it's attached to so I am posting here to see what do y'all think? Have you experienced a vastly different starter sound without changing out the engine? It doesn't matter of course more just curious if it indicates a non-OEM starter was installed or something.

2nd question, on this blazer the back window has a tendency to roll down on its own lol. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to secure it so it won't fall down. Am totally fine if it doesn't open at all anymore as a result.

Thanks!

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Let's see a picture of your starter. There's about 3 sizes that mount up to our engines.
And on the back glass, is yours electric? I know some are manual only. I wonder if some had both. I'm guessing your electric. I remember my friends would do what yours is and I think we fixed a bad or frayed wire in the gate or was where it comes into it from body. Can't remember for sure. Also I would check your switch. Make sure it's not sticky and or lazy feeling from a weak switch spring.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There is a clock spring on regulator that assists/lowers roll up effort, possibly broken?

In some previous life starter may have been replaced. Old starter may have caused unusual ring gear wear. If that's the case usually both ring gear and starter need to be replaced at the same time.

mkmc

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
hey yall, so I decided to inspect things further and it is definitely the OEM looking starter style. after running with it a few more days I became increasingly convinced that it had some issues and is likely on its way out. i decided to swap in the known good starter out of my c10. the exhaust headers made life more difficult but not impossible. cranking sounds like a squarebody ought to sound (in my mind) haha.
im wondering if the closeness of the headers could be problematic in terms of heat. done a bit of searching on that and sounds like its a pretty common issue. my question would be, is the potential heat soak issue from the headers to the starter only really be damaging for warm/hot starts? or is there some potential for damage even if the starter is not being used actively?

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
My stock started, with headers BBC 454, the wrap did help, bit will probably go with a high torque minnie as at times the starter is a little slow on very hot days, or if I start it up after it has sat and heat soaked a few minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_2547~photo.JPG
    IMG_2547~photo.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2586~photo-full.jpg
    IMG_2586~photo-full.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 24

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Those mini starters are just the best thing.
I picked one up the other day as my kid changed his out from his '49 truck the other day and left it in my way.
They are crazy light weight for what they do.

No heat soak on our BBC either.
Little bugger just cranks and cranks.
It helps we have 2 gauge welding wire for all the big power running around the engine bay too.

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I recommend using header wrap. It made a huge difference in my under hood temperature

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad