Rain running down metal ramp along cowl onto firewall, thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkraven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
c25 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Only had the truck a year and figured out during the latest rain that a cabin leak is from this spot where water consistently runs down a metal ramp like piece at the sides of the cowl. My first thought is to clean up the rusty areas where the water goes and slather it with sealant.But the design is kinda weird. Is water supposed to be routed this way? Any solutions to keep it from continuing, maybe redirect it to the cowl drains?
You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Only had the truck a year and figured out during the latest rain that a cabin leak is from this spot where water consistently runs down a metal ramp like piece at the sides of the cowl. My first thought is to clean up the rusty areas where the water goes and slather it with sealant.But the design is kinda weird. Is water supposed to be routed this way? Any solutions to keep it from continuing, maybe redirect it to the cowl drains?

hows your hood to cowl seal overall
its cheap, replace it,. Is it contacting the hood there?

See how much nicer a new one looks? I bet you its not supple or sealing anymore. But there still IS a leak on your firewall/cab if that water is getting in, but that should help fix the majority of the issue

dkraven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
c25 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
hows your hood to cowl seal overall
its cheap, replace it,. Is it contacting the hood there?

See how much nicer a new one looks? I bet you its not supple or sealing anymore. But there still IS a leak on your firewall/cab if that water is getting in, but that should help fix the majority of the issue
Just ordered a new seal. Easy $22 improvement. The water was getting in just above the fuse box where it goes through the firewall and also through the bolt holes for the emergency brake. Thinking of just slapping seam sealer on the firewall side and knowing I'll have to dig through it should I need to actually remove either of those items. The bolts for the brake are rusted to the point where will probably break if I try to remove them anyways. (I already put seam sealer along the joint in the cowl where the the rubber caulk was obviously pulling away)

What do you think of getting some generic weatherstripping and extending the area the cowl seal covers to ensure water doesn't go down that metal ramp?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod