Cowl/Firewall/Floorboard rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I didn't think the rust was anywhere near needing a cab replacement. I hope I'm right. :)

Sometimes you have to look at what it will cost in parts and labor vs cost of going and getting a rust free cab. What it comes down to is how much is your time worth. As an example if you make $10 an hour at your job and it takes 15 hours to fix the rust the its $150 in labor plus parts,we'll call it $300. So if you can find a cab for the same cost and time as repairing yours it may not make sense. Now if you own a company and you are making $100 an hour (your pay plus company cost) repairing your cab could cost you $1650 we as a $500 cab 2 hours away is cheaper... Make sense?

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
The way I see it is that once you purchase a welder, cutoff tools, etc, those if taken care of can last nearly forever so $500 of tools that last you minimum 25 years works out to only $20 a year for those 25 years. Those tools also open up a world of new possibilities with fabricating mounts, custom parts, jigs, projects a significant other finds on pinterest.
In me basically remaking/building my 79 I have learned A LOT of stuff about how these trucks are put together and learned lots of metal forming techniques/methods in making patch panels and such.

parzan

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The way I see it is that once you purchase a welder, cutoff tools, etc, those if taken care of can last nearly forever so $500 of tools that last you minimum 25 years works out to only $20 a year for those 25 years. Those tools also open up a world of new possibilities with fabricating mounts, custom parts, jigs, projects a significant other finds on pinterest.
In me basically remaking/building my 79 I have learned A LOT of stuff about how these trucks are put together and learned lots of metal forming techniques/methods in making patch panels and such.

Agreed but I can see why a rust free cab would be the way to go depending on the amount of rust, etc. Since the truck doesn't need to be on the road, is a "work on it when I can" type project and something that I hope to learn from, I'm going to purchase a welder and give it a go. If I depended upon the truck for regular transportation and if the rust was worse, I could see the value in getting a replacement cab. Also, I'm pretty cheap labor. lol

I appreciate all of the help and responses!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC