APB - Check your cowl seam seals!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'd be afraid to use Flex Seal, or anything else "As Seen on TV".

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I'd be afraid to use Flex Seal, or anything else "As Seen on TV".

"I sawed this boat in half !! " :eek:

:dogpile:

I would try it - the Flex Seal, not sawing the boat in half, especially since I don't have a boat, and whomever's I borrowed would probably be pissed ...

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
on my 81c10 i just laid 2 layers of fiberglass spanning the seam, then topped it with 2 layers of bed liner. it seems like a sturdy seal.

toddc72

Reaction score
First Name
todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Are 73 K10 notorious for this too? Rest of truck is pretty much rusted bad in the wheel well areas and right where front fenders meet the cab in the corners at the very bottom. I doubt if water collection there anymore. Truck is used for my winter beater and bought it that way. Rest of truck seems dry but only drive it this winter and just got it after Christmas this year and drove it a few times because of snow. So I should look at it too or just don't worry about it because of how bad the rust is anyway? Thanks

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are 73 K10 notorious for this too? Rest of truck is pretty much rusted bad in the wheel well areas and right where front fenders meet the cab in the corners at the very bottom. I doubt if water collection there anymore. Truck is used for my winter beater and bought it that way. Rest of truck seems dry but only drive it this winter and just got it after Christmas this year and drove it a few times because of snow. So I should look at it too or just don't worry about it because of how bad the rust is anyway? Thanks
Yep a 73 is the same construction as the 73-80 series and the 81-87 models are basically the same design, cowl area is just a bit different die to the sperate hood and cowl area.

Look at it. I am sure you have some water getting through somewhere.

Brian J

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks for the heads up on this. I took my cowl cover off yesterday and sure nuff, the seam sealer is cracked in several places. Guess that explains the holes in the passenger floorboard. Definitely should have been welded at the factory.

toddc72

Reaction score
First Name
todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yep a 73 is the same construction as the 73-80 series and the 81-87 models are basically the same design, cowl area is just a bit different die to the sperate hood and cowl area.

Look at it. I am sure you have some water getting through somewhere.

Thank you. I will maybe take a look this weekend than since truck is parked till winter and now would probably be the time to fix it if so BEFORE I need it again. Thanks

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
GM used seam sealer on this area but with time the sealer dries out, cracks, and begins to let water into the seam between the two sheets of metal.

On my 82, they did a terrible job with the seam sealer in some areas, allowing water to drip down behind the fuse panel. That eventually caused rust to develop on the fuse connectors, and rusted out the bottom of the kick panels. It's fixed now, but all that trouble because of some GM assembly guy who didn't use enough seam sealer in some areas.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I suggest scraping out the old seam sealer as much as possible, and then cleaning the area to be repaired with wax and grease remover (AKA Prep solve). Then lay down a wide bead of good quality seam sealer. This SEM product has worked well for me.

https://www.semproducts.com/product/1k-seam-sealers/29392

It comes with a nozzle, and I bought a bag of extra nozzles on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/GooChan-20-Pack-Caulk-Nozzles-White/dp/B074RGZ1BJ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=GooChan+20-Pack+Caulk+Nozzles+(White+/+20+Pcs)&qid=1592917123&s=hi&sr=1-2

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I used construction adhesive. I think it was gorilla or lock tite. Hardest part is getting the edges closest to the fender area.
Also construction adhesive doesn’t “smear” well so if you’re used to caulking it’s NOT like that. It’s more like urathane sealer.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
On my 82, they did a terrible job with the seam sealer in some areas, allowing water to drip down behind the fuse panel. That eventually caused rust to develop on the fuse connectors, and rusted out the bottom of the kick panels. It's fixed now, but all that trouble because of some GM assembly guy who didn't use enough seam sealer in some areas.

Is that what the factory sealer looks like? If that's the case mine had already been re sealed at some point. I had big floppy gobs out of like a caulk gun tube type. I was thinking GM brush the sealer on. The stuff I reapplied was out of a tube as well. AC Delco medium sealer.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Sumbsih had better be sealed up now. POR-15 Metal Prep, POR-15 paint, 2 coats of seam sealer, and 2 coats of Flex Seal.

Flex Seal is nifty stuff. Smells a bit like menthol, but it brushes on nice and self-levels like a dream.

You must be registered for see images attach

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I think the best idea might be to rough it up, do all the previous things and fiber glass that whole area with matt and resin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave