APB - Check your cowl seam seals!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What not to do...don't use spray can bed liner.
I thought that would be good to seal that seam. After a couple liberal coats, it shrunk up down in the seam and cracked. So I piled more on, like a mor on. Lol.
Well that also shrunk and cracked. Must be very low solids mix.
No biggie, just thought I’d burn up an old can of the stuff that I had.
After that I ended up re seam sealing it anyways.

annettemarie

Reaction score
First Name
Annette
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Suburban V10 Silverado
Engine Size
Glad it was helpful to you! This is one of those areas that often gets overlooked... Even by the original engineers!

Why they thought a major sheetmetal seam belonged at the bottom of what is essentially a water pipe is BEYOND me.

Post up about your electrical issue over in the electrical section. Betcha one of us can help you figure it out.
Thank you. I actually figured it out. I refurbished my instrument cluster and it wasnt working. took it off again and realized i hadnt pushed the that power thingy bober in all the way. all is well now. With that anyway. Ive named this Burb " Pandora" because everytime i go to fix one thing another thing pops up! Thankfully im a quick learner and refuse to give up. I might throw my ladder across the yard in frustration but i cool off and start again. Currently i have water leaking into the cab on the drivers side under the dash, on the far left somewhere between the where the metal dash is bolted in and the cab body is. im gonna try to put my cheapy endoscope in there to see if i can find the location. IS THERE A WATER LEAKING IN SECTION?

orskier

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
I'm struggling with this cowl re-sealing thing! I'm 99% sure the water that's getting in by the passenger kick panel is coming through the cowl seam just above it - the short one that runs front to back, and is hidden under what I'll call a "deflector" - a curved piece of steel that makes accessing that seam to remove the old sealer or get new sealer in there just about impossible. Has anyone figured out a good way to do this?

It looks like the main seam along the top of the firewall is in great shape in my '91 'burb. And I don't get any water on the driver's side (yet). But that passenger side leak has me not driving this thing when rain threatens - and I live in Oregon!!

Any help greatly appreciated!

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I'm struggling with this cowl re-sealing thing! I'm 99% sure the water that's getting in by the passenger kick panel is coming through the cowl seam just above it - the short one that runs front to back, and is hidden under what I'll call a "deflector" - a curved piece of steel that makes accessing that seam to remove the old sealer or get new sealer in there just about impossible. Has anyone figured out a good way to do this?

It looks like the main seam along the top of the firewall is in great shape in my '91 'burb. And I don't get any water on the driver's side (yet). But that passenger side leak has me not driving this thing when rain threatens - and I live in Oregon!!

Any help greatly appreciated!

I would remove the plastic trim at the rear bottom of each front fender and clean out the cowl drain exit. you will have to clean, flush, clean, flush, etc to get it all. a thin stick works good to pull stuff down. I'd clean those out and see if you still have an issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8