where is the kick down cable end supposed to be at rest on the 4 bbl. linkage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
After doing some more reading about why my shifting is so early in my newly rebuilt TH350 trans. '74 C10, and I still haven't put my new 4 bbl. kick down bracket on the motor. Having a Holley carb. about where would the end of the kick down cable end look like at rest on the carb linkage when attached? All things being equal, and from all the photos I've looked at of both Holley's and Q-jet 4 bbl's. it looks like the end of the cable has about a 1/4" to a 1/2" of the end showing beyond the post of the linkage at rest, and would be the same with the engine at idle.
If the above statement is true and as the throttle linkage begins to move just of idle, as the linkage begins it's rearward travel and the throttle linkage closes up that bit of slack at the end of the kick down cable, that 1/4" or 1/2" end beyond the post, what is this movement of the kick down cable doing as the throttle linkage moves back, pulling the kick down cable forward? Is it, according to my recent reading that the kick down cable affects shifting early, is the kick down cable working in tandem with the governor? If not, then what is the kick down cable doing as the carb linkage moves, say to 1/3 to 1/2 throttle? What is happening as the truck is pulling up a moderate incline as like on a "on ramp" accelerating through 1st, then 2nd, and as the truck moves out onto interstate and at about 40 or 45 shifts to 3rd, what affected that shifting, the kick down cable's position pulled out by the carb linkage, or the governor according to engine rpm? Or both? Showing the relation between the kick down cable position at part throttle, and the governor/engine rpm, or neither of these and is just affected by the governor and the engine rpm?

Whew! I hope that's clear enough. I've thought about this long and hard to try and get it clear in my own mind as to what it is I'm trying to figure out. After I hook up my new kick down cable bracket what should I be looking for as far as shifting is concerned? Nothing, and I have a problem with the governor being out of calibration or something else, and it still needs to go back to the trans shop? Or since the kick down cable connection is corrected it will allow the trans to work like it has for the past 39 years like it always did and it will start shifting like it should with no further concern? It didn't start shifting like it is now after I put the 4 bbl. on, it shifted just like it always did even after that little link was installed. See below:

You must be registered for see images attach

This little link, which is a Holley part, will be coming off and the end of the kick down cable will be attached to the carb linkage with the new kick down bracket relocating the cable end, where that hex bolt is, for a 4 bbl. is installed. Why would the trans still shift correct after a 4 bbl. was put on the engine, and shifted correctly for 25 years, but now that the trans has been overhauled the trans is shifting way to early. It shifts to 3rd at 20 mph no matter how much gas you give it, no matter where you are going up hill, and no matter how fast you accelerate. Since the trans has been overhauled, is it shifting to early because of this kick down set up? Or is it because of a problem with the governor, or whatever? Will the early shift go away when I change out the kick down bracket and move the kick down cable end to the carb linkage where it belongs? I just need some kind of idea of what to expect.

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Have you adjusted the kickdown cable to match the linkage? You just pop up the clip on the cable retainer where it fits into the bracket, pull the throttle to max travel, and then push the clip back down to fix it in place. The plastic clip is sometimes a little hard to pop up, but it’s a very quick adjustment once you get it pulled up.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@GMFORLIFE,

Yep! See, that's what I'm talking about. Even though yours is a Q-Jet the linkage is still about in the same position as the Holley would be. See that cable end where the end loop is a little beyond the post on the linkage? That's what I'll try to duplicate, just like yours! So by the time you've taken up that little bit of space at the end of the cable would the transmission already shifted out of 1st going into 2nd? Or reaching the end of 1st, shifting into 2nd by the time that cable end is being pulled on a bit by the throttle linkage as the carb is being opened up into more part throttle? I'll bet no one has seen what really happens as things are working. I may have to find a clock to show how much time has elapsed between gears to.

You know I wish I had a Go Pro camera. I would make the video of video's, showing where that throttle linkage is as it opens up, split screen, second screen would show the tach which I have under my hood, and pressure gauges off the 1-2 pressure port and the 3rd gear pressure port showing the pressure go up as the transmission shifted into the gears. So in one screen you'd see the carb linkage, second screen showing the tach rpm, third screen showing 1-2 pressure port showing shift pressures coming out of first then second, then look up at the rpm, and look over at the linkage , then look down, rpm going up, and fourth screen you'd see the shift to third. wouldn't that be cool? Now I probably don't have my details right. You probably wouldn't see those pressures off the ports, I don't know what I'm talking about there but you get the idea of what I'd like to video. Any suggestions? I'd have to establish a speed at which to video that would be normal, not wide open throttle or anything like that because all you would see is the throttle linkage going all the way back and that would be it. But the pressure changes would be interesting wouldn't it?

@75gmck25,

Thanks. Yeah, I don't know how many times I had done that before I put the truck into the shop to get the trans overhauled. I don't even know if they did it at the shop and I suspect they didn't because long before that they would have drove it and would have seen how the shifting is way to early and would have tried to fix that, then they probably would have discovered how messed up that kick down cable is on my motor and told me they couldn't get it adjusted due to the wrong bracket. Then I would have known they actually did try to adjust it.

After I get the new bracket on I'll adjust the kick down cable and see if it changes the shifting. I strongly suspect it won't primarily because the kick down cable does not control the shifting other than kicking down to second then back to third. And the way it's shifting now, that shift back to third is way to quick. I tried it, I know. So is that the governor? Or is it something to do with the kick down cable being out of adjustment? If it is there's something else wrong, possibly the valve body?

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@GMFORLIFE,

Your engines are so nice and clean. Mine has been thrashed for the last 25 years and it looks it. Other than basic maint. I'm not going to take the time to take a tooth brush to it so it looks new all the time. I have kept the engine clean with Engine Bright though, and I have a bottle of Chevy Orange model paint and have kept the paint touched up at least. I'm prone to whip the carb off right there out side parked at the curb and overhaul it with all my parts layed out on clean red rags on the street.

I can remember years ago when I would pull my Dodge over a ditch on the side of the road and change out transmissions and clutches and drive shafts with one of those cheap sets of open end/box end wrench sets you could get that came clipped together in the dollar box at Billy Bob's Discount, a big screw driver, and a claw hammer! In the rain!!
That was long before I put any value in a good set of tools. Then when I was done just threw them on the floor and burned rubber out of there! Boy, those were the good 'ol days! No they weren't. Those days sucked! I was poor as dirt and was working my ass off for $2.75 an hour!

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Build the engine.
No better feeling than having your engine all torn apart on a bench.
Put it together with all new parts.
When that motor comes to life..youll have the greatest HIGH there is...

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
I USE THAT VIDEO FOR MY ALARM CLOCK!

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
@GMFORLIFE,

Yep! See, that's what I'm talking about. Even though yours is a Q-Jet the linkage is still about in the same position as the Holley would be. See that cable end where the end loop is a little beyond the post on the linkage? That's what I'll try to duplicate, just like yours! So by the time you've taken up that little bit of space at the end of the cable would the transmission already shifted out of 1st going into 2nd? Or reaching the end of 1st, shifting into 2nd by the time that cable end is being pulled on a bit by the throttle linkage as the carb is being opened up into more part throttle? I'll bet no one has seen what really happens as things are working. I may have to find a clock to show how much time has elapsed between gears to.

You know I wish I had a Go Pro camera. I would make the video of video's, showing where that throttle linkage is as it opens up, split screen, second screen would show the tach which I have under my hood, and pressure gauges off the 1-2 pressure port and the 3rd gear pressure port showing the pressure go up as the transmission shifted into the gears. So in one screen you'd see the carb linkage, second screen showing the tach rpm, third screen showing 1-2 pressure port showing shift pressures coming out of first then second, then look up at the rpm, and look over at the linkage , then look down, rpm going up, and fourth screen you'd see the shift to third. wouldn't that be cool? Now I probably don't have my details right. You probably wouldn't see those pressures off the ports, I don't know what I'm talking about there but you get the idea of what I'd like to video. Any suggestions? I'd have to establish a speed at which to video that would be normal, not wide open throttle or anything like that because all you would see is the throttle linkage going all the way back and that would be it. But the pressure changes would be interesting wouldn't it?

@75gmck25,

Thanks. Yeah, I don't know how many times I had done that before I put the truck into the shop to get the trans overhauled. I don't even know if they did it at the shop and I suspect they didn't because long before that they would have drove it and would have seen how the shifting is way to early and would have tried to fix that, then they probably would have discovered how messed up that kick down cable is on my motor and told me they couldn't get it adjusted due to the wrong bracket. Then I would have known they actually did try to adjust it.

After I get the new bracket on I'll adjust the kick down cable and see if it changes the shifting. I strongly suspect it won't primarily because the kick down cable does not control the shifting other than kicking down to second then back to third. And the way it's shifting now, that shift back to third is way to quick. I tried it, I know. So is that the governor? Or is it something to do with the kick down cable being out of adjustment? If it is there's something else wrong, possibly the valve body?

There should be no bracket!
The slop in that bracket is causing your problems.
Needs to be straight..not a W shape.
Connect your kickdown to the carb....if it doesn't fit..get the correct cable or move the bracket holding the kickdown cable closer to the front of car.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@GMFORLIFE,

I love your video!! I remember many years ago I used to go to the tractor pulls every year and there was this ambulance pull vehicle whose engine sounded exactly like that engine. So I asked the driver what was making it sound like that, rump, tic, tic, tic,rump, tic, tic, tic, rump. He said it was the cam that made it sound like that. When my engine grows up I want it to sound like that motor!

I changed the bracket yesterday to a combo bracket for the throttle and the kickdown cables on one bracket. It puts the kickdown much closer than it used to be. But when I drove the truck today it still shifted to third at 19 to 20 mph. I've got to take it back to that trans shop and find out what springs he took ouit of my governor and put those same springs back in it. I wondered why he kept asking me if I wanted it "stock". I don't know what he meant by "stock". Did he mean to make it shift early like some kind of kiddy car? I assumed he meant did I want a high rpm stall converter in it or a shift kit? I did not want him to change the springs in the governor. I don't think you're supposed to do that no matter what to a stock TH350. It's not a racing TH350 where you'd have to test drive the thing for fly weight changes and spring changes. Just how it's supposed to shift. Hell, before I could put in half throttle and it would whind out the gears. Isn't that right? Isn't that's how it's supposed to be. It's been that way for the 39 years I've been driving it!! Until he got hold of it.

My only concern is he'll give me a hard time about it and try to screw me. Or he'll rig it just so it barely works like it's supposed to be. Then he'll say, "Well that's all I can do with it". His shop is not supposed to be that kind of shop. The guy does a huge business. I wouldn't think he'd be in business to long if he gave people a hard time about problems with their transmissions.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@GMFORLIFE,

I ordered the correct kickdown stud and it's been shipped from Jegs. Yea!!! But in the mean time this is what that new bracket looks like.

This is the one I ended up using.

And because I couldn't find the right size thread bolt diameter kickdown stud I had to use a aircraft bolt I had.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sorry about the size of this pic even though it does show the bracket pretty good.

I would like to know how to delete pics that are already posted.

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
It's fine the way it is.
Glad you got it fixed correctly.

Latest posts