"Proper Starting procedure" for Squarebody

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
So I was reading through the factory service manual and it said something about making sure that I am using the proper Starting procedure. I don't have the owners manual though so does anyone know what it is? I'm just curious because I've always just done one pump to the pedal and then crank. What does GM consider "proper"

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Something along the lines of fully depress the pedal to reset the choke and also pumps the accelerator pump. My 76 I just turn the key and go, never has given me any problems, and I find pumping the pedal floods the **** out of it (for me at least)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Turn the key and when it starts let off the key. Have you been unable to start your truck all this time? How long have you owned it?

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Kids and carbs
I was going to mention this in one of this 30 topic threads, when he was saying he stomps the pedal when he starts it. But I was worried he’d start a thread about me

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Turn the key and when it starts let off the key. Have you been unable to start your truck all this time? How long have you owned it?
Oh no i've never had any problem starting it, but i was just curious. I started out by slowly pumping 4 times before turning the key because i looked up proper starting procedure and i guess thats what it is for a mustang. I was wrong to think it was the same for a chevy truck I guess. Someone just recently told me not to pump it as much so I have been doing once and it is much quicker and easier. I just was curious what the actual owners manual says about it.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Nothing about letting it warm up either

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Kids and carbs
I was going to mention this in one of this 30 topic threads, when he was saying he stomps the pedal when he starts it. But I was worried he’d start a thread about me
LOL. I do start a lot of threads. Whatever. I like to learn things. I think its awesome how much knowledge people have to share. I don't really know anyone that can fix cars so I come on here for any questions I have. I've learned so much just in the 2 months or so I've had the truck. I wish I had a good friend that was experienced in fixing cars, but I guess that will come with time. I just have to be around more of the community. I was thinking about going to a car show with my truck to start talking to people. I like going to junkyards too thats probably a good place. But it would be awesome to just have someone I could text with a quick question.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
IIRC , the manual says 2 pumps when cold, and maybe half throttle on hot starts.

After mine sits for a few weeks 2 pumps doesn't do it, but I try it, and when it doesn't work try it one or 2 more times until it does.

When it gets daily driven it seems like 1 pump gets her going, but it has been a while since she was dailyed.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Quite frankly, I think their procedure sucks. It’s never worked for me, and the old timers don’t do it this way either. This is from the ‘86 Pickup manual. The ‘86 Caprice manual says the same except hold it at a quarter throttle after the single pump. I do two pumps if it’s sat overnight, one if it’s sat the whole day, and none if I’ve used it within a day.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Older carbed vehicles have a personality and they are all different. Some just need one pump on a cold start and others might want 3 pumps. Some beaters require you to just about pump the bowl dry, lol. Some may want 1/4 throttle on a hot restart while others may want 3/4 or more. Some need a little throttle input on a warm-ish start, while others do not. Or some will want another pump or two before even cranking.

It's just a matter of finding what your specific truck likes. If you drive it enough and you are observant of the different ways it acts when you do certain things, you will surely figure it out. Unlike newer cars and trucks, old ones have a soul. You just gotta get to know them.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Older carbed vehicles have a personality and they are all different. Some just need one pump on a cold start and others might want 3 pumps. Some beaters require you to just about pump the bowl dry, lol. Some may want 1/4 throttle on a hot restart while others may want 3/4 or more. Some need a little throttle input on a warm-ish start, while others do not. Or some will want another pump or two before even cranking.

It's just a matter of finding what your specific truck likes. If you drive it enough and you are observant of the different ways it acts when you do certain things, you will surely figure it out. Unlike newer cars and trucks, old ones have a soul. You just gotta get to know them.
That makes sense because there are so many different factors that can make a carb act different. Mine is rebuilt so maybe that helps a bit but its been pretty good so far for both warm and cold starts. The idle speed is usually very inconsistent though. Sometimes it sounds really high and sometimes it sounds like it's about to stall. It hasn't done that though until recently with my potential fuel filter/vacuum/accelerator pump issue.

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
86 C20 manual with 454 calls for 3 pumps on a cold engine, 1 pump on a warm engine.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That’s why I love ‘em!
Exactly. They just have character. If you and your friend both have a 2012 Corolla, they are exactly alike. But everyone with a squarebody has a story. Each one is miles different than the other. I'd much rather put work into an old car than have all the money in the world to buy supercars. Old cars are just so much cooler and so much cheaper. And they are a great oppurtunity to learn how cars work and how to work on them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody