"Proper Starting procedure" for Squarebody

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Shoot, most people don't even understand the correct starting procedure for a fuel injected vehicle (yes, there is one), let alone a carb'd one!
What is it for a fuel injected car?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TerryRH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350ci
What is it for a fuel injected car?

Turn the key to run > Wait for the fuel pump to prime (many manuals say allow the dash lights to cycle off for time reference if you can't hear the pump) > Turn key to 'start' until vehicle starts then release

This changes on many TBW GM vehicles starting about 2004 or so that self crank, so on these, instead of holding the key in the 'start' position until the vehicle starts, you bump the key to 'start' and let it go. Even if the vehicle does not start right away (e.g. bad fuel pump; low battery), it will continue to crank until it starts, or a predetermined period of time before quitting - in which case you bump the key to start again, and it will again crank for a predetermined period of time.

Some other vehicles have adopted this as well, but I cannot remember them off the top of my head.

Last edited:

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
I had no idea it is this complicated to start a car.

I always pump once then turn key and push pedal down at same time.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I always thought that if you need to consult the manual on how to start it, you probably shouldn't be driving.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
At first I thought this is gay. Then it made me question my starting procedure Lol

Usually I thought pumping it a few times was a must. I'd pump it a few times and crank for about 5 second then start. Not too bad it's an old truck.

Then I went out after reading gm procedure. Pushed it to the floor once and let up. Then cranked it and that MF Fired right up in like 2 seconds.

Haha I'm the ******* that has been doing it wrong!

Thanks for asking this question kid

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I always thought that if you need to consult the manual on how to start it, you probably shouldn't be driving.
Well I can obviously start it, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't damaging the lifespan of the vehicle in any way.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
At first I thought this is gay. Then it made me question my starting procedure Lol

Usually I thought pumping it a few times was a must. I'd pump it a few times and crank for about 5 second then start. Not too bad it's an old truck.

Then I went out after reading gm procedure. Pushed it to the floor once and let up. Then cranked it and that MF Fired right up in like 2 seconds.

Haha I'm the ******* that has been doing it wrong!

Thanks for asking this question kid
Absolutely! I was doing the same thing, and when I tried the one pump it started just as easily, if not easier. I'm glad I asked this question too!

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Well it seems I'm back to having to give it multiple pumps to get it to start. The 1 pump worked twice then not again. Oh well, I get it to start.

2 before the start then probably 3 during the crank. Then it fires off.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
For some reason, a starting procedure is printed on the inside of the sun visor on my '74.
You must be registered for see images attach

Unfortunately, it does not apply when starting in -23 F. I'll tell you, it was a bitch starting it at that temperature.

Step 1:

Get pissed off that your fuel injected Chevrolet Suburban won't turn over due to the use of 20w50 oil in its 330,000 mile TBI 350.

Step 2:

None of your fuel injected vehicles will start, what makes you think that a carbureted vehicle will start?

Step 3:

Find out that 20w50 has let you down.

Step 4:

Get frost bite after pulling all of the plugs to relieve compression (What compression?) in the vein hope that you can get the motor turning over fast enough to build oil pressure.

Step 5:

Your balls freeze off.

Step 6:

Nearly faint when it actually turns over (That might just be the hypothermia kicking in).

Step 7:

Attempt to build oil pressure.

Step 8:

Say screw it after the gauge does not move at all, and dump a 10 to 1 mix of 2 stroke gas down the carburetor.

Step 9:

Keep cranking until the cylinders seem well lubricated.

Step 10:

Gash yourself the "radiator support" (Bailing Wire) and yell profanities while reinstalling the spark plugs.

Step 11:

PUMP LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!!!!!!

Step 12:

Spew out some profanities before you realize that you fubared the firing order (cylinders 2 and 4 swaped).

Step 13:

Empty about half a can of either down the carburetor until it back fires through the carburetor and nearly burns one of your eyebrows off.

Step 14:

Self pitty until you realize that your driveway is at an incline.

Step 15:

Pump like mad, release the e-brake, then pop the clutch.

Step 16:

Bask in the glory of the feat you just achieved.

Step 17:

Spin a bearing.

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Wrong wrong WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!

You don't grab the handle like that! If it kicks back that's how you get a broken wrist or arm.

You CRADLE the handle in your open hand(s). Bring it around until you feel compression, give it a quick pull up, and away you go.

K

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
For some reason, a starting procedure is printed on the inside of the sun visor on my '74.

Unfortunately, it does not apply when starting in -23 F. I'll tell you, it was a bitch starting it at that temperature.

Step 1:

Get pissed off that your fuel injected Chevrolet Suburban won't turn over due to the use of 20w50 oil in its 330,000 mile TBI 350.

Step 2:

None of your fuel injected vehicles will start, what makes you think that a carbureted vehicle will start?

Step 3:

etc etc

Spin a bearing.

You forgot the part about looking for the keys for a half hour before you do anything else.

K

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Find out that 20w50 has let you down.

Step 4:

Get frost bite after pulling all of the plugs to relieve compression (What compression?) in the vein hope that you can get the motor turning over fast enough to build oil pressure.

Step 5:

Your balls freeze off.

Step 6:

Nearly faint when it actually turns over (That might just be the hypothermia kicking in).

Step 7:

Attempt to build oil pressure.

Step 8:

Say screw it after the gauge does not move at all, and dump a 10 to 1 mix of 2 stroke gas down the carburetor.

Step 9:

Keep cranking until the cylinders seem well lubricated.

Step 10:

Gash yourself the "radiator support" (Bailing Wire) and yell profanities while reinstalling the spark plugs.

Step 11:

PUMP LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!!!!!!

Step 12:

Spew out some profanities before you realize that you fubared the firing order (cylinders 2 and 4 swaped).

Step 13:

Empty about half a can of either down the carburetor until it back fires through the carburetor and nearly burns one of your eyebrows off.

Step 14:

Self pitty until you realize that your driveway is at an incline.

Step 15:

Pump like mad, release the e-brake, then pop the clutch.

Step 16:

Bask in the glory of the feat you just achieved.

Step 17:

Spin a bearing.

Damn, that sucks.

I was shocked that my old 454 fired up during that cold spell. Didn't seem to mind the cold at all.

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
I love the way a random thread will just blow the hell up here! I've always pumped the pedal three or four times on cold starts on anything with a carb. One pump has been doing the trick for now, we will see how it works in cooler weather.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I had no idea it is this complicated to start a car.

I always pump once then turn key and push pedal down at same time.

My dad observed that the race car was always the easiest starting thing around.

K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody