Power steering fluid .. what type ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Not moving to South Central VA? Would have been nice to get up.
Not side tracking, sorry, watching for responses. I have not had the need to replace steering fluid yet for my truck.

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
Not side tracking, sorry, watching for responses. I have not had the need to replace steering fluid yet for my truck.
I just topped it off. Need to check it again as the trans line leak would have provided cover. No new spots in the driveway though!

I also wishfully topped off the wiper fluid then saw the lines Were swollen and cut lol.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Not moving to South Central VA? Would have been nice to get up.

Nope, the timing was off by about 6 months, lol. I didn't have the desire, or ability to move right after buying a house. When we were house shopping, I did casually look for houses in the Nottoway County and Lunenburg County areas, but at the time I wasn't sure if there would be enough work for me so we didn't pursue it. We could have got a lot more acres for the money down there too. Oh well.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I’ve been dumping cheap generic Oriely ATF fluid in Saginaw pumps for years, I even dumped Mopar ATF-4 in one once, because I had some left over from another job. The old Saginaw systems do not seem to care what you dump in them. I’m not even sure why generic dedicated power steering fluid even exists. It’s existence reminds of the joke about a left-handed screwdriver.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Well I like the ATF myself . I use these for the late model fords and this for the later GM.S I know there's a lot of people on this site that's why I like the input.. ups or downs great info on a lot of topics , tech info
Thanks happy easter
nice.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I’ve been dumping cheap generic Oriely ATF fluid in Saginaw pumps for years, I even dumped Mopar ATF-4 in one once, because I had some left over from another job. The old Saginaw systems do not seem to care what you dump in them. I’m not even sure why generic dedicated power steering fluid even exists. It’s existence reminds of the joke about a left-handed screwdriver.
Dex VI should not ever touch the inside of your power steering system unless you drive a small amount of crossovers gm made in like 2011-2015 where they specifically designed a new steering gear to replace the originals and used dex vi instead of ps fluid in those. PS operates under higher pressures than transmissions, and the ingredients in the synthetic dex vi dont like seals in ps systems so much. a big part of it has to do with air in the fluid, and thus heat, thus cavitation, and thus worn intenrals and burnt fluid, and thus less lubrication, and thus shortened service life

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well I like the ATF myself . I use these for the late model fords and this for the later GM.S I know there's a lot of people on this site that's why I like the input.. ups or downs great info on a lot of topics , tech info
Thanks happy easter
Either will be fine. Running GM atf in a GM PS system or Mercon in Ford is just a placebo though.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Would like input on what type power steering fluid everyone is using new system no leaks . Say 1985 to 1989 GM of course... also does anybody use the new stuff that's clear for the later models . Thanks
My squarebody has manual steering, but I have always used ATF in my vehicles that have power steering and never had a problem.

J.B.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Yep. It's what GM called for, so that's what I used. I won't claim It's better than PS fluid, but it's one less fluid to keep in stock.
Red power steering fluid is just low-grade ATF in smaller containers, and, of course, a higher price.

J.B.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Dex VI should not ever touch the inside of your power steering system unless you drive a small amount of crossovers gm made in like 2011-2015 where they specifically designed a new steering gear to replace the originals and used dex vi instead of ps fluid in those. PS operates under higher pressures than transmissions, and the ingredients in the synthetic dex vi dont like seals in ps systems so much. a big part of it has to do with air in the fluid, and thus heat, thus cavitation, and thus worn intenrals and burnt fluid, and thus less lubrication, and thus shortened service life
Never knew that they now have a synthetic Dexron. Good to know.

J.B.

JeffK10America

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
thatll work. you live in the south now right?
Yes I do live in the south ,
My squarebody has manual steering, but I have always used ATF in my vehicles that have power steering and never had a problem.

J.B.
yes I agree me as well , I don't see a problem running any ATF in power steering. No matter the brand . Especially one product that says trans fluid and power steering fluid , I was just a little more concerned with a new system And not my vehicle.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That's what they always specified for power steering systems - ATF.

J.B.
square bodies have called for GM power steering fluid since about 1992.(I realize they were out of production then, but it was retroactive via a TSB. the primary reason was due to fluid leaks.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus