Power steering fluid .. what type ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
All power steering fluids are not interchangable,just because they say power steering fluid,many different varieties for different manufacturers. .Toyota,Ford and GM both recommended atf for years maybe decades,I'm not going to research it that far. But it's what GM used in the Saginaw power steering which is what our trucks have. The caps used to say use atf. I'm too lazy to go look at some of my power steering reservoirs right now,but I might later. Dexron replaced type A and continued to be recommended. As a matter if fact the label doesn't tell the whole story,I can't count how many manual transmission call for automatic transmission fluid.

Yep, the name doesn't mean much. ATF is used in manual trans applications and transfer case applications too. Not to mention there's older transfer cases that call for engine oil. It doesn't matter what the name is, it just matters what the specified equipment was designed to use.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If that's what the manufacturer calls for, then it should have ATF put in it.

It's funny this subject popped up. I was at Advance yesterday picking up some donut gaskets I ordered. A lady came in behind me, holding a new quart of ATF, then went to the counter and said they sold her the wrong stuff. Said her boyfriend said it had to be PS fluid. The guy at the counter told her it called for ATF and I could tell she wasn't believing it. So then I piped in, lol. I told her it was true, some manufacturers call for ATF in the steering system. She said thanks and said she would let her boyfriend know it takes ATF. I don't remember what the vehicle was, some boring SUV thing that might have been 10 years old.
Probably a Tesla. Lol

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Kind of a fored trash talk, huh, Rob @SirRobyn0 ^^^^^^^
I suppose it is. A guy I use to work with was a fan of the older 70's and early 80's Ford pickups, he had a green F100, and we'd trade insults back and forth in a joking fashion.

He might say something like, "oh, your replacing valve cover gaskets, got to love rounded cylinder head mating surface" And I'd say something like "at least my sector shaft doesn't leak consciously"...

He's also the only guy that would commonly hang out with me for 15 or so minutes after close for a quick drink.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I think i can say that I've actually never bought ps fluid before lol

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
hydraulic fluid,atf,10 weight oil,what ever i have available..... if it has oil it will work an not fry the pump........no oil pump will fry......squealing pumps tighten up the dam belt or use two belts or buy a better belt.......................

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yep, the name doesn't mean much. ATF is used in manual trans applications and transfer case applications too. Not to mention there's older transfer cases that call for engine oil. It doesn't matter what the name is, it just matters what the specified equipment was designed to use.
My np 203 calls for 10w30 motor oil.My 5spd ford stick called for atf.Other sticks called for 90w gear oil.Times change from the 60s and 70s.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
@Frankenchevy Jeremy tell your "friend" with the man bun, you need your truck washed.....and PICS!!!!!!!........lol
Acquaintance. I can’t be friends with a someone that has a man bun. The chasm between my fundamentals and someone sporting that haircut couldn’t be bridged by the Francis Scott…wait, too soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benn95