Power steering fluid .. what type ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeffK10America

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
ATF flows worse at low temps and foams easier , two things you dont want in the hydraulic circuit giving your brakes power assist
It sure does foam , I used ATF plus power steering fluid I had on hand .. motor craft , and I never moved the burb , just let it run checking for leaks
Then gave it a lil gas whine whine . Turned wheel back and forth , no luck . Sucked that stuff out . Put AC delco clear . All good now . Lil to no foam or air bubbles.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
5 pages on power steering fluids
I use ATF in mine, John Deere Hygard in the transmission. Hope it doesnt void my warranty lol

Apparently it's a controversial subject. Right up there with the radial/bias/tube/tubeless rim debate and the ever popular Holley/Edelbrock debate. Lol.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Apparently it's a controversial subject. Right up there with the radial/bias/tube/tubeless rim debate and the ever popular Holley/Edelbrock debate. Lol
Andy, you know I stayed out of this discussion on purpose about the power steering fluid, but you brought up tubeless tire rims. Tubeless tires need to be on safety rims.

Does anyone besides me, and maybe you, know what the difference is between a safety rim and one that is not?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Andy, you know I stayed out of this discussion on purpose about the power steering fluid, but you brought up tubeless tire rims. Tubeless tires need to be on safety rims.

Does anyone besides me, and maybe you, know what the difference is between a safety rim and one that is not?

Have you seen one of the recent tire/rim threads? I'll find a link to it. It's a pretty good discussion, imho.

Do you mean a safety bead, or retention bead? If so, that topic was brought up as well.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Here it is:

I'm pretty sure the OP here has later model rims and it doesn't matter, but I'm very curious of your opinion on the subject.

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Like I said earlier, read the owners manual. It's got a lot of good info. Hardly anyone reads them. When I buy a vehicle I'm unfamiliar with, that's the first thing I do, read the manual. It will tell you exactly what fluids to use unless it tells you to "take it to the dealer".

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
5 pages on power steering fluids
I use ATF in mine, John Deere Hygard in the transmission. Hope it doesnt void my warranty lol
Ive heard the john deere coolant is some high tier stuff too, but I cant justify getting rid of orange fanta for mountain dew. ya know?

JeffK10America

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Try plugging a tubed tire !
Had a boy at work plug one I was off that day . He says this tire is still leaking I said go get 2 new tires , as the one is wore and the other isn't to good . Tire shop told him . Good job plugging that tire . He said I felt like an idiot . Next day goes by I said hey there giving classes on plugging tubed tires today@ 10 am at the tire shop .
Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man