Overheating engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJakey

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Engine was just slightly hot, so I checked the radiator and didn’t put the cap on tight enough. All my antifreeze burned out obviously, but now that I’ve refilled it and put the cap back on tightly, it’s running hotter than ever worth a FULL tank of antifreeze. I guess it could be water pump or thermostat issue, but I never had any major problems until that radiator cap situation. Any suggestions?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Engine was just slightly hot, so I checked the radiator and didn’t put the cap on tight enough. All my antifreeze burned out obviously, but now that I’ve refilled it and put the cap back on tightly, it’s running hotter than ever worth a FULL tank of antifreeze. I guess it could be water pump or thermostat issue, but I never had any major problems until that radiator cap situation. Any suggestions?
I dont know what you just said. engine was "slightly" hot by what measure did you determine that? the cap was loose, so you managed ot drain the whole system...? You fillled it , and its hotter than before. Did you bleed the air, replace the thermostat? flush anything? BELTS?

DID you get a new cap? How about the hose between rad and tank, is it clear!?

You must be registered for see images attach

this was mine not last summer but the one before :)

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I’m betting you have air in the cooling system. Raise the front of the truck so the radiator cap is the highest point of the cooling system. Leave the radiator cap off overnight. The air will naturally be displaced by coolant. If the coolant level drops considerably overnight, you know there was air in the system.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Where can you find the good dark green stuff?

The Wally world stuff, whether 50 50 mix or straight seems a lot more translucent.

That "All Makes, All Models" bullchit.

I want good old green, dammit!

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Most likely the coolant was pushed out when the cap wasn't seated. An easy way to bleed the air out is remove a heater hose or temp sender [whatever is easier] at the front of the intake. Add coolant until it is full. There will still be some air in the system but not much. Heat cycle the engine. After it cools off remove the cap and fill again at the radiator.

Saying the engine is hot is kind of subjective. Does it show hot on the gauge, is it pushing coolant out, what? If possible, buy a heat gun so an actual temperature is known. Not that I am a fan of Harbor Freight, but they are reasonable there.

There are all sorts of things that can cause overheating from a head gasket to just a radiator cap that won't hold pressure. A little more diagnostic information would help.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
You can also get a lot of the air out by starting the truck with the cap off and filling the radiator while its running. Since the heater line bypasses the thermostat, these trucks always have coolant flowing through the whole thing. If you start the truck with the cap off, does the coolant level drop way down? Do you see coolant moving or not? If you dont see any movement of the coolant with the truck running, you probably have a bad water pump.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

The Wally world stuff, whether 50 50 mix or straight seems a lot more translucent.

Some of the Auto parts sell the green conventional antifreeze. I believe I got mine at advance Auto parts or O'Reilly's

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You can also get a lot of the air out by starting the truck with the cap off and filling the radiator while its running. Since the heater line bypasses the thermostat, these trucks always have coolant flowing through the whole thing. If you start the truck with the cap off, does the coolant level drop way down? Do you see coolant moving or not? If you dont see any movement of the coolant with the truck running, you probably have a bad water pump.
This is the method that I use. I hear guys talk about having a hard time getting air out of the cooling systems in these trucks and I honestly don't get it. Fill it, start it, finish filling it, cap it, shut the hood and drive it. Might needed to top it up a tiny bit after that first run but that's it. If that doesn't do the trick there is a mechanical issue.

Is it running hot all the time?
Just at idle?
How hot? What does the gauge show?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

dark green can be found from ford or honda but they are different than the glycol from the 80s 90s we all know and habitually underservice lol

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
This is the method that I use. I hear guys talk about having a hard time getting air out of the cooling systems in these trucks and I honestly don't get it. Fill it, start it, finish filling it, cap it, shut the hood and drive it. Might needed to top it up a tiny bit after that first run but that's it. If that doesn't do the trick there is a mechanical issue.

Is it running hot all the time?
Just at idle?
How hot? What does the gauge show?
squeezing the hose can help too esp if you have a high rise hose

but all ive gathered from the OP so far is that he has a distaste for ford since the start of this thread till now

He prob couldnt get back to us in time because hes waiting on the tow truck because he was using moms truck :(

lol jk

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
squeezing the hose can help too esp if you have a high rise hose

but all ive gathered from the OP so far is that he has a distaste for ford since the start of this thread till now

He prob couldnt get back to us in time because hes waiting on the tow truck because he was using moms truck :(

lol jk
IDK, I'd like to help the OP out, but if I'm honest it's a little frustrating when someone has a problem ie my truck overheats, with really no other useful information. There are so many variables. Questions need to be answered before any of us can do anything other than guess at what the problem might be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bats_67