Tips for draining radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Hi Everybody,

I need to put a new thermostat in my 1984 Sierra. I don't see any drain petcock on the radiator. Does anybody have any tips for draining the radiator without making a huge mess all over the floor? I'm tempted to try to find a pump I can use to pump antifreeze out through the radiator cap. Has anybody tried something like this?

Thank you for any insight!

John

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Many cars today do not have a radiator drain and if they do I usually won't disturb them. It's easy to ruin a radiator loosening the petcock, especially if they have plastic tanks. Ony 2 ways, suck/syphon it out [we have a flush machine to do that] or remove a lower hose. I just figure when the job is done using a hose to wash it down.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Do you have one of those drain pans, green, with the pour spout that holds like 4 gallons?
You need one. If you are careful, you too can do this. Little bits at a time (use a big nipple pick around the hose barb to get it started) until it's drained and off you go. It gets easier over time. Go slow if it's being a pita.
And by all means, if you have a suction gun use it. That way you only need to remove enough coolant to dry out the stat. GL

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Do you have one of those drain pans, green, with the pour spout that holds like 4 gallons?
You need one. If you are careful, you too can do this. Little bits at a time (use a big nipple pick around the hose barb to get it started) until it's drained and off you go. It gets easier over time. Go slow if it's being a pita.
And by all means, if you have a suction gun use it. That way you only need to remove enough coolant to dry out the stat. GL
I'm not sure what a "big nipple pick" is but I'm subscribed to this thread.

Jimbarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Mine's an allen plug in the lower drivers side of the radiator. Easy access but still makes a hellova mess.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
We are about to drain ours for Vintage Air install. When he did the top of the motor the petcock worked and we cleaned and lubed it up knowing we would need to drain it again for something. Used the big green pan as well, holds it all.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
If you search "nipple pick", you come up with a tool related to black powder firearms. Sorry, I think what I was referring to is called a 'hose puller pick'. Something like this
You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry if I disappointed anyone. Way back in the 20th century I remembered nipple picks covering an array of implements, ranging from large like above to tiny like these.

Some guys called 'em booger pickers. Eww. But then, considering the actual picking of nipples....

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
If you search "nipple pick", you come up with a tool related to black powder firearms. Sorry, I think what I was referring to is called a 'hose puller pick'. Something like this

Sorry if I disappointed anyone. Way back in the 20th century I remembered nipple picks covering an array of implements, ranging from large like above to tiny like these.

Some guys called 'em booger pickers. Eww. But then, considering the actual picking of nipples....
I'll have to "pick up" one of those. I also ordered a syphon pump. I'm hopeful I can get enough antifreeze out with it to get swap out the thermostat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels