Champion radiator difficulties

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
The factory radiator gave up in our 90 Suburban, so I ordered a 3 core Champion aluminum one to replace it. I went this route because I’m not a fan of plastic radiator tanks, and this is supposedly a direct fit. Well, it is 1” narrower and about 1/4” shorter. I will have to move the passenger side top hold down because it currently will hit the radiator cap in stock location. Not too big of a deal I guess. The other thing I noticed is the pipe that the top radiator hose connects to is 1.5” OD and the factory radiator was 1.25” OD. Does anyone know of a radiator hose that would fit the stock thermostat housing and also be 1.5” OD where it meets the radiator?

Also, I’m curious what others have done for modifications to make one of these radiators "fit" better?

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
The factory radiator gave up in our 90 Suburban, so I ordered a 3 core Champion aluminum one to replace it. I went this route because I’m not a fan of plastic radiator tanks, and this is supposedly a direct fit. Well, it is 1” narrower and about 1/4” shorter. I will have to move the passenger side top hold down because it currently will hit the radiator cap in stock location. Not too big of a deal I guess. The other thing I noticed is the pipe that the top radiator hose connects to is 1.5” OD and the factory radiator was 1.25” OD. Does anyone know of a radiator hose that would fit the stock thermostat housing and also be 1.5” OD where it meets the radiator?

Also, I’m curious what others have done for modifications to make one of these radiators "fit" better?
Had the same problem on my 87 GMC. I had to revamp the lower saddle mounts on the bottom then cut away the upper mount on the passenger to allow for clearance of the cap. After a few phone calls I found out that these radiators are just a bit different and require some mods to fit in.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Seems like the previous thirty years wasnt enough time to create a direct fit. Makes ya wonder how they call it that.  Why seems pretty easy to figure out.

Id look to something else LO5 powered like Caprice or similar B body but i'd also want to look at S10 blazer. I think that's too different, id still want to look anyway. S10 is on the other side. Right? Exactly backwards?

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Ok, so here is what I ended up doing: first pic is showing where the passenger top mount in stock position would hit on the radiator.
You must be registered for see images attach

So I had to move the top mount over. I lined up the left hole in the mount with the original right hole in the frame support. I had to trim the little lip off the top of the frame support. I added some extra rubber under the mounts to hold the radiator better since it is about 1/4" or so shorter than the original. Also had to notch out the lower fan shroud to clear the bung for the lower radiator hose. The strap is to hold the top of the fan shroud since it no longer lines up with the radiator hold down correctly after moving it.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Seems to fit pretty well after the modifications.

The fan shroud ended up not sitting on the drivers side tank like with the stock radiator, so I decided to use a longer bolt and some spacers to hold the shroud out a little bit so it wouldn't rub on the fins of the radiator.

Now I just need to figure out a top radiator hose that will fit the larger 1.5" top bung. I wonder if a hose for a 454 would work?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Seems to fit pretty well after the modifications.

The fan shroud ended up not sitting on the drivers side tank like with the stock radiator, so I decided to use a longer bolt and some spacers to hold the shroud out a little bit so it wouldn't rub on the fins of the radiator.

Now I just need to figure out a top radiator hose that will fit the larger 1.5" top bung. I wonder if a hose for a 454 would work?
Thats one way of doing things!

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
weird....
i got a champ 3 core as well and it dropped right into my 85 crew-no mods. shroud, panel even my stock hoses fit .
installed it '09, never had a prob, never overheats, even going thru the mountains with the camper and quad trailer

dusterdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc c15
Engine Size
Damnit,my 3 core champion is arriving today.should i return it and buy something else?

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Since you have a big block, is that the wider radiator? I ordered the 3 core for a V1500 with a 350. I’m pretty sure the big blocks had a wider radiator. Maybe Champion’s big block radiators fit better? I will look up the part number of the one I got.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Damnit,my 3 core champion is arriving today.should i return it and buy something else?
When your radiator arrives, measure it and compare it to the stock one. I’d be curious how yours measures up. I’m heading to Napa today to compare some top radiator hoses and see what I can find to make work.

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
Since you have a big block, is that the wider radiator? I ordered the 3 core for a V1500 with a 350. I’m pretty sure the big blocks had a wider radiator. Maybe Champion’s big block radiators fit better? I will look up the part number of the one I got.
like i said, installed it about 13 yrs ago so kinda hazy, but i do remember measuring height and width of my old one, didn't specific model order it.
give me some time, i know i got the receipt in my big box of bills

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Hate to recommend Amazon but if it doesn’t fit they take returns postage paid, my 2 cents. Frustrating, I’m due for a radiator as well. There are places that re-core

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I think part of the problem is that there were a couple different radiator options in these trucks though the years, and radiator manufactures only make a few options and consider them all "direct fit"

I almost did a Champion radiator when my copper / brass was shot and I have no where to repair it for a reasonable cost. In the end I went with a Spectra CU730, this is the maximum cooling 454 with A/C radiator. Wider and taller than my stock 3 core 305 radiator, so of course I had to make modifications, but I expected to need to do so. Main issues, I needed wider mounts and had to modify the fan shroud.

Personally I think plastic tanked aluminum radiators get a bad rap. They are a lot better than they use to be, but will not make it 40 years like the old copper / brass did.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Pretty certain now that I installed a Blazer radiator in the k5 but it doesnt fit correctly because the entire front clip must be Suburban.
A Suburban part would probably fit correctly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969