Overheating engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scribbles

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Most likely the coolant was pushed out when the cap wasn't seated. An easy way to bleed the air out is remove a heater hose or temp sender [whatever is easier] at the front of the intake. Add coolant until it is full. There will still be some air in the system but not much. Heat cycle the engine. After it cools off remove the cap and fill again at the radiator.

Saying the engine is hot is kind of subjective. Does it show hot on the gauge, is it pushing coolant out, what? If possible, buy a heat gun so an actual temperature is known. Not that I am a fan of Harbor Freight, but they are reasonable there.

There are all sorts of things that can cause overheating from a head gasket to just a radiator cap that won't hold pressure. A little more diagnostic information would help.
I had this exact problem but I wish I had seen this back a few years ago when it was in the moment. I kept cycling the engine from hot to cold and refilling but this would have obviously been WAY easier. Or I could have tried the other idea for lifting the front of the truck as well. I will always remember now!! This was in my 89 Burban so I hope its ok to use the tips on it : )

potent rodent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
butch
Truck Year
86 and 78
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 and 305
if u have a rural king around they carry the green , its the full strength and 50/50

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dynoh350