One day builds, or quick projects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Some random stuff I welded up for the misses.

Just misc crap out of scrap metal.

You must be registered for see images attach

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Some random stuff I welded up for the misses.

Just misc crap out of scrap metal.

Very artistic, it's nice to be able to take nothing and turn it into something!:cheers:

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Me and dad get into friendly arguments from time to time...
We wants to Mig everything, I say NO.
It's not penetrating it.

He says "it looks better"
I say, mf, i can make my stick welds look good too.

That's part of the reason for the huge HF jack stand recall ' crap welds with no penetration'!

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Very artistic, it's nice to be able to take nothing and turn it into something!:cheers:

The butterfly is made from a old chain on farm equipment, expanded metal, rebar for the pole it stands on, the head is a piece of cold rolled I cut out and shaped, it's antennae are compressor motor bolts.

The weird tower thingy is old EDM slugs from when we were cutting a hex shape into a large hex for these guys...

The flower is a dana 60 wheel bearing, spoons, and some sort of shaft for the stem.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
I spotted from your post previous in this thread your obvious fabrication skills! Nice work and nice to see that you use a real welder meaning Stick. Also nice rig (from your intro post, the 75). A lot of people buy the 99.00 HF piece of **** and immediately think they are welding Gods, LOL, there's a world of difference between welding and melting two pieces of metal together. Stick welding is becoming a lost art, everybody seems to prefer the squirt guns nowadays. I prefer 'Ole School', from back when you had to pay your dues to be called a welder! Lookin' forward to meeting up with you North of Dallas! A fellow 'Brother of the HOOD!:cheers:

Thank ya Mike, and yes stick welding is a dying art it seems, and brazing is never to be done again lol. I'm from the day where we "learned" to weld with a welding tourch and wire, be nice were that still taught (I do if a kid wants to learn to weld) That being said I use a little of most of it in my living, braze/ solder, stick, MIG and Tig just depends on what I'm doing. In the shop on heavy stuff 3/16 and better I've grown to like the dual shield flux core, it is awful strong and alot faster. Though, I also do a lot of build up work and use the ole 7018 for that, it turns back down real nice on the lathe. Well, I'm no welder, nor machinist, nor mechanic just an old coonass that fixs stuff!!

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
my buddy bought a new toy hauler fifth wheel so he wanted to sell his old one. His cousin traded him for this old MB sport ski boat that had been sitting in his side yard for a couple years with water in the hull from rain. We gave the gelcoat a little detail, cleaned the interior and checked over the engine. The engine had water in the cylinders but not any rust that I could see through my scope. After we pumped all the water all the cylinders with a little tractor supply hand pump, I put some ATF in before doing a compression test. One of the cylinders was low on compression, but we hoped it was just stuck rings. Another good bit of ATF and some cranking with the spark plugs removed and the rings seemed to seat. All the compression was good across-the-board afterwards. We replaced the fuel filter, but the carb still needs a going through. Changed the oil and the spark plugs. Anyway she runs pretty decent considering. It’s a Holley, so a rebuild kit should be easy to find.

Last edited:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Thank ya Mike, and yes stick welding is a dying art it seems, and brazing is never to be done again lol. I'm from the day where we "learned" to weld with a welding tourch and wire, be nice were that still taught (I do if a kid wants to learn to weld) That being said I use a little of most of it in my living, braze/ solder, stick, MIG and Tig just depends on what I'm doing. In the shop on heavy stuff 3/16 and better I've grown to like the dual shield flux core, it is awful strong and alot faster. Though, I also do a lot of build up work and use the ole 7018 for that, it turns back down real nice on the lathe. Well, I'm no welder, nor machinist, nor mechanic just an old coonass that fixs stuff!!
I remember watching my dad "weld" the exhaust back on the car with the torch and old coat hangers.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I remember watching my dad "weld" the exhaust back on the car with the torch and old coat hangers.
I learned with a torch, and my first welder was just a cheap buzzbox stick welder.But the coat hanger reminded me we used to use coat hanger and a torch all the time at work.I can't remember the who's why's etc. but somebody said something about having no welding rod and somebody said just use a coat hanger, lol, no one was paying enough attention he put a piece of coat hanger in a 250 amp thunderbolt stick.It didn't work.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Working on a really simple bicycle rack out of square tube so I can hang me and the misses bicycles and go riding...

Wanted to do this before the beach trip but I ran out of time.

Tubing is probably way too thick, but who cares.

It'll hold my ass, so it'll hold two aluminum bikes.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I'm gonna come up with some sort of fastening system to lock the bikes down for traveling, but here's the idea with one rachet strapped down

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Bikes are not positioned how I want them to be because I just have them rachet strapped down, but the general idea is given here.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Bikes are not positioned how I want them to be because I just have them rachet strapped down, but the general idea is given here.

Your grass is kinda tall. Almost like you haven't been home for a week and it rained a bunch :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120