OEM air cleaner size/dimensions for 1983 GMC pickup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caleb1534

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
5.0 L
We just got back from a trip to Tennessee. While we were there, we looked at my great-grandfather's 1983 GMC Pickup C1500 Wideside pickup (trim level High Sierra).

One thing I noticed right away it that the truck is missing its air cleaner assembly. I'm hoping that nothing detrimental got down inside the engine through that hole.

I'm guessing that, once we get it back to South Carolina and begin working on it, we may need to partially disassemble the top of the engine and clean it out before attempting to start the engine?

On a different note, does anybody have any idea how to find out the dimensions of the OEM air cleaner?

AutoAnything lists several sizes for its cheapest Edelbrock air cleaner: https://www.autoanything.com/air-fil...lo-air-cleaner

Would this one from Summit Racing

(https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...IaAsfNEALw_wcB)

fit a 1983 GMC Pickup C1500? This truck has a 5.0 L (305 cu. in.) engine and a 4-barrel carburetor if that helps.

You must be registered for see images attach

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
2 bbl carb. I would remove it, rebuild it, inspect intake below carb before trying to start.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think there's been some swappin' in the past. I don't think a 2bbl was available after '76 or so.

They used to make plastic adapters to put a common 4bbl air cleaner on a 2bbl. Maybe they still do. I bought one from a parts store in the late 90's.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
I think there's been some swappin' in the past. I don't think a 2bbl was available after '76 or so.

They used to make plastic adapters to put a common 4bbl air cleaner on a 2bbl. Maybe they still do. I bought one from a parts store in the late 90's.
In 79 a 305 2bbl was the base engine for a f44 C10

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
This is not the correct carb for an 83 anyways, so the correct, stock air filter housing for 83 won't fit that carb anyways. Why not just run an open element air filter?
If you want to run a stock-type air filter housing for the 2bbl rochester, you'll likely have to try ebay. Or you might get lucky at the salvage yard.

(NOTE: Correct, stock carb for 83 v-8's was a 4barrel: You have a 2 barrel on there; Thus, somebody must have swapped it in.)

2) i used one of those plastic adapters to run a 4bbl housing on a 2bbl (yes i had to run a 2G for a while......long story....) and i don't think they are real high-quality; Mine cracked. My recommendation is if you can't find a correct 2bbl housing, run an open element. i don't think there's going to be THAT much difference in MPG, if any........

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
This is what a 4 barrel carb looks like and in fact this is correct for 83---because it came off of my 83:

Please excuse the dirty table; i'm not usually like that but i was busy. Also, i normally don't drink Monster, but i was working night shift when i took the pic. Like i said, i was busy. Of course, putting a carburetor on your table probably doesn't help keep it clean....

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
@#$# i didn't read your post thoroughly. i think i may have added to the confusion; You're not necessarily looking for the black metal round thing that sits on top of the carb, you just want a filter that will fit?

No, the ProFlo will not fit----without an adapter.

An aluminum/metal adapter MIGHT be ok; i've never used one. If metal is ok (likely) then you can run any common air filter like the ProFlo.

2) The rochester 2G has either a 3" air cleaner flange or a 3 1/16" flange
Give me a little time to research. i would like to know myself as i'm thinking of putting two 2g's on a tunnel ram.

So, these might likely fit w/out adapter:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-60-1090/overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-9798/applications

But before all that, the carb looks like it needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
FWIW...
The Rochester 2G was was only available on a corporate blue ('78 - '82) 305 small block in 1978. The dual jet was standard in '79 and only 4bbls from '80 - '82.
Of course, anything is possible to swap around.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’d try eBay or Partshotlines.com to see if you could find a 2bbl air cleaner within the year and engine parameters suggested above. I’d prefer an OEM air cleaner myself, but that’s gonna be much easier to find for a Quadrajet and TBI. You may have to go to an open element filter if your search doesn’t yield anything. Since it’s a 305, I’m not going to recommend sprucing it up with a different carb or intake. Just get it going as is. Also, I see a pretty big vacuum leak so take care of those before you start it.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
This one should fit too:
https://www.jegs.com/i/Demon-Carburetion/333/786004/10002/-1

The mr. Gasket #9798 i listed in post 7 should fit too and is cheaper, but i think mr. gasket quality just isn't too hot. But you do what you want.
After the filter gets dirty you should be able to use any 14" air filter element.

Basically, you need an air filter base with a 3" or 3"1/16 diameter.

As far as the carb, it looks like it needs to be rebuilt. i'm not trying to be condescending, but you seem like a beginner to this and so i would recommend sticking with this 2bbl carb-----for now; It's a decent carb and good one to learn on.

1) The open hose in the front of the carb needs to be plugged.

2) Not sure what to do about cleaning the carb and the intake(?) before trying to start it?

3) After you get it running, i'd want to do a compression check on each cylinder.

4) Do you know if this is a manual steering or power steering truck? If power, you're going to have "fun" trying to drive it...............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man