New/used transmission.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The transmission I bought was definetly a 4x4 unit since I watched him uncouple it from a np205 transfer case. The main shafts are way different, The good one I bought had a little coupler that just slipped onto the shaft between the transfer case and transmission, the one I need goes directly into the transfer case.

I called the dude and explained why I cant use it and he said he has buddy with a sm465 He just pulled out of his 85 with a super long shaft like mine, I will go pick it up around noon tomarrow for 100 bucks.

he said he would sell me the np205 that goes with it for 150 and I could find the drive line in his backyard which sounds tempting... I would rather just find a direct replacement for my trans at this point and get it put back together instead of chasing down drive lines and U-joints and ********.
Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will jump in here quick and give you some advice. I am not up on those splines, outputs, and which NP205 etc fits whats, but if the guy will sell you the NP205 that came off that SM465 that you have now, and the driveline too, I think I'd go that route for sure. I'd imagine you have an NP208 now? Stepping up to a NP205 would only be a stronger Tcase. You'll lose some crawl ratio out of the Tcase, but with Granny low, how much crawl ratio do you really need ? Just saying, I'd look hard into spending $150 for the NP205 upgrade, rather than $100 just to put it back the way it was.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will jump in here quick and give you some advice. I am not up on those splines, outputs, and which NP205 etc fits whats, but if the guy will sell you the NP205 that came off that SM465 that you have now, and the driveline too, I think I'd go that route for sure. I'd imagine you have an NP208 now? Stepping up to a NP205 would only be a stronger Tcase. You'll lose some crawl ratio out of the Tcase, but with Granny low, how much crawl ratio do you really need ? Just saying, I'd look hard into spending $150 for the NP205 upgrade, rather than $100 just to put it back the way it was.

Thats bouncing around in my mind right now, im just not sure I need the 205 since I don't really do alot off road lately. The body on this truck is to straight to go screwin around in the desert and putting the 205 to good use. the main thing is the crossmember. My ****** luck means it wont line up with the original holes and I have no drill to make new holes. I should buy it all just because thats a good deal on the 205 transfer case! but then again... I live in a god damn apartment and dont have room to store any of this ******** I wanna save.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome to my world. You have a good excuse why you can't store your parts. You are in an apartment. I live in a house with a huge lot, and can't store my parts because the pricks in the city hall won't allow it. We can't even have a car sit in our driveway with a flat tire. Its considered a disabled vehicle and illegal. It has to be in the garage.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome to my world. You have a good excuse why you can't store your parts. You are in an apartment. I live in a house with a huge lot, and can't store my parts because the pricks in the city hall won't allow it. We can't even have a car sit in our driveway with a flat tire. Its considered a disabled vehicle and illegal. It has to be in the garage.

Thats a bunch of **** man, if you buy land its YOURS. I understand laws to keep people from turning their house into a complete wreck but when they start tagging our vehicles as "junk" I get a little defensive.

As soon as i get my truck put back together and don't have to worry about getting towed I am going to compose a awesome letter to my home owners association.

They actually mailed me a letter because I had a minature Webber BBq grill outside my door.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm with you. I agree to certain rules the keep the city reasonably clean, but crap like a flat tire on a car? Not like its wrecked dismantled car in the driveway leaving fluids into the sewage system. OR for god sakes a Webbers grill??? If it were me, I think I'd bring my damn grill in the living room and grill me some steak, and it would sure be well done, cuz I'd catch the complex on fire. Ooops ACCIDENT, SORRY !!! You told me I couldn't have it outside. Maybe you ought to rethink your policy, or better yet, provide grills for the tenants to use. Which I have seen at many complexes. They are made of steel and it sit on top of about a 3ft pole, and have several around the premises for tenants to use.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I'm with you. I agree to certain rules the keep the city reasonably clean, but crap like a flat tire on a car? Not like its wrecked dismantled car in the driveway leaving fluids into the sewage system. OR for god sakes a Webbers grill??? If it were me, I think I'd bring my damn grill in the living room and grill me some steak, and it would sure be well done, cuz I'd catch the complex on fire. Ooops ACCIDENT, SORRY !!! You told me I couldn't have it outside. Maybe you ought to rethink your policy, or better yet, provide grills for the tenants to use. Which I have seen at many complexes. They are made of steel and it sit on top of about a 3ft pole, and have several around the premises for tenants to use.

They have a regular one you would find at home depot or wally world, only problem is its in the center if this giant litter box and its chained to a tree haha. When I say giant litter box I mean they filled their ****** court yard with this very fine tan gravel that looks just like cat litter, all the dogs around use it like cats use actual litter box's. Its disgusting, imagine having your buds over for steak and beer and you have to deal with giant piles of dogshit all around the grill!

I went out of my way to haul a 10 dollar grill over 1000 miles just because I liked it so much and I will be damned if I dont use it here. I like the grilling in the living room idea, that would be awesome when its snowing!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Back in business. Just got back from square body heaven, this guy had one more bad ass square in his yard. I counted 5 really nice rigs out front and a 70's trans am it looked like.

This should be the correct transmission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You need to be posting pics of what you have so someone can advise? What are you doing with the 1st trans you bought now?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
You need to be posting pics of what you have so someone can advise? What are you doing with the 1st trans you bought now?

The new transmission is now coupled with the 208 transfer case, its on the jack and ready to be stabbed, now if I could just get the clutch splines andd everything to go in I will be in business.

The first transmission I bought is going to go back where I got it from, Me and the guy are going to couple it with the 205 it came off of and put it back on craigsist and hopefully someone buys it so he could make a little and me too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Maybe I missed it, but did you buy a new clutch too while you have it appart? Or did you loosen the pressure plate bolts? You'll need a clutch alignment tool. Those plastic ones work well and about $11 or so, maybe a bit higher these days, but don't even try without it. It not a shortcut worth taking. I know someguys say they can match it up on the flywheel, blah blah blah, and BS, they end up getting the tool after fighting with it for an hour or two.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I took it loose at the bell housing so everything is good, All I did was re pack the throw out bearing. I had to give up for the night, my niebor was helping me but it got a little bit to cold for him so I got my wife :roflbow:. Hopefully tomarrow I could get it done.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I took it loose at the bell housing so everything is good, All I did was re pack the throw out bearing. I had to give up for the night, my niebor was helping me but it got a little bit to cold for him so I got my wife :roflbow:. Hopefully tomarrow I could get it done.
I couldn't ever use my wife to help me under the vehicles. The few times I did, we ended up not getting a thing done, but checking to make sure noone else was watching and ....

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I couldn't ever use my wife to help me under the vehicles. The few times I did, we ended up not getting a thing done, but checking to make sure noone else was watching and ....

HAHA your crazy man, and so is she.

On another note, Finally got the transmission in. All thats left is to bolt in drive lines and fill the **** up with fluid. Its incredible how much I get done by myself and when I have people helping me its always a total clusterfuck.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You got that right. I many times find, depending on noone gets things done quicker and more efficently. Occaisonally somethings you just can't do yourself and it sucks with noone was around.

No, she wasn't crazy, she was fun, but to bad she decdied to have fun with everyone else too, so I divorced her. Did I mention she was a preachers daughter??? For real !!! Really had a great set of morals. NOT !!!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
You got that right. I many times find, depending on noone gets things done quicker and more efficently. Occaisonally somethings you just can't do yourself and it sucks with noone was around.

No, she wasn't crazy, she was fun, but to bad she decdied to have fun with everyone else too, so I divorced her. Did I mention she was a preachers daughter??? For real !!! Really had a great set of morals. NOT !!!

HAHA and we get deeper. I had one of those types, after a herpies scare I considered my options :roflbow:.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay