New/used transmission.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thank God, and I mean that. Thank God above. I didn't catch anything, and feel so lucky. But hey, she kept it between her married coworkers, so as long as they were married and ... Yeah right. Anyway, it was fun for 10 years, then went downhill and then I filed the D before I did catch something. What happens when you get a young hottie I guess. I shoulda got an old ass tub of lard and wouldn't have had that problem. LMAO, NOT !!!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Some girls need a warning tatted on them. There's nothing like thinking you have an STD and you KNOW in your head you've been behaving. Every day I thank god I never married her and we never financed that car together, I would be paying alimony on top of child support haha.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Some girls need a warning tatted on them. There's nothing like thinking you have an STD and you KNOW in your head you've been behaving. Every day I thank god I never married her and we never financed that car together, I would be paying alimony on top of child support haha.
Thats a fact. I did OK in the D other than losing half the household income when she left since I got her educated and good job. And I did have custody and she was paying child support until an attorney screwed my case up and custody was give back to her 2 years later. I don't miss her, but I do miss my son. He is 14 now and at that age where his friends and girls are more important, so I get very little time with him. He talks like he wants to work on the trucks all the time, but then when it comes down to it, Oh, my friend Joe is coming over and..... So needless to say, that doesn't happen much. My dad didn't know jack about working on anything mechanical and I tried doing everything mechanical since about 11 years old, so I hung out with the old adult neighbors and helped them, started out by just handing wrenches, then into repairing lawmowers, then when I got my own car, it was the old guys that told me some tips and tricks, and the willingness to learn and reading books since we didn't have the internet back then, and I firgured things out on my own. I was hoping my son was the same way, but NO appears not.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I say get him a project to call his own, make him work on it and figure the **** out. Im sure he would get an interest in driving it eventually and thats plenty of motivation. Maybe not, maybe some of us are a rare breed that cant stop wrenching on **** and have to unite on the internet on forums.

My son Brandon is going to be 3 this April and I just hope he takes interest in wrenching, definitely trying to plant the seed early and we will see.

I just finished my transmission R&R. Im feeling pretty proud right now, this feeling of satisfaction cant be bought with money.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I say get him a project to call his own, make him work on it and figure the **** out. Im sure he would get an interest in driving it eventually and thats plenty of motivation. Maybe not, maybe some of us are a rare breed that cant stop wrenching on **** and have to unite on the internet on forums.

My son Brandon is going to be 3 this April and I just hope he takes interest in wrenching, definitely trying to plant the seed early and we will see.

I just finished my transmission R&R. Im feeling pretty proud right now, this feeling of satisfaction cant be bought with money.
Cool, you got it running and driving then? How about the exhaust. You get it figured out too?
I gave my son a project to call his own, thinking that might work, but naww, him knowing he couldn't drive it for a few more years, he didn't care much. He took a damn door off of it that was dented and that was it. I asked why did you take the door off? He said, cuz it was dented, and I was gonna see if I could have a good door off one of your trucks. LMAO, NOT !!! Sorry son, that door is repairable. So do you think he put it back on?? Hell NO. I did so the truck wouldn't be getting rained in and the dogs using it for a dog house. LMAO

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Man, put the door back on and throw the dogs out! reclaim it for yourself.

the exhaust is back on, Im pretty sure its leaking. It sounds a little more like a truck now and surprisingly it is not making that annoying clicking noise associated with leaking manifolds. I also cut the tail pipes of right after the muffler, I need to get it sealed before I poison myself this winter.

Its running though, transmission feels good. I scared the **** out of myself when I first started it, It was making a bad knocking sound like a rod knock, but it sounded like it was coming from the clutch area. Immediatly I thought I might have bent one of those clutch fingers trying to stab the trans . Turns out when I was jacking up the truck I forgot to jack up the engine also, the distributor cap hit the firewall and knocked it out of place a little bit, the rotor was hitting the inside it the cap and it sounded exactly like rod knock.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Man, put the door back on and throw the dogs out! reclaim it for yourself.

the exhaust is back on, Im pretty sure its leaking. It sounds a little more like a truck now and surprisingly it is not making that annoying clicking noise associated with leaking manifolds. I also cut the tail pipes of right after the muffler, I need to get it sealed before I poison myself this winter.

Its running though, transmission feels good. I scared the **** out of myself when I first started it, It was making a bad knocking sound like a rod knock, but it sounded like it was coming from the clutch area. Immediatly I thought I might have bent one of those clutch fingers trying to stab the trans . Turns out when I was jacking up the truck I forgot to jack up the engine also, the distributor cap hit the firewall and knocked it out of place a little bit, the rotor was hitting the inside it the cap and it sounded exactly like rod knock.

Oh yeah, I did. I put the door back on myself about 2 days later.

Uhh yeah, dizzy caps, or dizzies themselves aren't really strong enough to support the engine. I am suprised it even started with the cap popped off like that. I'd get that exhaust straightened out for sure ASAP.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
My 305 is hardcore, It will even run on 5 cylinders.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My 305 is hardcore, It will even run on 5 cylinders.
hahaha, Sure it will run, but I am sure you aware, Those WeeOhFives need all the cylinders firing, just to get over a speed bump. You know I always hated WeeOhFives from way back in the late 70's. I bought an 82 one time with a WeeOhFive in it from a guy who was selling it for his mother that it was his dads truck who had recently passed away. Even with a miss that truck ran good, and I thought dang, I have always hated 305's, but this isn't so bad. Looking thru the glove box, I found receipts for repairs made to the truck. Low and behold, 3 years prior the guy had motor put in the truck which the son told me, he had a new motor put in it. What the son didn't know, it was a 350, not a WeeOhFive. So I scored and went back to hating 305's. The miss later on got more prodominate. Come to find out, and I think I have posted pic here of it, the heads on the 350 motor were older leaded gas heads and the valves had been recessing. Put a new set of reman heads on that 350 and the thing purred and ran perfect til I sold it to a friend and they drove it for years until the sold it buy something better on gas. What kind of mpg do you get with our WeeOhFive? I have one I think I can get runnning and if its any kind of decent mpg, I'd suffer the power loss for some mpg.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I do remember you explaining about the valves and the pictures of those heads. Im actually getting good mileage out of my truck. I still need to to an exact calculation by running out of an exact amount and figuring out how many miles it took but since I got here i've driven the truck around alot and its still got a full tank. I would be willing to say since I messed with my metering rods the thing is getting 20 mpg short shifting every where I go.

As far as power... It has plenty for me, not for towing. In all fairness I pulled alot of weight up some steep grades moving here last summer and yea it was slow but it did pull it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I do remember you explaining about the valves and the pictures of those heads. Im actually getting good mileage out of my truck. I still need to to an exact calculation by running out of an exact amount and figuring out how many miles it took but since I got here i've driven the truck around alot and its still got a full tank. I would be willing to say since I messed with my metering rods the thing is getting 20 mpg short shifting every where I go.

As far as power... It has plenty for me, not for towing. In all fairness I pulled alot of weight up some steep grades moving here last summer and yea it was slow but it did pull it.

NO, I got the 454 truck and my 460 Box Van for towing houses uphill sideways if I want at 90mph for towing, but those trucks only get about 8-9mpg, and 454 truck will get 13 hwy empty which is good for a 3/4 ton. It just has those tall 3.21 gears. I have another 3/4 with 4.10's that I am thinking of putting the weeohfive in and it would be just a grocery gitter and around town truck, so I don't need power, and 4.10's would help in the power area along with city mpg. If I could get 13-14 city, I'd be happy with that. I just don't want another vehicle payment so I'd rather try to get it done with one of the several trucks I have.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I think this transmission I just put in is bad too. It making more noise than you would think is normal. It shifts fine does not feel like it has any slack while you drive. Are they all kinda noisy?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think this transmission I just put in is bad too. It making more noise than you would think is normal. It shifts fine does not feel like it has any slack while you drive. Are they all kinda noisy?
Yeah, they are a bit noisy by nature, but not to bad. I was going to suggest it, wheh you said you repacked the TO bearing, but its probably your TO bearing making the nosie. Prolly shoulda replaced it, then you'd know for sure. Again, if the noisy quiets down in 4th gear, or actually 3rd if you consider 1st Low, then its the input shaft bearing making noise and it can go for quite awhile in MOST cases with that noise. Of course this noise that is normal would be more like whining noise, not a grinding noise.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Something told me I should have just got one while I could replace it easy. Thats a very good explanation of the noise, maybe I will hit that grease Zerk for the clutch fork really good and see what happens. Either way this transmission will run to failure.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Something told me I should have just got one while I could replace it easy. Thats a very good explanation of the noise, maybe I will hit that grease Zerk for the clutch fork really good and see what happens. Either way this transmission will run to failure.
If I am not mistaken, the zerk on the clutch fork is just for the pivot ball, so not likley to change a thing unless you have a squeaky clutch pedal that is coming from outside the truck. And really, I have seen noisy TO and Input shaft bearings go for miles and miles and miles without incident. Just noisy is all. Not like its going to leave you stranded. Another thing I like about manual transmissions. Its fairly hard to be stranded even when one breaks or goes bad. It has to be a fairly catastrophic failure to leave you stuck. I drove one with a broken 2nd gear for about a year. It was just noisy in 2nd and I didn't stay in 2nd long, and usually just went to 3rd unless I was climbing a hill or something and needed 2nd. Same goes with clutches too. You usually get a fair warning when they start to feel like they are slipping a bit, if you baby them on their way out, you can get another 100 miles or so out of them. I've never been stranded with a manual trans. And been stranded twice with broken automatics. Racing breaks parts. That's part of the fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody