New/used transmission.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
For some reason I was thinking it would grease the sleeve that the throw out bearing rides on, your right though. Either way its going to have to work for now.

Now my next problem with the truck. I think I lost a wheel bearing in the front end. Ever since I did that brake job the thing has been making a chirping sound and it gets worse. Now there is ticking sounds and I suspect I have a bad wheel bearing. After this fix and fixing the horrible leak on my mechanical oil gauge im done working on this piece of **** for a while, my wife is so tired of buying parts.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
For some reason I was thinking it would grease the sleeve that the throw out bearing rides on, your right though. Either way its going to have to work for now.

Now my next problem with the truck. I think I lost a wheel bearing in the front end. Ever since I did that brake job the thing has been making a chirping sound and it gets worse. Now there is ticking sounds and I suspect I have a bad wheel bearing. After this fix and fixing the horrible leak on my mechanical oil gauge im done working on this piece of **** for a while, my wife is so tired of buying parts.
I sure understand that frustration. Seem you work and work and work on them, one thing after another. That's usually why when I get an old truck like this, I just put a plan together and do stuff in order of importance, till its all done. Sure its nickel and diming you right now, but still add up what you put into it this month and I bet its still nowhere near a $500 truck payemnt plus $200 for full coverave insurance. And once you get the stuff done right, you don't have to do it again for quite some time. One reason I love these trucks, parts are so dang cheap and plentiful, so interchangeable its just ridiuclous. I might even spend another $100 on gas driving one of these, but still I don't have that $700 obligation of truck payment and full coverage insurance. Yeah, take a weekend break from it if you have other transportation and regain your patience about it. You just went thru hell and back over the wrong trans BS so you're already ran thin on the patience. And remember the trans job wasn't the trucks fault. I think someone forgot to do a little maintenance and top off the fluid didn't they? Not a bad idea to do once a year or so with a manual. Especially when it takes the $5 a quart gear oil instead of the $40 a quart stuff that a new truck would take. Just saying, take a chill pill and get after it the next weekend. You're lucky, you don't have rush to beat the colder weather on the way like I do, and it really doens't that cold here, but cold enough I don't like working on the vehicles, so I get all I can done in the Fall for Winter Prep with nice weather, then in Spring get prepped for Summer heat in nice weather. Just gotta plan your maintenance and all will be fine. Don't give up on it.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
There's no way in hell Im getting rid of this thing, im so invested in it at this point I would take a hell of a loss haha. I completely agree on the value of these trucks, I really do enjoy wrenching on it.

New wheel bearings for one side is about 30 for everything plus the seal, I was going to pull the hub off today and check it out but my ice cold beer kept me planted on the couch.

Im wondering If i screwed up the preload I put on my drivers side bearing and wore out the bearing. I think that would cause enough play for the rotor to hit something metal. Pulling it apart will tell for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody