New Process A833 4speed w/ OD MY6 MM7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah someone either ran too short of bolts, over-tightened them, or ran it loose after a clutch job. Should not be that bad of a fix though, 1 of the 3 are good, the others are needing some love!

I'm telling you, some people should not be allowed to touch tools. Give them a brick to hammer small nails to hang pictures in their house and call it good. That means lock up all the butter knives too.

rct1969

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm telling you, some people should not be allowed to touch tools. Give them a brick to hammer small nails to hang pictures in their house and call it good. That means lock up all the butter knives too.

Yeah for sure. Dont get me started on that subject... Thats also why I am replacing a 6.2L block...someone that should not be allowed bricks either!

Are the shifters user serviceable or should I up the dough and send it to hurst?
I have not looked at it too much, but it looked fairly dooable. I figured I will go through it all before I bolt in place. I also figured I would at least dismantle it and clean it because I had to pressure wash the heck out of the tranny so I could actually see the case.

Anybody have this book? What do you think of it? How to Rebuild and Modify High-Performance Manual Transmissions http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Modif...TF8&colid=1FH05HPZ1JLTA&coliid=I106TS4NBO717H

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, if I remember when I get caught up on subscribed threads, I'll see if I can didg it out, but there is a link for a rebuild kit for the shifter. It's about $100. I had also found a video on it being done at one time. It's fairly easy. The shifter is very much like a Competition Plus. 2 differences are, the Comp Plus has 2 adjustable stops, going forward like into 1 an 3rd, and another adjustable stop going into like 2 and 4th. This shifter doesn't have those but easily added as far as I'm concened, by drilling a hole, tap it, then use a bolt and jamb nut. Other difference is the shift stick is bolt in on the Comp Plus, these sticks are in with what looks like roll pins. Also seems to be easy enough to convert. If you have to send it to Hurst, then it's like $300 plus shipping and it comes back like brand new. However, IMO, if I was going to do that, I'd just buy me a new Hurst Comp Plus shifter for a Mopar and it should bolt right on and away you go.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This is an interesting thread/debate on fill oil for this tranny.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=548664

Seems ATF wins that debate. I'll run ATF and some Lucas oil stabilizer. The old early Dodge transmissions are not OD, the later ones are like in late 80's Dodge trucks. OD gear seems to usually be higher in the case, and sometimes is not submerged in the oil, so if it's not got some kind of oil that will climb the gear, then it can potentially be running dry and cause problems.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Lucas is some good stuff, I been running it in my last two trucks since new.

When I bought my first truck(85 KW) I bought it from a farmer, he changed all the fluids in the rears and tranny with 90 weight oil. Little did I know at the time that was bad but 3 yrs later had massive tranny(15over) failure. Modern trannys run syn 50 and rears run syn 85.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Note, Keith Seymores owners manual states Dexron II ATF.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FactoryLIt3_zps9da55256.jpg
    FactoryLIt3_zps9da55256.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 311

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, that's what I'll use and Lucas additive since it's an OD trans. I'd have to look at the trans to make sure that is true, but regardless, the Lucas isn't going to hurt.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Seems ATF wins that debate. I'll run ATF and some Lucas oil stabilizer. The old early Dodge transmissions are not OD, the later ones are like in late 80's Dodge trucks. OD gear seems to usually be higher in the case, and sometimes is not submerged in the oil, so if it's not got some kind of oil that will climb the gear, then it can potentially be running dry and cause problems.

Are you talking about the A833 in those old Dodges? I had a late 70's truck with that trans and it had OD, factory. Where you get that info?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Are you talking about the A833 in those old Dodges? I had a late 70's truck with that trans and it had OD, factory. Where you get that info?

I"m talking about the 60's cars, the Pre OD Dodges, not the OD Dodges. What fluid did your Dodge require? GM Manual says Dextron 2 ATF.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I"m talking about the 60's cars, the Pre OD Dodges, not the OD Dodges. What fluid did your Dodge require? GM Manual says Dextron 2 ATF.

I never got that far with it, just ran the **** out of it. :D

BillyP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
Ok haven't touched mine in a couple of weeks, but here is a twist I wasn't expecting. The old cab on the truck has the large hump, and it isn't removable. It has the indention for the granny gear 4 speed so I'm now trying to figure out what I need to do to rePlace the cab now.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ok haven't touched mine in a couple of weeks, but here is a twist I wasn't expecting. The old cab on the truck has the large hump, and it isn't removable. It has the indention for the granny gear 4 speed so I'm now trying to figure out what I need to do to rePlace the cab now.

Now yours is 2wd correct? do you really need the high hump for the A833? I think if so, then it would be to make room for the shifter. I'm sure GM just put a manual trans hump in the A833 trucks cuz it was a manual trans truck. The A833 looks pretty small, I'd think it will clear just fine in a 2wd. Not a 4x4 though cuz you still have the Tcase to deal with. 4x4's and SM465 trucks got the high humps, Auto 2wd got the low humps.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
My 2WD Dodge D-100 with that trans had a high hump, I remember it like yesterday. It looked to me it was because of the shifter assembly. I remember putting a new JCW carpet in and new shift boot and looking in there at the shift assembly. Had that whole, this is my first truck, 16 yr old, little woody, butterfly feeling fixin up my first ride, lol! Red fuggin carpet with a green dash, oh lawd.... :roflbow:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My 2WD Dodge D-100 with that trans had a high hump, I remember it like yesterday. It looked to me it was because of the shifter assembly. I remember putting a new JCW carpet in and new shift boot and looking in there at the shift assembly. Had that whole, this is my first truck, 16 yr old, little woody, butterfly feeling fixin up my first ride, lol! Red fuggin carpet with a green dash, oh lawd.... :roflbow:

:bowroflwerd6: NO doubt, Ohhhhhhh Lawd !!! First off, it was a Dodge, 2nd that color combo. :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78