New Process A833 4speed w/ OD MY6 MM7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You know the base housing of the shifter linkage still stuck up past the floor even with the high hump. I had a hard time getting an aftermarket boot to fit it right.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Now yours is 2wd correct? do you really need the high hump for the A833? I think if so, then it would be to make room for the shifter. I'm sure GM just put a manual trans hump in the A833 trucks cuz it was a manual trans truck. The A833 looks pretty small, I'd think it will clear just fine in a 2wd. Not a 4x4 though cuz you still have the Tcase to deal with. 4x4's and SM465 trucks got the high humps, Auto 2wd got the low humps.

From what I've seen, 4x4's and ANY floor shifted 2wd got a taller hump. Not necessarily the same tall hump, just taller than 2wd autos and 2wd 3-on-tree.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm not anticipating any problems with mine since it's going into a FoBuhFo cab with the high hump.

BillyP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
Now yours is 2wd correct? do you really need the high hump for the A833? I think if so, then it would be to make room for the shifter. I'm sure GM just put a manual trans hump in the A833 trucks cuz it was a manual trans truck. The A833 looks pretty small, I'd think it will clear just fine in a 2wd. Not a 4x4 though cuz you still have the Tcase to deal with. 4x4's and SM465 trucks got the high humps, Auto 2wd got the low humps.

It is 2wd, I had never seen one without the removable hump (unless that was the top loader only deal) I'm looking at an '86 3/4 ton cab at our local Pull-a-part to use instead, plus it was a 6.2 as well. If not, I'll go with a 4x4 cab and weld up where the 4x4 shifter goes and call it good.

I ended up putting my foot through the floor of the cab I had to replace my crushed one with and after weighing the pricing, the cost of the floor pans, cab corners is 50 bucks cheaper than just getting another cab at Pull-a-part.

$150.63 plus tax right now for a cab without doors.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ahhh Hellll !!! I'm with you there buddy. No doubt that's a no brainer. Even if it was $50 more, think of the work you'd save and not have to deal with fitament issues. I'd for sure just get the cab. Can you just transfer the VIN plates in your state? Done carefully, you can use the same rivets and plates. Just have to open the holes up a little bit. Then use some tough glue on the back side of the OE rivets when you put it on the new cab. I mean, you're keeping the same frame and all I'd think you should be able to.

zieg85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
7.4L
Has anyone replace a factory boot for the 2 wheel drive version? I have not been able to find a replacement

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Has anyone replace a factory boot for the 2 wheel drive version? I have not been able to find a replacement

I've heard it's next to impossible to find them for either 2 or 4wd, and even worse, the bezel around the 2 shifters in the 4wd. I intend to use an aftermarket Hurst boot since it's a Hurst shifter.

BillyP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
Well, I found a place that sells he rosette rivets online, like 40 bucks a pair so that's not so bad. I'm heading up there in a bit to check the cabs out and go from there. I'll take some up close pics of the linkage for you as well HotRod so you can have a guide for it.

Oh yeah, I also noticed another switch on the tranny that wasn't hooked up to anything at all I'll snap a pic of it as well and show you.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well, I found a place that sells he rosette rivets online, like 40 bucks a pair so that's not so bad. I'm heading up there in a bit to check the cabs out and go from there. I'll take some up close pics of the linkage for you as well HotRod so you can have a guide for it.

Oh yeah, I also noticed another switch on the tranny that wasn't hooked up to anything at all I'll snap a pic of it as well and show you.

Awesome. Seems steep for rivets, but if you gotta haven'em...

Yeah a pic would be coo. No hurry.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
What's special about rosette rivets? They hold better?

Just to throw in my .02 on the shift boot, the factory one I had was an oval base.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What's special about rosette rivets? They hold better?

Just to throw in my .02 on the shift boot, the factory one I had was an oval base.

No they don't hold better, but they are what was used to mount OEM VIN tags. If you use standard round rivets it's obvious there was some VIN switching going on. Rosette is OE and correct rivets to attatch the VIN plate for a cab swap and not have to **** to deal with when a LEO checks it out.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Gotchya.

BillyP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
Well, an update that should also be under any body type of thread. The hump is in now that I picked up the cab a couple of weeks ago.

Before:
86 C10 2wd 305/700r4 Cab

You must be registered for see images attach

After:
Hump Cut Out from 85 C10 6.2 Diesel/Manual Trans A833 and welded in.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You did good work there. :waytogo:

Looks like it was a perfect fit. So this hump was cut out of an 85 C10 6.2 Diesel/A833 Cab, and put into a ???? What cab???

BillyP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
Was put into an '86 Silverado cab that had a 305/700R4 in it. I also have the hole cut for the master cylinder, the firewall had dimples where it was supposed to go, grabbed my 1/4" holesaw and made the hole, the dimples were also there for where the pedal bolts came through to mount the master cylinder to, also had the dimples for where my fuel filter attaches to the firewall as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL