New Problem, HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ok, so earlier today, I started the truck to go grab some food. No issues.

A few minutes ago, I went out to start it and it fired up fine for about 15 seconds than died. I cannot get it to fire up again. Nothing has changed. The truck is low on gas, but not out. I can still hear the fuel pump winding down after I quit cranking. I have even tried starting fluid and it won't catch. Battery is getting low and I don't have anyone nearby to help me jump once it goes dead.

Any ideas???

HELP!

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Get a jump

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Hold the throttle to the floor while cranking

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Hold the throttle to the floor while cranking

Is that valid for a throttle body? I did pump the pedal a bit earlier. Never needed to do that before.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I'm in a bad spot for working on my truck. I live at an apartment complex; plus, it's freaking cold outside.

What are the chances the ignition module/coil died? I don't have any way of checking for spark at the moment.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Oh didn't look at the year sorry no that wont work for tbi

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Weak electrical won't help it. Can you plug in a block heater?

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
pull a plug wire and crank engine to see if it is sparking. You can put a screwdriver in the plug wire socket and have it close to a ground. Keep your hand clear or your can feel what the voltage feels like and that's no fun. If no spark, then You may have a dead module. You can pull it and get it checked at some auto parts stores free.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
pull a plug wire and crank engine to see if it is sparking. You can put a screwdriver in the plug wire socket and have it close to a ground. Keep your hand clear or your can feel what the voltage feels like and that's no fun. If no spark, then You may have a dead module. You can pull it and get it checked at some auto parts stores free.

I didn't check, but didn't think I needed to since the motor wasn't catching using starting fluid. I did pull the module and had it tested and it was good. Bought a new one anyways and ended up splitting the rotor. So, I gotta get a new rotor tomorrow.

If the the results are the same, should I try replacing the coil next? Guy at autozone suggested checking the fuseable links; but I would think if one of them was blown, I wouldn't have any power at all, right?

Anyways, this will continue tomorrow.

Thanks!

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Pumping the pedal on anything other than a carb'd motor can lead to massive flooding. Best way to clear it out is hold your foot to the floor and try cranking. If the vehicle still doesn't start then you need to start looking at what is causing a no start issue.

My 94 Chevy when I had it did the exact same thing. I was able to drive around with no issues then one day I was out driving and came home and when I tried to start it the next day it simply would not go.

After much trial and error I discovered the coil went and when I replaced that all was good.

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Yea, get you a test light to see if you have power to the distributor.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I went ahead and replaced both ign. control mod. and the coil and it still wont fire. I also noticed the TBI isn't dumping any fuel. I've tried pouring small cap-fulls of gas down the the TBI and the motor won't fire.

Is there anything in the steering column that would prevent the ign. system from firing? I did replace the hi/low headlight switch last weekend. Truck had been running good up till yesterday when it ran for ~30 seconds then suddenly quit.

I don't know what to do now.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I went ahead and replaced both ign. control mod. and the coil and it still wont fire. I also noticed the TBI isn't dumping any fuel. I've tried pouring small cap-fulls of gas down the the TBI and the motor won't fire.

Is there anything in the steering column that would prevent the ign. system from firing? I did replace the hi/low headlight switch last weekend. Truck had been running good up till yesterday when it ran for ~30 seconds then suddenly quit.

I don't know what to do now.

When you pulled the cap, was there rusty metal bits laying in there? If the pickup coil failed (usually shatters) then you won't get fuel or spark.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody