Need advise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi guys the block I'm about to purchase for $400 has bern fully machined .030 and is fully ready to assemble. Its line bored, decked new cam bearings, frost plugs, and align honed. Also has been torque plate honned. The only weird issue is somebody has tapped 2 5/16 holes just below the oil rail for a dipstick relocation. This concerns me a bit. I was thinking of drilling them out and plugging them with a 1/8 pipe plug? Do you guys think this will be ok? Or should I pass. I don't think it's too big a deal but I value your experience. The photo shows the two holes. Any advise would be appreciated. Other than that it seems like a really good deal. Im in Canada so things are more expensive. Also i forgot to say its a SBC 400. My last block didn't clean up and im at my witts end.

You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’d like @Rusty Nail ‘s input on this as a former 400 SBC owner/operator.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Do the holes even go all the way through? I see a notch in the pan rail, like those were just mounting holes for the dipstick tabs.

If they do go all the way through, just run short bolts in with some thread sealer. It's really no different than the bolt hole for the fuel pump rod.

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes they do go all the way thru. So do you think this won't cause any issues? Just plug them up and don't worry.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes they do go all the way thru. So do you think this won't cause any issues? Just plug them up and don't worry.

That's what I'd do. With no intent to ever use those holes, I'd probably use JB Weld as a thread sealer.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd try to find those allen head small plug screws and jb weld them in for a permanent fix. Not being sure if they'd enter into a water jacket or not and restrict flow at all. 400's need all the help they can get cooling.

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks guys im going to go ahead and buy it. I'm having a hard time we these 400's but I made up my mind to build one and I am going to get it done.

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'll check and see if its in a water jacket. If it is I'll pipe plug it with a shallow thread if not I'll do the JB weld. Does that sound like a plan?

WarlVlachine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'll check and see if its in a water jacket. If it is I'll pipe plug it with a shallow thread if not I'll do the JB weld. Does that sound like a plan?

You’re definitely on the right track. Hopefully they aren’t tapped to some off the wall pitch. Or tapped poorly, you said it looked clean though. That’s a sign of decent work. Best of luck.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

If it goes into the water jacket AND the crank case, it would need plugged on both sides.

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This is a text I received from the gentleman selling the block.

If the deck of the block was straight and not rusty I normally would not resurface. For example... The last 3 sets of heads I had done, 2 sets were resurfaced the 3 rd set was not. The block you are interested in came to me as a BLOCK ONLY. I did not know the history of it, and did not get the opportunity to see the crank, pistons, etc so had no way of knowing if it was any good. I can get a pretty good read on stuff if I am the guy disassembling it. I thought I better send this one in and have it checked, And it passed withe flying colors. Pressure tested bothe sides oil and water jackets.

Judging by this message I'm assuming its safe to say its not into the water jacket. Do you think its its okay that the deck was not resurfaced? Here's the deck pictures.

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I bought the block! Hoping all is good with it when it arrives. Any opinions on using the stock 5.565 rods? I've heard that a 5.7 is better but this is a low rpm build.

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Also it turns out the holes are not right thru. They just go into the water jacket. So I guess plugging them won't be such a big deal after all.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dude.
All that jazz in the first post is WIN CITY.
Later you stated that it was what you want to do and that's what's going to happen, which I support 100%.
For that price? A steal!
I would do it not even knowing the casting number...it doesn't matter. Those holes aren't gonna bother anyone and it sounds right as rain.
I would NOT seal them permanently though...what happens when you figure out what they are for?
Haha!
It's a small block Chevy dude, put it together and run it!

Thanks 87.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CTGAP