Engine lunched itself...need advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Hello, everyone. Sorry I have not checked in in a while.
Thank you to everyone that has responded.
I have not even touched the truck since I wrote that message, have way to much on my plate right now. That was just one more crappy thing that happened that week.
I asked around a few people I know, and they had the same thought I did, and a few of you said the same thing. Everyone seems to think it ate a rod bearing.
Next week or 2 I should be able to start working on it, so we'll see.
As far as "needing" the truck, it was my daily in that i drove it to work everyday, but I have a Yukon that I can use right now.
I have 2 other trucks that are way closer to running and driving, (one needs seats, and the other needs a fuel line and taillights), so I'm most likely going to get those going first so I can have a "truck" again, and check 2 projects off the list before I touch the 305.
Everyone I know says the same thing about 305s, "they're crap, don't rebuild it".
That engine had always been good to me, ran good, plenty of power, until the other day. I guess I'm suffering it's wrath now.
I dont know if it's just a one in a million chance, or maybe that's one of its weak points.
It seems like what value it gains from being a "numbers matching", it looses from being a 305.
A 350 long block would be the best value, and probaly the most reliable thing I could do, and I might do that of my engine is garb, but I'm looking for a cheaper option right now.
If I didn't mar the crank, or damage anything else, could I get away with just doing bearings and rings, and throwing it back together?
Or would it just being wasting my time, and will it just blow up again?

If I could get away with 2-300 bucks and a weekend, I'd be super happy. But if you guys all say that's a bad idea, or if its completely wrecked, then I'm not getting it machined, and I'll just get a 350 and be done with it. What do you think?
Even if it is just rod bearings, I would be concerned about the debris that may be floating around the engine. Also, I would be surprised if the crank journal wasn't scored. I could see rod bearing replacement as a band-aid, but, I wouldn't expect longevity.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Even if it is just rod bearings, I would be concerned about the debris that may be floating around the engine. Also, I would be surprised if the crank journal wasn't scored. I could see rod bearing replacement as a band-aid, but, I wouldn't expect longevity.
It was a rod bearing. Couldn't have even put a band aid on it, haha.
Sorry I havent updated this thread. Posted a pic of the 'what have you done to your square' thread, but that's it.

Finally got the engine pulled out and torn apart.
It ate threw the number one and number 2 rod bearing. Totally ruined my crank, connecting rods are junk, all egg shaped. What's left of the bearing was just flakes in the bottom. Only ran it for a couple seconds after it made the noise, but I guess that was enough.
The other 6 rod bearings weren't destroyed like those 2, but they were pretty heat scorched. Crank bearings weren't exactly beautiful either.
I could've sent the block out to het machines, and bought a whole master rebuild set with crank induced, or had mine machined to fit oversized bearings, but it just wasnt worth it to me.
Ended up just covering it with a trash bag and park it in the corner of my shop.
Just bought a brand new crate 350 long block threw O'Reillys. Ended up being cheaper than what I was gonna end up having to do, and I get a new reliable 350 with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. Oh well cwap happens.
You must be registered for see images attach

That's what my pan looked like.

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
It was a rod bearing. Couldn't have even put a band aid on it, haha.
Sorry I havent updated this thread. Posted a pic of the 'what have you done to your square' thread, but that's it.

Finally got the engine pulled out and torn apart.
It ate threw the number one and number 2 rod bearing. Totally ruined my crank, connecting rods are junk, all egg shaped. What's left of the bearing was just flakes in the bottom. Only ran it for a couple seconds after it made the noise, but I guess that was enough.
The other 6 rod bearings weren't destroyed like those 2, but they were pretty heat scorched. Crank bearings weren't exactly beautiful either.
I could've sent the block out to het machines, and bought a whole master rebuild set with crank induced, or had mine machined to fit oversized bearings, but it just wasnt worth it to me.
Ended up just covering it with a trash bag and park it in the corner of my shop.
Just bought a brand new crate 350 long block threw O'Reillys. Ended up being cheaper than what I was gonna end up having to do, and I get a new reliable 350 with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. Oh well cwap happens.
You must be registered for see images attach

That's what my pan looked like.
Wow, that's a shame, however, the good news is you have a running truck with a new engine. Hopefully you won't get any more unpleasant surprises.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uberbeans