My opinion, our fuel tanks rust from the outside because of the plastic cover...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roguewave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bobert
Truck Year
Truck Model
4X4
Engine Size
I’ve seen many of the tanks on my trucks rust from the outside because of the plastic shield that covers the bottom and sides of the tank. It traps all kinds of crap (leaves, mud, water) in there and it stays there. The moisture it traps ruins the tanks.

I’m sure y’all know this already but thought I’d say something, it’s just my opinion.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
It’s my opinion as well.

A lot of the things auto manufacturers do today to keep the ride quiet has a huge negative affect on corrosion. The sound deadener injected into the cab corners and rockers are a big sponge, once they get wet they never dry out.

Unfortunately that’s a fact of life. I wonder how well these trucks would have held up if someone took them apart, spray lots of rust proofing and corrosion prevention inside the panels and making sure all the drain holes are clear. I’m sure very few people ever thought of it

I got T boned in my Ram a couple years ago. The body shop had to replace the passenger side bedside. Since I had tiny pinholes bubbling in the bedside over the wheels on both side, I paid the body shop to install a replacement patch panel on the drivers side. Once the bed was cut up, those tiny pinholes that were visible on the outside were massive chunks of rust on the inside.

I had the body shop remove the sound deadener from the bed and rockers and coat the inside with 3M rust preventive spray. I haven’t noticed any more road noise than before.

While I enjoy the snow and snow activities, I envy those of you who live in dry rust free climates. Pretty depressing when a Arizona parts car is in better shape than what we try and fix here in Indiana!

dusterdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc c15
Engine Size
Its a fact,just had my left side tank patched on the bottom

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Rust? What's rust? Arizona baby!!!:favorites37:
Iron oxide, a corrosion that we call rust that uses iron, water, and oxygen. all three must be present for the reaction to occur. Arizona is very very dry, thus water is not just all-time present. Roads also dont need salting or sanding which cling to cars and help the reaction in us northern states.

I know you were just flexing, but here is your overly explained reply to your joke commment hahahahahahaa.....

Hi there.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Since it is what it is, how about a little preventive maintenance? Once a year I remove those aforementioned tank shields and make sure there is nothing in there that might cause problems, It's only a few bolts and it can be removed easily without screwing with the tank, on my truck anyway. Problem solved. Doesn,t take long and its much easier and cheaper than replacing or repairing a tank! JM2:cheers:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Odly enough my passenger side tank never rotted out under the shield. It rotted out on the opposite end of the tank. Weird

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
True story.
My rust free truck, save for A pillars compliments of the aftermarket visor that was on it for....ever, just replaced 1 tank.
Front was rusted out on the bottom due to years of mud packed between plastic guard and tank.
The other side was clean and zero rust.

Paladin hit it on the head. If you go in the mud, clean em out.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
Previous owner of my truck had a leaking heater core.It was still wet when I ripped out the cab floor insulation and vinyl on passenger side.I also live in the dry desert.Unfortunately a rust free truck except for that.Heater cores are a pain on these trucks.

My grand dad’s pickup and anything else driven to the potash mines in the area for work,rusts extremely bad.Salt content on those roads and areas are way high.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
Oh,and I hate mud.It reminds me of power drinking and those bad hangovers.

It’s never worth it the next day no matter how much fun you had.Jmo

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
True story.
My rust free truck, save for A pillars compliments of the aftermarket visor that was on it for....ever, just replaced 1 tank.
Front was rusted out on the bottom due to years of mud packed between plastic guard and tank.
The other side was clean and zero rust.

Paladin hit it on the head. If you go in the mud, clean em out.
Exactly.
My 87 R10 zero rust anywhere, tanks are great, has a plastic shield on each one.
My 82 k5 has a skid plate and mud caused a few small pin holes. Not an issue since I was changing for a LS swap.
Same thing on my k10. PO must have lived in mud. Can't tell you how many times I had to power washed to remove mud/dirt. I know this is why the tanks are shot. They have the metal shield which I think makes the problem worse than plastic ones.

BigDaddy72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Chassis Cab
Engine Size
Not that anyone has asked but I have a 20 gal tank with sending unit that’s in excellent shape 2-3 years old.

Free. Local pick up only.

Bentonville Arkansas

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was debating even putting the guards back on. But honestly, it's a non issue unless one doesn't realize they packed em full of mud or doesn't care.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I just replaced my tank Not sure if was original since 81 but i coated the tank and straps and think i will let it "air dry" and not put plastic shield back on. Rust made my truck probably 100s of pounds lighter than original

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I was debating even putting the guards back on. But honestly, it's a non issue unless one doesn't realize they packed em full of mud or doesn't care.
I saw someone in another thread mention either adjusting them to have a slight downward angle or putting a few holes in them as drainage, but as you say cleaning your vehicle or just showing any care to it would probably fix that problem

Id think the only road debris i would ever worry about is a 4wd that the front wheel might kick something and shoot it back at high velocity, but then that would go for rear wheels on the backside

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78