My Mean 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
the advertised duration is 302 duration at .050 is 246 and the valve lift at .050 is .50" lift not that low for a flat tappet cam i know there is bigger but wouldnt waist the money on any bigger id go roller if i went any bigger

So what you're saying, is .500 lift? Most cams are given lift specs in .000. I didn't think it was that high because I used to run a 305 duration, .510 cam and when I first built that motor, the OEM valve covers were just sitting on the heads with 2 bolts started to keep oil from running everywhere when I primed it, then when I started it up, I got dents in the valve covers from the lift being to high for OEM covers and had to drop everything and go buy tall covers before I could continue working on it.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
So what you're saying, is .500 lift? Most cams are given lift specs in .000. I didn't think it was that high because I used to run a 305 duration, .510 cam and when I first built that motor, the OEM valve covers were just sitting on the heads with 2 bolts started to keep oil from running everywhere when I primed it, then when I started it up, I got dents in the valve covers from the lift being to high for OEM covers and had to drop everything and go buy tall covers before I could continue working on it.

what kinda rockers did you use? idk about that buddy i couldnt tell you i know what i bought and i know what the specs are on a 302 Crane Enerigizer Cam are so as far as the rockers hitting the valve cover they dont and havent. so i cant really explain that to ya maybe i just got lucky hell if i know.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
IIRC, that motor was using OEM rockers. I might have had the 1:6 to 1 rockers by then, not positive, but seems to me it was still the OEM at that point.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
in some cases to cheat and look stock you can run some thick gaskets and get just enough clearance to give a stock look without tall covers. I personally love the tall covers anyways so I run em just for the heck of it.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
in some cases to cheat and look stock you can run some thick gaskets and get just enough clearance to give a stock look without tall covers. I personally love the tall covers anyways so I run em just for the heck of it.

well there is whats up i have a moroso thick rubber steel core valve cover gaskets

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
well there is whats up i have a moroso thick rubber steel core valve cover gaskets

302 duration? That must suck for low end torque....not a truck anymore!

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
302 duration? That must suck for low end torque....not a truck anymore!

Honestly the low end is still very good and she still has very very quick response and quick rev. but lightweight internals do that for you haha

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Honestly the low end is still very good and she still has very very quick response and quick rev. but lightweight internals do that for you haha

Didnt you say you have a 2500 stall converter?............................

Haha?

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
Didnt you say you have a 2500 stall converter?............................

Haha?

i do now not then i didnt. the cam wasnt big enough. with the cam thats in it now i have a Boss Hog Outlaw Converter advertised 2800 stall which is a hair too much im thinking about dropping down to an 2400 stall

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
i do now not then i didnt. the cam wasnt big enough. with the cam thats in it now i have a Boss Hog Outlaw Converter advertised 2800 stall which is a hair too much im thinking about dropping down to an 2400 stall

honestly i just go by what the Camshaft Manufacture recommended to go with, because im not that experienced in using stall converters so advice and recs on what i need to use im always open to, i dont think im too smart or know it all because i have so much to learn thats the main reason i joined to put what i have on here and see if im doing anything wrong or see if i need to improve something

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't get it. If you have to turn the AC off when you come to a stop so the engine doesn't die, it has no low end grunt.

Heavy truck, high-winding motor, 700r4, tall gears... glad you're driving it and not me.

You plan on running it down the track with the current combo?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
honestly i just go by what the Camshaft Manufacture recommended to go with, because im not that experienced in using stall converters so advice and recs on what i need to use im always open to, i dont think im too smart or know it all because i have so much to learn thats the main reason i joined to put what i have on here and see if im doing anything wrong or see if i need to improve something

One of the biggest things you need to remember, is bigger, is not always better....unless you are talking cubic inches.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
I don't get it. If you have to turn the AC off when you come to a stop so the engine doesn't die, it has no low end grunt.

Heavy truck, high-winding motor, 700r4, tall gears... glad you're driving it and not me.

You plan on running it down the track with the current combo?

not a 700R any more im putting a TH350 short shaft that has been rebuilt to with stand up to 550hp and that constant abuse and im also gonna do a ring and pinion swap to a 3.73 i dont want anything lower geared in this truck. ive run across a 1983 C10 SWB last night and the guy was wanting $2000 grand and it has a brand new 454 bored to a 488 very mild cam and a few other things, so i decided it was a good truck to stick my 383 in when i finished so i wrote the guy a check and im going to go get it this evening and see what the 488 is putting out and its also got a 12 bolt posi with 4.11 in the rear

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Pull that cam out and put somethin smaller in it. Youll be happy you did.

Just cause it sounds badass dont mean it wont run like a dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68