License plate lights don’t work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BGPick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 2WD
Engine Size
6.2L Detroit Diesel
Just bought the truck, and someone hacked up the rear wiring to install trailer plug/harness. All rear lights work just fine (brake/turn/reverse) except I have no license plate lights.

Does anyone know what wire from the front of the truck runs to those lights? Or can I just tap into in the rear of the truck somewhere for a new power source when the running lights are on.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
There should be a brown wire in the harness for them and your parking lights that you can splice into.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
If you don't want to splice the wires, you can buy one of these trailer wire "T"s. In the photo, I don't have the right side hook up since the bed was off.

You must be registered for see images attach

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Just bought the truck, and someone hacked up the rear wiring to install trailer plug/harness. All rear lights work just fine (brake/turn/reverse) except I have no license plate lights.

Does anyone know what wire from the front of the truck runs to those lights? Or can I just tap into in the rear of the truck somewhere for a new power source when the running lights are on.

The plate lights have just a single hot wire and are grounded through the body of the socket, then to the bumper. This is as opposed to the rest of the lamps in the rear lighting group, all of which have a ground wire in addition to their associated hot wires.

Before tearing into the harness. Check for power on the single button terminal in the plate light sockets. If you get voltage there, make sure that the mounting fasteners are tight and the surface under the flange is clean. And you did check the lamps- right?

BGPick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 2WD
Engine Size
6.2L Detroit Diesel
I was able to locate the "T" with both brown wires sticking out and snipped clean off!
Cut fresh tips and re-connected everything and bam! Thanks for the help guys!!

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Sweet...always glad to hear that a problem (especially electrical) has been solved !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx