Leaking Slip Yoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fleetwood

Reaction score
First Name
I
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello Guys! I have a slip yoke that is leaking out of that plug thing in between the ears. Is it alright to simply brake clean this and RTV it? What is the point of this plug if it is alright to RTV it or weld it?

Thanks

Fleetwood

Reaction score
First Name
I
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This is what I am talking about
You must be registered for see images attach

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
that is definatley a picular place for a leak to occur, I think RTV type sealant would fling off of there because of the RPM's it spins, maybe remove whole driveline and take it to a driveline shop and get a new one or weld it and rebalance it

saltdog

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
I tried that RTV approach and it worked for about a day. Ended up just replacing the yoke. They don't cost too much

Fleetwood

Reaction score
First Name
I
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
that is definatley a picular place for a leak to occur, I think RTV type sealant would fling off of there because of the RPM's it spins, maybe remove whole driveline and take it to a driveline shop and get a new one or weld it and rebalance it
Why were slip yokes made like this and not welded from the factory?

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I have no idea, I personally have never seen one leak like that, maybe it was replaced years ago with something of lower quality.

edit to include: maybe during the manufacturing process an error was made like to much material being removed and as a QC fix a plug was installed, thats all I can think of

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
There is a O-ring on the output shaft that is probably gotten hard from age. If you remove the extension housing it’s easy to replace. Most transmission shops will have a bunch of the prongs left over from rebuilds since they aren’t used in every application.

The slip yoke needs to be able to vent as it slides over the output shaft. There were a couple ways to accomplish this. Some output shafts have a missing spline, or some yokes have a spline missing, the empty space provides the vent. On applications with no splines missing, they have a vent hole in the yoke, and a seal to prevent fluid from leaking out the hole.

potent rodent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
butch
Truck Year
86 and 78
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 and 305
mine done the same thing on my 86 it would not leak until parked on an incline , ended up replacing yoke

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod