pinion yoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
ive watched many videos, ive found out i have alot of the tools. one particular video a man uses a straight edge and a digital vernier scale and finds center line of the axels, pinion gear from the face of the axel housing. assuming your old set up was good you just put every thing back to those same measurement. But I over torqued my crush ring so when i take mine apart im not shore if that method would work because I don’t know if my Pinon depth is currently right. I guess I can grease the gears and Check the pattern before I blew it apart.

Pattern gears and check backlash before you disassemble, if everything is in spec (or close to it) just put all the shims back where you found them and recheck after assembly.

Unless you are replacing the ring and pinion try to just keep everything the same.

Josh577

Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Pattern gears and check backlash before you disassemble, if everything is in spec (or close to it) just put all the shims back where you found them and recheck after assembly.

Unless you are replacing the ring and pinion try to just keep everything the same.
im keeping the same gears. thank you for the advise that is what ill do

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The shims are to compensate for housing differences,90 percent of the time even going back with a new ring and pinion you'll still use the same pinion shims,and in your case,nothing should change just doing bearings. @Josh577 when I worked at the dealer we were taught with all proprietary gm training, but you won't have any problems. Do yourself a favor go online and buy yourself a crushsleeve eliminator it will make your life easier. If you have trouble getting the carrier shims back in,post that your having troubles we'll get you through it.

Last edited:

Josh577

Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
The shims are to compensate for housing differences,90 percent of the time even going back with a new ring and pinion you'll still use the same pinion shims,and in your case,nothing should change just doing bearings. @Josh577 when I worked at the dealer we were taught with all proprietary gm training, but you won't have any problems. Do yourself a favor go online and buy yourself a crushsleeve eliminator it will make your life easier. If you have trouble getting the carrier shims back in,post that your having troubles we'll get you through it.
thank you

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef