jeep NV242 t-case on a K truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodolphe
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 10
Engine Size
does somebody allready put the famous jeep nv242 (2wd/all time 4x4/part time 4x4/ 4LO) on a K series truck behind an automatic trans.

when i'll buy mine i'd like to have an awd, but the pre 1980 are to old and not sure about the power can be accepted by this t-case, my best choice would be a 1987 full option with so a th700r4 but a 1986 would also be ok.

nv242 + th400 possible ?
nv242 + th700r4 possible ?

i mean an easy swap, not to have to change the axle or cut the frame :)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Isn't that case a driver's drop? The trouble with mixing brands is they usually have their own bolt pattern for the adapter. And if the bolt pattern is the same, you have to deal with different spline counts on the input shaft, as well as shaft length. Have you looked on the Advance Adapters website? If there's no kit listed for this swap, then it probably hasn't been done before.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Bucket is right. If no kit out there yet, then it hasn't been done, or not enough demand. Advance Adapters is likley the one to have the adapter you'd need, but you better get out your wallet, and your brothers wallet, and daddy's wallet, mama's purse and hope sis married a rich guy and get into her purse too. Advance adapters are fairly pricey IMO.

roadwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodolphe
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 10
Engine Size
there is also the input shaft lenght and count spline problem inside the jeep "world" between model.

i know there is also an heavy duty version of this t-case on H1 Hummer, perharps it is the way, if the adapters are too expensive.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
IMO there's nothing the NV242 can do that the NP205 can't do better. NV242 wont take much horsepower to break it either, even a 203 with a part time kit would be a better choice. Once you pay for either the t-case flip kit, or a driver's drop front axle, adapter kit and drivelines it still wont be half the t-case the 205 is.

roadwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodolphe
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 10
Engine Size
crazy4offroad it is probably my bad english (from France) but you didn't noticed i would like to have the full time 4wd feature, which is not on a NP205. install part time on a np203 is a shame for me, i am an A(ll)wd addict.

th nv242 is able to work on 2WD (cruising on a sunny highway), 4WD fulltime with central differential for rainy/snowy day, 4WD locked for mud trail, and 4 low if stucked somewhere or pulling something.

here is the shift pattern
You must be registered for see images

The nv242 accept the 190 hp of xj jeep, and sometimes is used to replace the nv249 in jeep ZJ 5.9 lx 245 hp without problem. :crazy:

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I never understood the attraction of fulltime 4wd in trucks like these. Running a part-time in 4wd when you need it is just as good.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I myself have never been a fan of AWD as we know it in America. AWD to me means you have 4 wheels with the CAPABILITY to have traction, when wheel slippage is sensed in the wheel sensors. I myself, prefer a 4wd vehicle with part time 4wd tcase, and locker or limited slip differentials, so I know I have 4 wheels driving when I need them them. I'm hpoing my trucks will have Detroit Lockers in the Rear, and Limited slip differential in the front.

roadwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodolphe
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 10
Engine Size
that ' s not the purpose of the topic to speak about the utility or not to have full time 4wd.

What i call full time 4wd is the central differential that give the torque to both axle all the time, not only when there is slippage of a wheel, just like jeep cherokee, grand cherokee, audi quattro longitudinal engine (torsen based system), and subaru impreza, outback.

i know why i want this, and won't try to make think it is better, everybody is free to enjoy his kind of transmission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Is the central diff an open type unit like a 203? If it's some type of limited slip, I can see the advantage.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but what I always heard was 203s and 205s are 60/40 diff, meaning 60% of torque to the rear, 40% to front. The one he wants I believe is 50/50 pretty much giving the same amount of torque to both ends all the time. I dont think it does that in fulltime 4wd but 4hi and 4lo would. Regardless it's a chain/aluminum t-case, and not made for much more than 250 HP.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but what I always heard was 203s and 205s are 60/40 diff, meaning 60% of torque to the rear, 40% to front. The one he wants I believe is 50/50 pretty much giving the same amount of torque to both ends all the time. I dont think it does that in fulltime 4wd but 4hi and 4lo would. Regardless it's a chain/aluminum t-case, and not made for much more than 250 HP.

Neither are 60/40 split... that's fancy new-age stuff. It's my understanding the 203 just has an open diff. So if both rear wheels have traction and a front wheel does not, that front wheel is just going to spin and the truck won't move. The 205 is basically just a switch, either one drive shaft is turning (2wd) or both shafts are turning with the same a mount of power going to both.

Modern full-time 4wd it like a 203 with a posi unit. Both shafts get some amount of power, but at the same time, there is some slippage allowed for use on pavement.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
that ' s not the purpose of the topic to speak about the utility or not to have full time 4wd.

What i call full time 4wd is the central differential that give the torque to both axle all the time, not only when there is slippage of a wheel, just like jeep cherokee, grand cherokee, audi quattro longitudinal engine (torsen based system), and subaru impreza, outback.

i know why i want this, and won't try to make think it is better, everybody is free to enjoy his kind of transmission.

hmmm, that's intersting. The way you describe it, then it actually may not be called AWD as its said to be in modern vehicles as I understand it, but what you describe is what I'd want.
Apparantly, maybe Tcases don't operate the way I thought they do. I almost think I want a NP203 with the LOC feature and I'd deal with the Full Time 4wd. I was with the understanding the NP205, NP208 and NP241C were like the NP203 in LOC when in 4WD, but you had the advantage of going into 2HI which put all the power to the rear diffenenrial. So that isn't the case huh???

roadwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodolphe
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 10
Engine Size
The np/nv 242 is on open dif unit 48 front/52 rear, just like a np203 i think. once in part time 4wd is like a np205 in 4hi, the center différential is locked.

even with a blocked center diff, unless you have blocked diff in the front and rear axle your 4wd is only a 0wd, because you can have your front left wheel spinning and you rear right wheel spinning and all the power will be sent to spinning wheels. thats not a trouble for me i am not an hard off roader.

for me th np242 is the best of two world, it has all the option you can expect in a tcase, i didn't say it was the best tcase, propably it's not the strongest.

of course with electronic managment threre is better systems, that can move the vehicle with only one wheel on the ground, but i don't want too much electronic.

1987chevybad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Neither are 60/40 split... that's fancy new-age stuff. It's my understanding the 203 just has an open diff. So if both rear wheels have traction and a front wheel does not, that front wheel is just going to spin and the truck won't move. The 205 is basically just a switch, either one drive shaft is turning (2wd) or both shafts are turning with the same a mount of power going to both.

Modern full-time 4wd it like a 203 with a posi unit. Both shafts get some amount of power, but at the same time, there is some slippage allowed for use on pavement.

Both of my Chevy k30s have the 203 full time. If you weren't in the lock position the truck would never spin tires. Didn't matter if the back tires were on ice the fronts would grab and the truck would launch. It was impossible to spin tires in that truck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamnTexan77