jeep NV242 t-case on a K truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gmule

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Fleetside long bed
Engine Size
The NP 242 uses a viscous coupler inside the t case for the all wheel drive mode. In the awd drive mode it will drive the rear wheels until they slip then the viscous coupler will heat up and apply power to the front output.When you shift into 4x4 it divides the torque split 50/50 front to rear.
The 242 could have either 21 or 23 spline input depending on which jeep application it was built for.
I'm not sure what you are working on but there was a borg warner awd case built for the S-10, Bravada, Astro vans and Typhoon mated to a 4L60E transmision. It is a drivers side drop but it may fit your spline count.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What transmissions are used in the jeeps ??? If the Jeeps used a 700R4 transmission, then it might be possible to do a direct swap, spline count might not be the same.
It could be possible too, and maby easier to install the jeep transmission into Your K model pickup, using an adapter plate between the engine and transmission.
Dealing with the transmissions shifter linkage, might take an after market floor shifter.
The drive shafts would take some work too.

Gmule

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Fleetside long bed
Engine Size
The Jeeps have had a lot of different transmissions over the years.
The common ones I have dealt with are

93-93.3 4.0L AW4
93-95 4.0L AX-15
93.3-98 4.0L 42RE
93-95 V8 44RH 46RH
96-98 V8 5.2L 44RE
98 V8 5.9L 46RE

They all had either a 21 or 23 spline output.

You could break this list out further if you wanted to sort them out by fixed yoke or slip yoke as well.

If you go back to the old full size Jeep Wagoneers those could be had with a turbo 400 coupled to either a dana 20 or a Borg Warner 13-39 quadra trac t case.

Last edited:

roadwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodolphe
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 10
Engine Size
The NP 242 uses a viscous coupler inside the t case for the all wheel drive mode. In the awd drive mode it will drive the rear wheels until they slip then the viscous coupler will heat up and apply power to the front output.When you shift into 4x4 it divides the torque split 50/50 front to rear.
The 242 could have either 21 or 23 spline input depending on which jeep application it was built for.
I'm not sure what you are working on but there was a borg warner awd case built for the S-10, Bravada, Astro vans and Typhoon mated to a 4L60E transmision. It is a drivers side drop but it may fit your spline count.

i'am planing to make a v10(k10) awd truck but also with low range.
In spite i choose the np203, i am not happy of the weight of this TC, but it is the easiest way.

driver side drop TC, can't be use without changing the front axle as i am in France, i don't have access to the same part"s choice as you, and i have the price of the parts are often very expensive.

Gmule

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Fleetside long bed
Engine Size
I think you are probably going with the best solution for your project.
Which V-10 are you going to use?

roadwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodolphe
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 10
Engine Size
v10 = k10 for the year 1987 where C and K are replaced by R and V letter.

my engine is a 305 V8, but to compensate the weight of the np203, i am thincking of a ls1 aluminium engine.

Gmule

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Fleetside long bed
Engine Size
Sounds like a sweet build. I would want awd too.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Neither are 60/40 split... that's fancy new-age stuff. It's my understanding the 203 just has an open diff. So if both rear wheels have traction and a front wheel does not, that front wheel is just going to spin and the truck won't move.

The 203 when stock (AWD/full time 4) has an open center differential when in HI or in LO. You can turn very tight circles and there is no "hop" or wheel slippage/spinning. Then in HI LOC or LO LOC it will lock the center differential. Now if you turn a tight circle the truck will fight you- steering wheel jumps, the truck hops, and a tire has to break loose. For this reason you are not supposed to use it on pavement.

Once you put in the part time 4x4 kit and hubs then HI and LO are 2wd. To use 4WD you need to use HI LOC or LO LOC. The center diff is locked. This is the setup I have. With the center diff locked, having a locker in the rear diff and a truetrac up front makes if very hard to get stuck.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Again, when you guys say AWD... I assume you're meaning Full Time 4wd right???

You do realize an NP203 is NOT AWD. The NP203 just means that 1 of 4 wheels, the one with the least resistance will be propelling the vehicle. Now if you have lockers in the front axle and rear axle this means you will either the front 2 wheels or the rear 2 wheels propelling the vehicle. When I hear of AWD, I'm thinking of wheel sensors and computer etc for traction management and the NP203 doesn't offer anywhere near traction management.

So what you're saying is, you want to run Full Time 4WD if I understand right.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The 203 when stock (AWD/full time 4) has an open center differential when in HI or in LO. You can turn very tight circles and there is no "hop" or wheel slippage/spinning. Then in HI LOC or LO LOC it will lock the center differential. Now if you turn a tight circle the truck will fight you- steering wheel jumps, the truck hops, and a tire has to break loose. For this reason you are not supposed to use it on pavement.

Very Close description here bud, not totally correct. Totally correct in that it is a center differential between the front and rear axles. Provided you don't have lockers in your front and rear diff, you can LOC the differential and not fight the wheels at all since the front axle and rear axle both will differentiate. Some guys do run their NP203 in Hi LOC 24/7 if they have open diffs front and rear even on dry pavement. There is no harm in doing so.

All the LOC does is power the front and rear drivelines equally, so you'd have 1 front wheel and 1 rear wheel moving the truck. When NOT in LOC it just means whichever axle has less resistance well be the axle that moves the vehicle.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Very Close description here bud, not totally correct. Totally correct in that it is a center differential between the front and rear axles. Provided you don't have lockers in your front and rear diff, you can LOC the differential and not fight the wheels at all since the front axle and rear axle both will differentiate. Some guys do run their NP203 in Hi LOC 24/7 if they have open diffs front and rear even on dry pavement. There is no harm in doing so.

All the LOC does is power the front and rear drivelines equally, so you'd have 1 front wheel and 1 rear wheel moving the truck. When NOT in LOC it just means whichever axle has less resistance well be the axle that moves the vehicle.

Hmmm... The front driveshaft needs to spin faster than the rear driveshaft when turning very tight (front tires are driving farther than the rear tires). Once the center diff is locked then it will bind.

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hmmm... The front driveshaft needs to spin faster than the rear driveshaft when turning very tight (front tires are driving farther than the rear tires). Once the center diff is locked then it will bind.

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html

This is true, BUT if you have a differential in the front then the wheel can spin different than the rear, but actually by riding on spider gears in the differential up front The spider gears can actually rotate around themselves.

But, you're totally right in theory. And if you have a locker in the front then all that goes out the window and will have that fight you're talking about. But even your rear wheels if an open differential can also compensate between front and rear, but you'd still have the front 2 tires in fight with each other since they'd be locked together.

roadwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodolphe
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 10
Engine Size
i had a nissan king cab in the past 4x2/4x4 and when in 4HI(locked), i couldn't make tight turn, there always was a wheel jumping i agree with 77K20

Behind "awd" there is a lot of crap hidden, most awd cars nowdays are 2wd running cars that dectect slippage and try to decrease speed speed of the wheel spining to let the others find back grip.

the best known system is from subaru with their symetrical awd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_MXK2nzt2Y

i also have an audi allroad quattro (torsen system), and a panda 4x4 (haldex system), i am loocking for a rockcrawler, but i want to be able to take a roundabout* at the same speed as the others cars without making a 180° turn on the wet.

roundabout is a french speciality type this : 48.573171,2.246225 in the google maps address field ans you'll see how many roundabout by kilometers we've got.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Found this idea of a NV242 interesting so did quite a bit of reading on it tonight.

Did find a place that makes adapters for a TH400 and the 700R4. They cost around $500 though.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np242.htm

From what I've been able to read the NV242 in the Hummer does not have a 2wd position.

And completely off topic.... how did you manage to get 2 full size Chevy trucks in France?? Bet they attract a lot of attention over there.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
i had a nissan king cab in the past 4x2/4x4 and when in 4HI(locked), i couldn't make tight turn, there always was a wheel jumping i agree with 77K20

I guess I've never experienced the bind or lock you 2 are speaking of. I know there is certainly a major amount of torque steer but it was kind of expected. :shrug:

Found this idea of a NV242 interesting so did quite a bit of reading on it tonight.

Did find a place that makes adapters for a TH400 and the 700R4. They cost around $500 though.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np242.htm

From what I've been able to read the NV242 in the Hummer does not have a 2wd position.

And completely off topic.... how did you manage to get 2 full size Chevy trucks in France?? Bet they attract a lot of attention over there.

The Hummer is actually an AWD system like the Cadillac Escalade and GMC Denali isn't it? I almost bought an H2 once and decided not to cuz of the AWD. I wanted 4x4, not AWD. I remember really being pissed off about it and settled for a hard loaded Avalanche 4x4. Not near the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamenobueno