It's here!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok. Tonight I capped every port on the throttle body. That some bitch still continued to idle! So, I ran to the parts store and picked up a can of starting fluid. Came back and fired it up. Soaked the perimeter of the intake and throttle body with it several times until it was empty. There is NOT a vacuum leak! I played with the idle screw for awhile while watching the rpm on my phone. I eventually noticed the TPS was hanging around 2. Now Everytime the ignition is cycled, the TPS resets to zero. By chance I pulled back (closed) on the linkage and the idle dropped while the IAC went up. WTF?

Then I had the eureka moment! The throttle cable adjustment was just enough to keep the primary butterflies open maybe like 1/32 of an inch. So despite the idle screw being backed off completely, the cable was holding it open ever so slightly. This thing is super sensitive! I popped the throttle cable off and the primaries closed and the IAC shot up to 12 to keep it running.

Then it started raining so I put it bed for the night.

More to come tomorrow.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Nice! As long as you’re still getting high nineties to 100% tps with the throttle fully depressed you should be squared away.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Alrighty!!!

Got the throttle cable adjusted properly. Huge difference. Now I can set the target idle at 700 and the IAC drops to where it should be (5-15%).

I'm amazed how smooth this thing idles. One thing I did tonight was upload the latest firmware. Edelbrock gives an excellent step by step how to on their forum. Very simple and easy. The update is version v65 which activates the bus data streams for use with aftermarket digital guages and forced injection.

I also had a side project. Air Horns!!!

I mounted them in the stock location. Easy one wire hookup. These ****'s are loud! 128 fb of dual frequency air horns. I couldn't handle the factory horn. Wimpy by today's standards.

It hope to stop the heart of the next SOB that pulls out in front of me!

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Ok. Tonight I capped every port on the throttle body. That some bitch still continued to idle! So, I ran to the parts store and picked up a can of starting fluid. Came back and fired it up. Soaked the perimeter of the intake and throttle body with it several times until it was empty. There is NOT a vacuum leak! I played with the idle screw for awhile while watching the rpm on my phone. I eventually noticed the TPS was hanging around 2. Now Everytime the ignition is cycled, the TPS resets to zero. By chance I pulled back (closed) on the linkage and the idle dropped while the IAC went up. WTF?

Then I had the eureka moment! The throttle cable adjustment was just enough to keep the primary butterflies open maybe like 1/32 of an inch. So despite the idle screw being backed off completely, the cable was holding it open ever so slightly. This thing is super sensitive! I popped the throttle cable off and the primaries closed and the IAC shot up to 12 to keep it running.

Then it started raining so I put it bed for the night.

More to come tomorrow.
I actually had this with a 4 wheeler... my original carb was junk so i bought a new one. The previous owner adjusted the throttle on a section of the cable and put some kind of rubber case around the adjuster and not at the carb where it should have been. new one had a TINY difference in design, causing to to hold open about 1/4 an inch... that was redline.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
So...how’s it running with the pro flo?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Like a new truck. Zero issues. Very easy to adjust timing and A/F ratios. Starts instantly regardless of temp. Idles smoothly at 700 rpm. Love it as expected.

Gerald Holt

Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L
Like a new truck. Zero issues. Very easy to adjust timing and A/F ratios. Starts instantly regardless of temp. Idles smoothly at 700 rpm. Love it as expected.
How is your fuel economy? Very little data to be found in my searches.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Good to hear. I was skeptical (as I am with most things) due to the reviews on summit. Two out of the three reviews stated the MAP sensor was DOA. But like most reviews, people tend to show up when they have issues.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Good to hear. I was skeptical (as I am with most things) due to the reviews on summit. Two out of the three reviews stated the MAP sensor was DOA. But like most reviews, people tend to show up when they have issues.

My original Pro-flo ran for 15+ years without a single failure. The sensors are GM parts. The PF4 gives you a diagnostic screen if a sensor fails. Just carry a spare of each in the glovebox for extra piece of mind.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Still in love with this thing? I think I’ll pull the trigger to give it a try. Figure while the truck is down, I’ll knock some other stuff out. Also looking at doing a cam, but might wait...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Still in love with this thing? I think I’ll pull the trigger to give it a try. Figure while the truck is down, I’ll knock some other stuff out. Also looking at doing a cam, but might wait...

You know, I really like your style.

"Well, this seems to work pretty decent. Time to try out something different to see if I like it better".

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You'll love it. Do you like the reliability of driving a modern vehicle? Turn the key knowing it's gonna start and get you home?

You won't regret it. And combined with that new NV4500 you might get better milage....up to like 12 mpg. Lol

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You know, I really like your style.

"Well, this seems to work pretty decent. Time to try out something different to see if I like it better".
I know, I have problems. I get ideas in my brain and they won’t go away. There is no known cure.

You'll love it. Do you like the reliability of driving a modern vehicle? Turn the key knowing it's gonna start and get you home?

You won't regret it. And combined with that new NV4500 you might get better milage....up to like 12 mpg. Lol

Crazy part is, I have the sniper, dual sync distributor, msd 6efi and it flat out works. Yes I know you hated yours, but I do see where people are having problems with the PF4 on the eddy forums. I think it goes with the territory of systems more complicated than a carburetor and mechanical distributor, no matter the brand.

I already get more than 12mpg, even with the th400...buuut, maybe I’d like mpfi even more. Unfortunately, I’m already almost $2k into this FI/timing control setup and the eddy setup will be another $2k, so the “fuel savings” argument will take a long time to recoup.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well @Frankenchevy , I hope your day was better than mine!

Converting from auto to manual is about about 8 out of 10 on the pain in the ass scale! I wasn't expecting this much BS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK