Fuel System Upgrade Mech Pump to Edelbrock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jsin

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L 350
This is a brief story of my fuel system upgrade. From rubber lines and plastic $3.00 filter to all AN fittings, billet filter and one steel line.
Here is a list of the part's I used for this:
  • AC Delco mechanical fuel pump
    • Part Number: 40987, RockAuto $25.00
  • Edelbrock Fuel Line Kit w/ Russel Filter
    • Part Number: EDL-81343, Summit $45.00
  • 5/8-18 I.F. to -6AN fitting (I.F.= inverted flare)
    • Part Number: SUM-220667B, Summit $6.00
  • -6AN Pressure Gauge Adapter w/ 1/8 NPT crossdilled hole
    • Part Number: SUM-220675B, Summit $12.00
  • Fuel Pressure Gauge
    • Part Number: SUM-G3122, Summit $15.00
  • Fuel Line
    • (2x) -6AN 90 deg Swivel Hose end
      • Part Number: VPE-21906, Summit $12.00ea.
    • Surplus Stainless Braided -6AN fuel line
      • Had on hand
  • Fuel Pump Push Rod
    • Part Number: 03875, RockAuto $7.00
You must be registered for see images attach

I decided to change the fuel pump push rod because the one that was in there was severely scratched up and I figured for another $7.00 while I had it apart might as well. Here is a little trick for you guys when your changing your mechanical fuel pump. There is a 3/8-16 bolt threaded into the front of the block 90 degrees perpendicular to the push rod. You can see in my picture where the 12 point bolt is sticking out. So here is what you do, before you remove the fuel pump, take out the short bolt that is in that hole. Find a longer bolt, I believe the alternator bolt should work if you don't have one laying around. Thread the longer bolt into that hole just snug, do not over tighten or you could bend the push rod. This new longer bolt will hold the push rod up in place while you remove the pump. Now instead of having to fight with a bent hack saw blade the push rod will stay in place allowing you to install your new pump with ease. Make sure you take out the longer bolt and put RTV on that short bolt before you put it back or it will leak oil.

I had a fairly difficult time figuring out these fittings and what would work and fit with the serpentine system and mechanical fuel pump. I really wanted to go with the AN lines and fittings I am not 100% happy with the result but I am going to run it for now. I had to trim the passenger side serpentine bracket where the smog air pump used to mount. Not a huge deal it came off pretty easy with the 4.5” angle grinder and a cut off wheel, and I probably should have trimmed a little bit more off. I then blended the sharp corners with a 120 grit flap disk on the same grinder. Here are some pictures of the finished result.

Enjoy the ride

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeBeepBeep