Hood Spring(s), Hood, or???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
SO, now that I've got things kinda sorted out and the truck on the road, I want to deal with the way the hood closes, as it's been bugging me.. The back driver side corner (near the window) doesn't close all the way, not even getting under the pin/stud at that point...

Is this the hinge? Is it the spring? Is it both?

I don't think it is because the hood is bent, because the passenger side is bent in the same place, the same amount, and it closes all the way and latches under the pin/stud at the rear passenger corner (near the window)..

Also, do the hinges from LMC come with the spring? They don't say either way, but they sell the springs separately, and I'm not sure if this is because the hinges don't come with them, or it's because you can order them by themselves if you don't want the whole hinge...

Here's some pictures of what's going on with the hood..

Driver side, showing the improperly closed hood

attachment.php

Driver's side, close up

attachment.php

Passenger's side, which closes more like you'd expect...

attachment.php

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
The pictures aren't working for me. Is anyone else having this problem

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
The pictures aren't working for me. Is anyone else having this problem

Oops, sorry! I deleted the attachments as they were duplicates... and since the images still displayed for me, I thought all was well.. I guess not...

Here they are again, in order corresponding with the OP..

Attachments

• C10Hood6.jpg
    C10Hood6.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 177
  • C10Hood4.jpg
    C10Hood4.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 139
  • C10Hood5.jpg
    C10Hood5.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 158

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Maybe try loosening the bolts and seeing if you can adjust it down some. Also make sure that the threads are not stripped in the bolt holes. A ******* did that in my Jimmy's old hood before I got it, and the fitment was crap. I replaced the hood with a salvage yard hood, and it looks normal now. It looks like it'd be something to do with the hinges, but I've not seen one with that amount of discrepant fitment. I've seen the 73-80 style completely ruined, and the fitment was still mediocre.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Maybe try loosening the bolts and seeing if you can adjust it down some. Also make sure that the threads are not stripped in the bolt holes. A ******* did that in my Jimmy's old hood before I got it, and the fitment was crap. I replaced the hood with a salvage yard hood, and it looks normal now. It looks like it'd be something to do with the hinges, but I've not seen one with that amount of discrepant fitment. I've seen the 73-80 style completely ruined, and the fitment was still mediocre.

When I first got the truck, and repaired the door hinge and adjusted the driver's side door, we tried to adjust the hood but could not get it to stop doing this... The bolt holes are not stripped...

I suspect it is the spring, but I'm not sure, and don't really want to shotgun trouble shoot it if at all possible... Hoping someone has seen this and knows, before I go that route..

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Mine was like that, I loosened the hinge bolts and lifted the hood and forced it up as high as it would go and tighten the bolts, closed it and it was perfect, need a helper to lift the hood though..

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Mine was like that, I loosened the hinge bolts and lifted the hood and forced it up as high as it would go and tighten the bolts, closed it and it was perfect, need a helper to lift the hood though..

Hmmm.. I don't think we tried 'pushing it up'..

That's interesting....

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hmmm.. I don't think we tried 'pushing it up'..

That's interesting....
At first it don't seem like it would work, tried all kinds of stuff and it always came out the same, read it somewhere about that so I tried it and bada bing the hood dropped right in position.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Yep, that's the trick right there.

Also, make sure to lube the hinges real well. And if it still doesn't go down all the way at the back, it might be hitting the tall "safety" bolts at the rear of the fender.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Aligning the hood can be tricky, but loosen the bolts that attach the hood to the hinges just enough to make minor adjustments until it will sit correctly with the fenders. Once the hood is in the proper location, use a scratch awl to mark the underside of the hood where the hinges attach. I marked my hood around each hinge...including the location of the mounting bolts. If you ever need to remove the hood again, alignment will be simple. I had to remove my hood after a problem arose with the paint so having the "scratch" reference helped tremendously with the install.

And as always...don't force that hood closed...those years of square are notorious for the hoods creasing just before the hinges. Now would be the time to install the under hood brace.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
You wouldn't think it, but rotating the back of the hinge down pulls the rear of the hood down.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
You wouldn't think it, but rotating the back of the hinge down pulls the rear of the hood down.

Ah yes...one of the many tricks to try. Hoods tend to be the trickiest to align.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
And as always...don't force that hood closed...those years of square are notorious for the hoods creasing just before the hinges. Now would be the time to install the under hood brace.

Mine came creased... So that train already left the station.. But I do want it to close all the way in the back...

I bought some stiffeners, but I don't think I'll bother installing them and instead wait for when I replace the front body pieces, and put them on the new one... I plan to buy new hood, front fenders and head light bezels..

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Creased hoods...yep that will ruin your day. In your other posts regarding hoods and inside releases. Have you considered swapping out to an 80's front clip?. The 80's hoods came with the hood locking mechanism for inside the cab. You may be able to incorporate the hood latch and release for a later year. I guess it really depends on the hood latch itself. My square is an 84, with an 87 silverado front clip. The hood and lock mecahnism came off of an 86 suburban. I had to source the locking mechanism from a donor vehicle and with some minor adjustments, I was able to get it to work. Maybe its possible to do the same for your hood? It may be worth a shot to keep the thieves away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grayson1210