Door skins delaminating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Look what I've found yesterday, this seam appears when I lift the door.

My passenger door is sagging a tiny bit, I was replacing a hinge pin and a worn door striker when I've noticed it. This explains why this door had so much flex in outer door skin when I was using door handle. Also the whole door flexes a bit under it's own weight so the sagging issue was probably caused partially by the door itself and not the pin.

My driver door has some weld marks near the vent windows so I guess it happened on the other side in the past.

Is that a common thing? Is there a factory weld there? Looks like the sheet metal is just folded over one onto anoter without spot welds.

Attachments

• 2023-12-27 19.37.33.jpg
    2023-12-27 19.37.33.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 50

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've seen a few of them do that. There should be some spot welds and they have probably broken free.

I personally believe that it's caused from people that have a habit of flinging the door open and letting it bounce off the hinge stops. Doing that is highly stressful to that specific area of the inner door shell.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1