3/4-Ton 2wd Rear Spring Replacement: Advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCKKen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
Well dang, I hope all goes well with your surgeries. As for the u-bolts, yeah they should be 3 3/8's. I've usually had local shops make u-bolts. When I've bought them online, I've got them from Offroad Design.
Thanks, I have the knee replacement planned for November so I won't miss my part-time jobs as a road course safety worker, but I'm going to miss a couple of weekends with this balance thing.

Greatly appreciate the advice on the U-bolts, I will reach out to some local shops -- they didn't want to do the replacements, but perhaps they'll come through on the U-bolts.

Take Care,
KS

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hope you get better.
Regarding the u bolts, any spring and axle shop should be able to get them for you locally. And available online pretty readily too.
Fwiw, most all mechanical parts for these trucks are still readily available through normal channels. Save buying the expensive stuff from restoration parts shops like LMC for period correct vehicle specific parts.
They are not the best value for run of the mill parts.

KCKKen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
Hi Everyone!

As a quick update, I went to a local shop with what was left of the old U-bolts and they hooked me up perfectly -- it was a third-generation shop, very well versed in what I needed. In a matter of minutes they had me out the door with four new U-Bolts made to duplicate exactly what I had before (without the massive corrosion).

Now I just need a break in the weather, a day I don't feel like ***t, and I can get the rear suspension bolted back together. Thanks for the advice on a local shop, they will get more of my business as time goes on!

Take Care,
Ken Snyder
in KCK

KCKKen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
OK, little steps towards getting this back together.
Finally had enough time and felt good enough to finish removing the passenger's side spring and shock, took about every saw blade I just bought to get the front spring bolt out. New springs are in place, everything's ready to torque down, everything lined up fine.

Now I just need a break in the weather, it's either been way too hot or storming (like right now). My goal is to have it back on the rear wheels before the end of the weekend, weather permitting. Then I have to deal with a valve cover gasket that didn't seal up on the driver's side and do a transmission fluid/filter change, at that point I think I can use it far more than before the issues. Here's a shot of the progress so far -- thanks to everyone that has given me advice so far. Getting this "to do" list wrapped up will allow me to get back on the 85 GMC project!

Take Care,
Ken Snyder
in KCK

Attachments

• IMG_20230728_130811169.jpg
    IMG_20230728_130811169.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 39

KCKKen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
SUCCESS!

Everything is reassembled, torqued, and ready to reinstall the tires. Thanks again to everyone that provided advice, it was a royal PITA but having a good, SAFE, rear suspension setup is well worth it.

I had already replaced the front shocks, when I took the rears off I realize that it needed all four -- glad I bought the full set when I did. Now on to that valve cover gasket and transmission filter change.

Take Care,
Ken Snyder
In KCK

KCKKen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
Final report:
After replacing the driver's side valve cover gasket (again) and the transmission filter/pan (added one with a drain plug) I got the truck out for a short trip around the block -- did good. Tried a couple more blocks around -- still good. Finally, got the truck out on the highway in front of the house. First time had the truck up over 50. Still good!

Need to get the front end aligned and a new exhaust system, but overall I would say it's ready for some work. Took it out to get some supplies for the barn conversion to garage project, and was 100% successful. A couple of smaller projects coming up, but now I can plan for getting the frame for the 85 GMC out to have it blasted and shock mounts repaired, then it will be ready for paint and reassembly.

A heartfelt thank you to everyone that followed along and gave me advice!

Take Care,
Ken Snyder
in KCK

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad