Holley Issues Continue......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Rating what Eddie said about the weights moving freely gave me an afterthought. When I went to carbs in February 2018 I went ahead and got a new MSD Pro Billet distributor. No vacuum advance. Come spring time driving characteristics seemed to change somewhat. To make a long story short, popped the cap and seen where a buildup a white flakey crud was caked on the weight springs and kept them from doing their job. Cleaned all the crap off, a very light coat of lithium grease, o-ring under cap & no problems since. It's the little hidden things that that will mess with you.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was able to drive this as an 'ease-into it' thing once we got the timing corrected. Problem is, around here you cant be driving 15mph for 1/4 mile before getting up to speed. Once its up to speed, its fine. You can also rev it in park. Just that initial under load spell is when it falls on its face. I've got the QJet and all the original vac lines, air cleaner, etc. to try to get it back to stage 0.

Its been 30yrs since my last square body and carb, so I'm more than rusty on its tuning. I was just hoping the thing would cooperate for one fking summer....then I'd have the time to tear into it. But nooooo.

Thanks fellas.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What is the number stamped on the pump squirter and what color is the pump cam? If the carb is unknown, it might have the pump shot set up for an engine with much different needs.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I got it back from the mechanic today - he said he found a port that was metered, and changed the vac adv to it then re-timed it just a couple degrees plus adjusted the acc pump almost as far as it would go. Its 80% better now - I dont do hole shots but can certainly accelerate fairly normal now - not doing 15mph 1/4 miles anymore either. He said he thinks there is an issue with the acc pump - said he's seen something where a rod wears into a wall (?!) - but its very driveable now.

We were going to go back to the rebuilt Quadrajet but the PO's asshat cerebralplegic son I have spoke so fondly of, cut all the wires to the metering rods - not just missing the plug end but pretty much the whole harness. But this rebuilt Holley works as it sits now - is far better than its been since I'm sure before I got it. Didn't cost much and I still have a virgin Q-Jet with new stainless fuel line to peddle when FI / LS time comes. :hat:

Thanks again fellas.

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I got it back from the mechanic today - he said he found a port that was metered, and changed the vac adv to it then re-timed it just a couple degrees plus adjusted the acc pump almost as far as it would go. Its 80% better now - I dont do hole shots but can certainly accelerate fairly normal now - not doing 15mph 1/4 miles anymore either. He said he thinks there is an issue with the acc pump - said he's seen something where a rod wears into a wall (?!) - but its very driveable now.

We were going to go back to the rebuilt Quadrajet but the PO's asshat cerebralplegic son I have spoke so fondly of, cut all the wires to the metering rods - not just missing the plug end but pretty much the whole harness. But this rebuilt Holley works as it sits now - is far better than its been since I'm sure before I got it. Didn't cost much and I still have a virgin Q-Jet with new stainless fuel line to peddle when FI / LS time comes. :hat:

Thanks again fellas.
Was this the same mechanic that said earlier everything was set fine? He couldn’t find a “metered” port as he calls it but now finds one? I’ve only owned one q-jet in my lifetime, but for the life of me can’t recall metering rods being wired or plugged into anything. You had to go inside to make adjustments. Just trying to understand all this. I know I have forgotten more than I think I know:confused:

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
For future reference, where is the advance plugged into now?

Haven't looked yet and dont for the life of me follow along with much of anything he said or explained. All I know is the truck is usable - runs and idles much better now and he only charged me $40. :Big Laugh:

There is a plug on the top of my Q-Jet for something - didn't know what.....from what I have read its started late 84/85 til they went FI.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD