Hiya Folks, new owner, battery, oil, and filter recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iflyfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hi Folks,

I recently inherited my Dad's 73 K20 pickup, and I think this forum may end up being a great resource! My Dad bought the truck new in 73, and I drove it all through high school. It was a farm truck used periodically, and I don't think it has been started for 5 to 10 years. My hope is to see if I can get the engine firing this coming weekend. I have to drive about 4 hours to my Dad's place, and I was hoping to take a fresh battery, oil, and filter with me. However, when I search for parts at my local auto parts store, it gives me recommendations with a caveat the parts may not fit. I am pretty certain the truck has the 350 engine. Any of you folks know the battery group size needed for the K20? The recommended filter looks to be an AC Delco PF-35. I can find a cross reference, but wondering if folks have a favored filter/oil combination. I tend to run Mobil 1 in most every vehicle I own. I'll see this weekend if the carb needs cleaned and how the brakes and tires are. Not sure if I can get it in condition to drive back or if I will have to trailer it. The plan is to start digging into the truck more thoroughly this winter once I have it in my garage.

Presently, I plan only a partial restoration, using as many original parts as possible. That may all change once I get the truck and continue researching options. Looking for inspiration on the forum :)

Cheers,

Ken

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The original battery would be a Group 74, no longer used.

Replaced by a Group 78:

You must be registered for see images attach

You could also use a smaller Group 75:

That is what fit with the original side terminal battery cables. If the cables have been changed, or you don't know, then a better choice is a Group DT78 or DT75:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I run a DT and highly recommend it. I just went to look at it it to get the numbers,but the most of the stickers are gone,so I don't know the group. I think mines a dt 75. But it's really handy,because it is top mount and side mount and I have so many cars and trucks and I can stick this in almost anything temporarily. It even works in my 97 f150.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yeahhhhhh. Sound like fun and it's a good story but THIS IS THE INTERNET.
Pix or it didn't happen yo!

73 is first year that body style and very desirable. Dibs if you decide to sell it huh?

I too use a DT battery. (dual terminal) and that is in fact the goodest choice.
I also prefer the Delco 1218 filter which I believe will interchange with a pf35- which is a one quart without a bypass.

You are in charge of your own due diligence.

If you like Mobil 1 than use Mobil 1.. I run whichever weight the guy that built the motor says to run - year round. Most likely 10w-30 in your case. Conventional will be fine.

Be sure to take a can of store brand carb cleaner with you and change the oil and filter before you turn the key. That's all i'm good for without pix - you're on your own until then. :)

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Wix filters. Interstate batteries have been good to me. I also use dual terminals.

Wix 51061 standard. Or wix 51794 heavy duty, big long guy. Or like the 90's chevys i believe a wix 51036. I use rotella for my oil burners and Schaefer's in my nice stuff.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Bring plugs, wires, fuel filter, ATF (if it's an auto with FT t/case), PS fluid, coolant, brake fluid, and before driving it, check your brakes and brake lines/hoses. There will be lots of dry rubber parts for a 50 yr old truck that hasn't run in 10 years.

iflyfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks everyone for the quick feedback. After thinking about this some more, I have decided to look into a trailer and haul the truck back to my place. Too many things can go wrong on a 4 hour trip with a 50 year old truck that hasn't been run in years. I'll pick up a battery, oil, and filter, and hopefully get the truck to start so I can drive it on a trailer.

I don't have much for pictures yet. All I have is one I snapped a couple of years ago when I was at my Dad's place. I wanted to buy it from him then, but he said, "No, I'm still driving it!" My Dad was 96 at the time and hadn't driven any car in several years. It does have some rust as can be seen in the photo. I don't know how extensive. I'm guessing the mileage is something south of 120K.

Thanks again for the tips on battery and filter.

Ken

Attachments

• 73 K20 Custom.png
    73 K20 Custom.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 48

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Since you like Mobil 1, they sell classic car oil with the high zinc levels (usually about 1200-1300) you need for a flat tappet cam. I know they have the high zinc in 15w50 and 0W40, and I can usually find it’s in stock at the local stores (even Walmart). There are other brands of high zinc oil, but I prefer the local availability.

I’ve been using the 1218 or equivalent oil filter on my truck and it’s a good choice. There is also both a longer and shorter filter that fits, but the 1218 is the stock size.

If your truck is like every other SBC, someone has added a fuel filter in the line running to the curb. If you are going to start the engine, first buy a couple new filters for 3/8” lines, and install a new filter. Then drop the gas tank, clean out all the old fuel and gunk, and refill with about 5 gallons of new gas. Run it during tuning with the initial new filter to catch the remaining gunk, and then put the 2nd new filter in after you are done.
During initial run-up and tuning you can also just run a rubber hose from the fuel pump into a 5 gal can, which bypasses any gunk in the gas tank.

There are multiple short rubber fuel hoses on the truck and cracks or holes can leak under pressure, or let air in under suction ( like a fuel pump), etc. Old rubber hoses may be fine for a while, but will break down with modern gas that has ethanol.
Rubber EFI hose holds up much better, but costs a lot more. Fuel line that meet SAE J30R7 is low pressure EFI (like TBI) and SAE J30R9 is high pressure EFI hose.

The ‘73 did not have HEI, but they started using HEI in ‘75. A new HEI distributor or a junkyard pull from a newer truck will drop right in. Much easier than messing with points. You just need a basic GM large cap HEI.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wow! That truck looks pretty sweet!
Figure out if it still has the side post terminals on the battery cables. If so then any avg size side post will work. If not, any avg size top post assuming like most older vehicles there’s enough slack in the cables.
Bring a charger too. You might kill a battery getting it running.
Oil and filter? Literally doesn’t matter at this point. Anything will work
Fuel pump, I’d grab one of them and a gas can/boat tank to run it off of. Very good chance you won’t want to or be able to use the factory tank, unless it happened to be drained out and didn’t sit with old gas for a decade
Congrats! And even better it’s your dad’s old truck. Very special and pretty valuable being a good condition first year K20

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag