Hiya Folks, new owner, battery, oil, and filter recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome: :

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Hi Folks,

I recently inherited my Dad's 73 K20 pickup, and I think this forum may end up being a great resource! My Dad bought the truck new in 73, and I drove it all through high school. It was a farm truck used periodically, and I don't think it has been started for 5 to 10 years. My hope is to see if I can get the engine firing this coming weekend. I have to drive about 4 hours to my Dad's place, and I was hoping to take a fresh battery, oil, and filter with me. However, when I search for parts at my local auto parts store, it gives me recommendations with a caveat the parts may not fit. I am pretty certain the truck has the 350 engine. Any of you folks know the battery group size needed for the K20? The recommended filter looks to be an AC Delco PF-35. I can find a cross reference, but wondering if folks have a favored filter/oil combination. I tend to run Mobil 1 in most every vehicle I own. I'll see this weekend if the carb needs cleaned and how the brakes and tires are. Not sure if I can get it in condition to drive back or if I will have to trailer it. The plan is to start digging into the truck more thoroughly this winter once I have it in my garage.

Presently, I plan only a partial restoration, using as many original parts as possible. That may all change once I get the truck and continue researching options. Looking for inspiration on the forum :)

Cheers,

Ken
If you get frustrated because it won't start, I have cash.

Where is the truck?

iflyfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@75gmck25 - Good tips. Thank you. I ended up using some Castrol GTX 10-30 conventional. I figured I'd run this for a bit then do an early oil change. I do plan on replacing the hoses as I work through the truck. I'll also look into the HEI distributor.

@Grit dog - Thanks! The battery did have the original side post cables. They are pretty ratty, and I'll eventually replace them. I got a group 78 sized dual terminal and dropped it in.

@Doppleganger - Thanks!

I have a thread i started in the Under Construction forum. But I'll add a quick update here as I first reached out in this thread. I changed the oil and filter, air filter, pulled the plugs and squirted in some Marvel Mystery oil, installed new plugs, topped off the radiator, checked the brake and power steering fluid, and added 5 gals of fresh gas. The tank didn't appear to have much gas left in it, so I thought I'd give it go before dropping the tank. Took a few attempts, but the old 350 fired up. It belched a lot of blue/black smoke for a few minutes then settled down. I kept an eye on the oil pressure, and all seemed good. After a bit, I drove it out the garage and around the subdivision. So cool to be behind the wheel of that old truck. Lots of old memories. I celebrated by giving it a bath!

Now the hard work!

Attachments

• K20-3.png
    K20-3.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 28

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice! That is a beautiful truck! Good ole Chevy

Daron58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 I6
Save yourself the worry and trouble of getting it running and just rent you a U-Haul car hauler trailer and go pick it up and get it home the rental is relatively cheap compared to maybe breaking down midway between destinations just my two cents good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag