HELP,,,,Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drivers side window is down and won't come back up. I have power to switch and test light does what it supposed to do when moving switch up and down. I have also tried using a jumper wire at the switch with no success. Window motor has been moving extremely slow as of late and I was even using my hand to help it up at times. Motor maybe (probably) shot.

Any way to get the window up so I can get it out of my Corvettes parking spot?????

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
While working the switch, smack the lower door area with a rubber mallet. A good jolt sometimes gives them a smidge more life.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
X 2 - they are brush type motors and the brushes wear out. A good smack will often get them to reseat on the commutator - at least enough to make some contact and get a bit more life.

But if that doesn't work, you only need to pull the door panel and reach in. Lift the glass or sash and tape the window in place. The assist spring is designed to help raise the window, not lower it, so you will not be fighting that. The big quadrant gear will just drive the motor backwards.

If your regulators are OEM, the motors are secured to the regulator with screws and nuts. If you unscrew the motor it will come right out and the window will go up that much easier.

Plus, if you buy just a motor, it can be replaced in the door - without tearing the regulator/sash/arms out.

Rockauto is selling OEM motors for $35:

You must be registered for see images attach

GM Original Equipment; Includes motor, backing plate, gear, and post
ACDelco Power Window Motors Feature:
Direct Fit - No missing holes, hardware or mounting brackets
High Torque Motors - window motor speeds same or better than OE
Unique Self-Locking Safety Design
proper Directional Rotation - no issues with windows going down when switch is in the up position
Extension Validation to Ensure Quality - 100% tested for RPM, rotational direction, amperage and torque
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 12487630, 19151479, 24015712

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
this is why I have manual windows. highdesertranger

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, 4 months later and all I have accomplished is getting the old motor to move enough to get the window in the up position. With winter coming on that is major because I have been using a garbage bag to cover the window opening.

I have a new motor and a new switch and I used the new switch to raise and lower the old driver side motor and it does a better job of raising and lowering the passenger side window too.

After today's ordeal, I really need a detailed step by set of instruction with pictures if possible in order to tackle the motor replacement. I see no way to replace the motor without removing the motor/regulator assembly from the door. I don't think I can do that without removing the door glass and possibly the vent window assembly too.

I have done searches on this site and youtube and googled everything I can think of to no avail. If you have personally done this, I'm all ears. If you have a link to share I would be very grateful for that info too. I know this isn't rocket science but there must be some trade secrets out there for those of us who haven't done this before.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus, if you buy just a motor, it can be replaced in the door - without tearing the regulator/sash/arms out.

Rockauto is selling OEM motors for $35:

GM Original Equipment; Includes motor, backing plate, gear, and post
ACDelco Power Window Motors Feature:
Direct Fit - No missing holes, hardware or mounting brackets
High Torque Motors - window motor speeds same or better than OE
Unique Self-Locking Safety Design
proper Directional Rotation - no issues with windows going down when switch is in the up position
Extension Validation to Ensure Quality - 100% tested for RPM, rotational direction, amperage and torque
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 12487630, 19151479, 24015712

I'd like to see that done!

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Most of the time the regulator assembly must come out of the door because the OEM motor is riveted to the regulator. It can be done without removing the vent window and glass but is a pain to do it that way. When I do the repair I remove the vent window and glass.

Did a search on Youtube for a good video on replacement and didn't find anything worth referencing.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If the glass can be rolled about 97% up and taped in place (so you don't have to hold it there), it is very easy to remove the regulator without removing any glass.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the glass can be rolled about 97% up and taped in place (so you don't have to hold it there), it is very easy to remove the regulator without removing any glass.

Can you elaborate? I have the window up now, but I'm not seeing easy anywhere in sight.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Use tape to hold the glass in place. Feel around the channel that is connected to the glass. You should feel an opening like the one in the picture. Remove the four bolts that hold the regulator to the door. Now the trick is to move the regulator around to get the rollers out of the window track using the opening mentioned above. Then continue moving the regulator around to get the roller out of the track on the door. Then remove the regulator from the door. Clamp the regulator arm to the regulator base. If you're lucky there are bolts holding the motor on if not you you will need to drill out the rivets to remove

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 4037T using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Robert pretty much nailed it. You just don't want the window up 100% because it puts a load on the regulator and it will be harder to unbolt. The motor can be unplugged once it's lifted out of the door a little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes