Loose motor mounts? Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
Hello all,

Lately, my 76 K10 has been "klunking" when shifting from reverse to forward or vise versa. It also will occasionally rumble and shake after I turn the truck off. The only thing I can think is that something could be up with the motor mounts but I would greatly appreciate everyone's suggestions.
I also have no idea what to look for when assessing thr motor mounts so any input there would be great

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Reverse to forward clunk can be loss of motion in the differential too.

You can put a floor jack under the oil pan and gently lift the engine while looking at the mounts. Also, under the trans pan and look at the trans mounts.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Bad U joints or a bad transmission mount are more likely to cause clunking in my opinion.

Do what @CalSgt suggested, and look for sloppy u joints while you're under the truck.

Rumble or shaking after turning off the truck could be unrelated.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
Reverse to forward clunk can be loss of motion in the differential too.

You can put a floor jack under the oil pan and gently lift the engine while looking at the mounts. Also, under the trans pan and look at the trans mounts.
Without jacking it up I just climbed underneath and felt the motor mount and a chunk of crispy rubber fell off. So whether or not that's my issue I'm definitely going to replace them.
Will I be able to replace the motor mounts just by jacking it up by the oil pan?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Without jacking it up I just climbed underneath and felt the motor mount and a chunk of crispy rubber fell off. So whether or not that's my issue I'm definitely going to replace them.
Will I be able to replace the motor mounts just by jacking it up by the oil pan?
Yep. Just need to get the tension off the mounts, not jack up the engine real high. And make sure to put a block of wood between the jack and pan

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
Yep. Just need to get the tension off the mounts, not jack up the engine real high. And make sure to put a block of wood between the jack and pan
Thanks!

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
On your rumbling on, just do a search for “dieseling” and you should find a lot of causes and cures. Usually it’s excessive air leaking into the engine via throttle plates or another vacuum leak.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
One side at a time, please!!!!
I forgot to mention that, thanks for telling him.

Definitely one side at a time, don't need to fight the whole assembly when bolting in the new mounts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag